Author Topic: Decoding Amscope's offerrings?  (Read 382 times)

Offline TedmarsgoTopic starter

Decoding Amscope's offerrings?
« on: May 22, 2024, 05:09:36 am »
I'm looking to spend around AU$1000-1400 (~$US700-1000) on a stereo micro-scope for board repair/data recovery, with Amscope seeming to fit the bill.

I want simul-focal trinocular & -45x, that quite I'm sure of. Everything else confuses me.

1. What is the gold standard in this category?
2. I see the SM745NTP lauded -- I would go with this but they seem to only sell the head separately (why?), meaning the total bill is really stretched.
3. What about the SM-3NTP, SM4TP, SM-4T.

What does any of this even mean?

4. Also will -45x be enough for really fine repairs with data recovery? Or is it better to get 90x w/ heaps of light?

Cheers for any guidance.

Offline points2

• Contributor
Re: Decoding Amscope's offerrings?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2024, 10:43:20 pm »
Hi Tedmarsgo,
my experience with this Amscope => https://eleshop.eu/szm7045xt-stl2.html
coupled with a 0.5x Barlow lens

I can solder "easy" any 0201 case (R / L / C)...
I hide that I can soldier even tinier stuff but this is ok when I drank too much coffee prior to the "work"  :palm:

Joke apart,
- Any Amscope is a gem vs what you can with it...
- You can do so many tiny tweaks / mod with such a "cheap" & dead reliable (sturdy contruction) product
my 2 cents

The following users thanked this post: Tedmarsgo

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 04:27:39 am »
Thanks for that link, it has a 'model overview' table 1/4 way down comparing 3T, 3TP, 4T, 4TP, ZM-4T, and 8TP.

Takeaways: P = simul-focal, 3 = single boom, 4 = dual boom, 8 = swivel arm.
Out of those it looks like they all have the same heads with the exception of the ZM-4T (which is totally sold out everywhere online anyway).

This has answered quite a bit but I still don't know what:
- N means (SM-4TP)
- or the X (SM-4NTPX); comparing on Ebay it seems this means just a Barlow lens with the X? Only $20 more which makes sense.
- or where the SM745NTP fits (especially considering this is the term used just for the head, whereas above the numbers seem to specifically refer to arm type).

I saw a video of someone who said after ringing not even the Amscope reps knew, but that basically there were 2 main heads being used, with everything else being accessories.

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 06:23:52 am »
1. What is the gold standard in this category?

The Japanese microscopes from the 1980s Amscope's contract manufacturer(s) are copying? I don't know the market in Oz, but if you are not in a hurry and like to tinker with your tools (or do not mind that), a good used microscope from the 1980s or 1990s could be just the ticket.
-John

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 08:08:11 am »
Yeah it's not like the US at all here in Australia in terms of second hand options.

Anyway I found out what the N is:

"With the NTP model, Amscope moved the diopter-adjustment from the ocular ports to the individual eyepieces. Also, retention screws now hold the eyepieces in place, and independent focus adjustment can be made with each eyepiece. Also new is a zoom-lock, which allows you to lock the head at a specific magnification -- might be handy for measurement applications. Lastly, they redesigned the nose cone such that it now features an integrated mounting ring for ring illuminators."

- from @johnstrika4379 (Youtube)

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 08:22:04 am »
Amscope i just one reseller/way to get the same microscope.

Check out Eakins or the seller Luckzoom on aliexpress. It's all the same rebranded microscopes.

Sometimes you will find better deals if you look around.  Amscope tend to have higher profit margins.

I've ordered 4 microscopes from luckyzoom (personal and work) on aliexpress and never had an issue.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf