Author Topic: IWATSU oscilloscope Cal signal square wave showing as ramped / curved signal  (Read 1408 times)

Offline MichelleTopic starter

• Contributor
  • Automation Engineer
Any ideas what could be causing this? Capacitors inside gone bad? Besides this obvious issue, things appear to do what they're supposed to.

Offline BreakingOhmsLaw

• Frequent Contributor
  • Certified solder fume addict
Looks like you need to adjust your probes to the scope. There's probably a small grub screw somewhere.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Any ideas what could be causing this? Capacitors inside gone bad? Besides this obvious issue, things appear to do what they're supposed to.

You don't tell us what the signal is, what the probes are, what the scope settings are.

If that is a ~1kHz square wave "cal" signal on the scope's front panel, and if you are using a standard *10 "high" impedance 10Mohm probe, then it is probable that you haven't adjusted the probe's low-frequency response.

Such probes will say "for 12-25pF scopes" or similar. Provided the scope's input capacitance is within the stated range, you should be able to fiddle with the probe to get acceptable results. See the probe instructions, or any introductory scope/probe text.

If all else fails, that info (and much more) is in the links at https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/library-2/scope-probe-reference-material/
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline BlownUpCapacitor

• Frequent Contributor
  • pssSSHHH BOOM!
under compensated probe
Hehe, spooked my friends with an exploding electrolytic capacitor the other day 😁.

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
Likely no issue, just more setup work to do.

I've seen some that have the adjust screw on the BNC end, but the basic procedure holds for more or less every scope built since the 70s.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 11:07:48 pm by BrokenYugo »

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
Too many unknowns here.

Are we looking at a signal from a 10x probe connected to the calibrator pin?

If so, it could be a badly compensated probe, it could be a good probe that has the wrong capacitance range for the scope, or it could be a faulty probe. It might be a fault in the scope.  Try a known good probe and adjust it with the tool provided.

Or are we looking at a signal from a signal generator with appropriate termination?

• Contributor
  • Automation Engineer
It's a Lecroy 350mhz 10:1 10Mohm 14pf probe (yes I tried adjusting the screw, changing it from what is pictured makes the sweep worse) hooked up to the oscilloscope's CAL tab, with the scope set to the settings the user manual suggests for calibration. It is supposed to be a square wave. I have calibrated an oscilloscope before and understand how it is supposed to work and look.

The oscilloscope is an Iwatsu 5705, I believe, and didn't come with any probes; this is just a probe I had. I was told the oscilloscope used to work but it has been sitting for a few years and been moved a couple times. I don't know the spec on the original probe besides I believe it's 10Mohm , I just assumed this one would work.

https://probemaster.com/4900-oscilloscope-probe-basic-kit-150-300-mhz/

This (4901-2) is supposed to be a compatible probe to the original iwatsu ss-0060; it's not clear to me how different this is than the lecroy PP002 I tried is.

And yes the probe works fine on another oscilloscope give me a break here guys...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 01:27:41 am by Michelle »

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
This (4901-2) is supposed to be a compatible probe to the original iwatsu ss-0060; it's not clear to me how different this is than the lecroy PP002 I tried is.

The Probemaster 4901 has a compensation range of 10-50pF, meaning it will work on scopes with up to 50pF input capacitance.  IDK what the input capacitance is on your Iwatsu, but it may be higher than the maximum compensation available with that LeCroy probe.  Or, it may be broken.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

• Contributor
  • Automation Engineer
Is there anything I can try to troubleshoot it short of buying a different probe to try?

I have other probes but they are the same or less capacitance.

The thing that makes me wonder is you would think the signal would get better to the farthest end of the adjustment range but it gets worse looking and seems closest to square (not at all) towards the middle of the adjustment (the le croy probe)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 04:03:44 am by Michelle »

Online DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
How about a direct connection from the calibrator output to CH1 ( try ch2 as well) using a straight wire?
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
Take a wire

Connect scope CH 1 input DIRECT to CAL out

If its sq wave, bad probe or uncompensated probe.

See Tektronix Circuits concepts books at W140, BAMA archive,

"Oscilloscope Probe Circuits"

and "Oscilloscope Probe Measurements"

Bon chance

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor

The Probemaster 4901 has a compensation range of 10-50pF, meaning it will work on scopes with up to 50pF input capacitance.  IDK what the input capacitance is on your Iwatsu, but it may be higher than the maximum compensation available with that LeCroy probe.  Or, it may be broken.

That Iwatsu has 32pf±2pF input capacitance.  That fast LeCroy 14pF probe probably cannot be compensated.

The following users thanked this post: bdunham7

• Contributor
  • Automation Engineer
Thanks you guys. I will try wiring directly. I also didn't see the spec for the Iwatsu capacitance so thank you for finding that!

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
Is there anything I can try to troubleshoot it short of buying a different probe to try?

The thing that makes me wonder is you would think the signal would get better to the farthest end of the adjustment range but it gets worse looking and seems closest to square (not at all) towards the middle of the adjustment (the le croy probe)

First you might adjust the horizontal sweep so there were fewer cycles on the screen.  Then, as suggested, use a wire or 1X probe or BNC-to-alligator clip adapter to connect directly to the calibrator output and see what you have.  I'm presuming you do not have another scope handy for testing, but you mentioned you have other probes?  Why not try one?
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

• Contributor
  • Automation Engineer
I don't know why you guys think I don't have another oscilloscope lol. Is it the female name?  :-// :-// :-// I've just never messed with an analog scope before is all, and I'm used to using newer stuff that "just works"

Like I said my other probes are similar (Agilent 12pf) and I know the lecroy probe works fine.

Anyway I just tried a wire going directly from the connector to the CAL output and the waveform looks the same so I guess the problem is with the oscilloscope itself.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 01:46:46 pm by Michelle »

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
I don't know why you guys think I don't have another oscilloscope lol. Is it the female name?  :-// :-// :-// I've just never messed with an analog scope before is all.

No, not because of the name (I didn't even notice it to be frank). We have many non-male members here that are very good engineers...

We presumed no other scope, because first thing I would try would be to test the signal with another (good, working) scope and probe.

• Contributor
  • Automation Engineer
I did use an arduino to generate a square wave and got the same result which I neglected to mention.

Also I was about to shut it down but I changed the volts/div knob and suddenly the signal changed from the swept wave to a square wave (with a plain wire connected)! Now I'm wondering what's actually going on here. I need to get more Electonics cleaner and try cleaning it out possibly.

Anyway like I said I already know this is a good probe so why would I try one with less or same capacitance it makes no sense logically.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 01:53:51 pm by Michelle »

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
I did use an arduino to generate a square wave and got the same result which I neglected to mention.

Also I was about to shut it down but I changed the volts/div knob and suddenly the signal changed from the swept wave to a square wave (with a plain wire connected)! Now I'm wondering what's actually going on here. I need to get more Electonics cleaner and try cleaning it out possibly.

Anyway like I said I already know this is a good probe so why would I try one with less or same capacitance it makes no sense logically.

Ok, that's a good info.

Sure,with old scopes with physical switches, dirty contacts are very common.
For cleaning use pure IPA (Isopropyl alcohol, not the beer!).
Make sure to check in service manual (available on Internet)  to see if any lubrication is prescribed or contacts.

• Contributor
  • Automation Engineer
Thanks, I will give it some cleaning then try one of my probes again, and if it's still not working at that point I now know I will need a higher capacitance probe. That's good to know this unit probably works. It would be a shame to see it go to waste, even if it's sort of obsolete it's still aesthetically pleasing and could be fun to use.

Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't sure if it was OK to just hook up a bare wire. I'm wary of messing up lab equipment!

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
I don't know why you guys think I don't have another oscilloscope lol. Is it the female name?  :-// :-// :-// I've just never messed with an analog scope before is all, and I'm used to using newer stuff that "just works"

Like I said my other probes are similar (Agilent 12pf) and I know the lecroy probe works fine.

Anyway I just tried a wire going directly from the connector to the CAL output and the waveform looks the same so I guess the problem is with the oscilloscope itself.

All standard *10 10Mohm probes should be re-compensated every time they are moved to any different scope. In theory the compensation ought to be checked when moved to a different input on the same scope, but I don't know anybody that bothers.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

• Contributor
  • Automation Engineer

All standard *10 10Mohm probes should be re-compensated every time they are moved to any different scope. In theory the compensation ought to be checked when moved to a different input on the same scope, but I don't know anybody that bothers.

I compensate them every time but I didn't realize that I had to spell out the fact that I know how to do that and that it was the first thing I tried, and also the entire reason I hooked up the probe to the CAL signal to begin with  :-//

Anyway thanks to people providing actually helpful information instead of repeating the absolute most basic stuff and assuming I know 0 at all.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 02:46:23 pm by Michelle »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor

I compensate them every time but I didn't realize that I had to spell out the fact that I know how to do that and that it was the first thing I tried, and also the entire reason I hooked up the probe to the CAL signal to begin with  :-//

Anyway thanks to people providing actually helpful information instead of repeating the absolute most basic stuff and assuming I know 0 at all.

That could have easily been avoided if you had given the relevant information in your first post. Several people have pointed out that lack of information, and you have ignored all of them. Perhaps paragraph 3 of https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/library-2/good-questions-pique-our-interest-and-dont-waste-our-time-2/ might help in the future.

Anyway, won't spend any more of my time helping you in the future.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 03:00:11 pm by tggzzz »

• Contributor
  • Automation Engineer

That could have easily been avoided if you had given the relevant information in your first post. Several people have pointed out that lack of information, and you have ignored all of them. Perhaps paragraph 3 of https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/library-2/good-questions-pique-our-interest-and-dont-waste-our-time-2/ might help in the future.

Literally in the title of the thread it says it's the calibration square wave signal, if by help you just mean mansplain and assume I don't know anything then I don't need your help. If you read the things I posted you would see that I eventually provided all of the relevant information yet you still tried to mansplain to me how you're supposed to calibrate the probe every time.

Other people though have given me useful troubleshooting info.

And yes I'm being snarky because I always get treated this way and it gets tiring. I am a real engineer and probably know a lot more than you think. I need to just stay off of internet forums. Never argue with a guy with 19000+ posts  :-DD
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 03:26:34 pm by Michelle »

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor

The reason I assumed you don't have another oscilloscope handy is that if you do, the totally obvious thing to do is to look at the calibrator output of the Iwatsu with a known good scope and vice versa.  You've verified that there is a problem with the oscilloscope but now you would want to determine whether it is the calibrator output or a problem with the rest of the oscilloscope.  With the additional information you provided it seems clear that the problem is with the scopes input circuitry, but have you tried the other channel?

As for others making assumptions about your gender and "mansplaining", the real issue is that despite other advanced knowledge you may have as an automation engineer, you are asking a very basic question here that reflects a lack of familiarity with the topic at hand.  If the topic is old analog scopes, I'm pretty sure you could learn quite a lot from this forum and plenty of people will be happy to help.  Other new members have asked similar questions and gotten similar answers so nobody is discriminating against you.  I see nothing in your initial query that would indicate that you know about calibrating probes.  In fact, your comment about the Agilent probes being "similar" because they have an input capacitance of 12pF indicates that your knowledge of the matter isn't as complete as you might imagine.  But I won't "mansplain" what the term "compensation range" means to you unless you ask since it probably isn't relevant to your immediate issue.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 03:54:08 pm by bdunham7 »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor

Literally in the title of the thread it says it's the calibration square wave signal, if by help you just mean mansplain and assume I don't know anything then I don't need your help. If you read the things I posted you would see that I eventually provided all of the relevant information yet you still tried to mansplain to me how you're supposed to calibrate the probe every time.

Other people though have given me useful troubleshooting info.

And yes I'm being snarky because I always get treated this way and it gets tiring. I am a real engineer and probably know a lot more than you think. I need to just stay off of internet forums. Never argue with a guy with 19000+ posts  :-DD

I have many calibration square wave signal sources; most are not part of a scope.

Yes, you did eventually provide all of the relevant information. Given that you didn't post it initially, and the very basic question, the reasonable initial presumption was that you are an inexperienced beginner. I'm not the only one to think that.

Why do you think "19000+ posts" is relevant? I don't. Rather than "stay off of internet forums", I suggest it would be better to use them effectively as a communication mechanism.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf