Author Topic: how do you peel your garlic?  (Read 35575 times)

Offline JimboJack

• Contributor
Re: how do you peel your garlic?
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2024, 11:27:12 pm »
single or multiple  cloves ,
if multiple i put them in an empty gym protein shake close the lid and shake for a bit , the skins of the garlic will peel off
depends on age, and size but does work

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2024, 05:30:30 pm »
Still, you didn't really answer the question, are we talking a whole garlic bulb, or a single garlic clove?

If peeling a single clove, you lay it on its side on the chopping board, you top and tail it, and then lay the flat of the knife on it and give it the slightest of taps, just enough for it to yield slightly. After that the skin should just peel off easily.

Even without squashing it at all, the skin should still peel off after you cut the root end off, as demonstrated in the linked video. The squashing just makes the process slightly easier.

https://youtu.be/QjZ1LFqNWRM?si=4oYE8MzgSbOeW9b-&t=2414
The chef in that video did it wrong.  You place the individual cloves of garlic into the metal bowls (I use a soup pot with lid), then shake vigorously.  The dry skin on each garlic clove will separate withing 30-45 sec.  This only works with at least 6 to 10 garlic cloves.  When I make a big sauce with something like +20 cloves, this saves a tone of time instead of individual peeling.

Offline coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2024, 04:14:38 am »
i still feel like it can be shaking in a tumbler for 10 minutes and it wont peel anything. garlic is strong

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2024, 03:07:19 am »
i still feel like it can be shaking in a tumbler for 10 minutes and it wont peel anything. garlic is strong
Your garlic hasn't dried out/been aged enough.  That outer skin needs to be inflexible and dry.  That way, the impacts of the garlic clove causes the core to squeeze, flex and expand randomly, ripping apart/off that outer peel.  If the peel is too flexible, or young, it flexes with the core, staying glued on.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf