Author Topic: Design a New Precision LCR Tweezers with Much Lower Cost 【Shannon Tweezers ST42】  (Read 123848 times)

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
Thank you both, but I would like a concrete answer to my question about what makes this device better than cheaper ones to buy.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Thank you both, but I would like a concrete answer to my question about what makes this device better than cheaper ones to buy.

Top right -> "Print" button -> Ctrl-F -> type "Mastech"
Better accuracy, 1.0V range, diode test, etc.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 10:57:54 pm by thm_w »
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.

The cheaper products are usually junk by comparison. Any tweezers I've seen that compare at all cost 3 times as much, and typically are not better. These were not my first tweezers, anything else I tried got returned.

I love using these tweezers when I need a quick measurement, or maybe need to measure something away from my bench where the ST2832 is. My DE5000 almost never comes out of the drawer unless somebody asks something specific about the DE5000.

When I use the bench LCR, I let it warm up, calibrate it after warmup time, etc... These tweezers are fast, and if you need to calibrate, that's fast too.

I did buy the ST42 before I bought the ST2832, but had I bought them the other way around, I would have still got the ST42 for it's portability and price. The "real" tweezers for the bench LCR cost just as much. If you look at my cal tests for the earlier firmwares for the bench LCR, I included readings from the ST42, which was always exactly as expected.

It's a solid performer, but whether or not you need it is up to you. I think it would wind up being both highly useful, and still one of your least expensive pieces of TE. 😉
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.

The cheaper products are usually junk by comparison. Any tweezers I've seen that compare at all cost 3 times as much, and typically are not better. These were not my first tweezers, anything else I tried got returned.

I love using these tweezers when I need a quick measurement, or maybe need to measure something away from my bench where the ST2832 is. My DE5000 almost never comes out of the drawer unless somebody asks something specific about the DE5000.

When I use the bench LCR, I let it warm up, calibrate it after warmup time, etc... These tweezers are fast, and if you need to calibrate, that's fast too.

I did buy the ST42 before I bought the ST2832, but had I bought them the other way around, I would have still got the ST42 for it's portability and price. The "real" tweezers for the bench LCR cost just as much. If you look at my cal tests for the earlier firmwares for the bench LCR, I included readings from the ST42, which was always exactly as expected.

It's a solid performer, but whether or not you need it is up to you. I think it would wind up being both highly useful, and still one of your least expensive pieces of TE. 😉
I endorse this 100%. ^^
My now retired ST3 was once the bees knees and even all those years ago when Dave reviewed them I could never understand how he couldn't see the value in SMD tweezers.  :-//
I brought ST3 cheap for the sorta $ Shannon now wants for ST42 darn near 20 years back and never regretted it for a minute.
IME SMD tweezer legs will spread to some 30mm which permits connection to all but the larger TH components that we encounter less and less these days.
Mine's had more TH work primarily for fault finding and measuring those darn useless unmarked SMD caps  :horse: but probably most use has been to confirm dud electrolytics with high ESR of which it has found many, however.....

ST42 is totally next level !

I'll challenge anyone to a race to measure all the common components using the Auto mode vs any bench or other HH device !
2-3s boot and it's ready to go, faster than you can turn a rotary dial on any DMM.
Test leads, who needs any more than is totally necessary on the bench ? 4 wire measurements to the tips...and yes I have $ $ Kelvin clips that I just don't use. Again  :horse:

I've tried a couple of cheap SMD tweezers some years back outta curiosity and quickly gifted those POS to others that might have lesser expectations......and one was a Mastech !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Last to RH choice is NZ$244.95 for us. Everything except the pocket pouch.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
There's always an "ouch" involved somewhere with any pair of tweezers.   :-/O

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
I would like a concrete answer to my question about what makes this device better than cheaper ones to buy.

This seems to be more difficult than expected.
Guys, you're forcing me to experience it myself.... ;)
But I'm curious by nature, so it probably won't be long now....

Offline ceut

• Regular Contributor
I would like a concrete answer to my question about what makes this device better than cheaper ones to buy.

This seems to be more difficult than expected.
Guys, you're forcing me to experience it myself.... ;)
But I'm curious by nature, so it probably won't be long now....

I think all has been said :-+
I was looking for a LCR Tweezers too, have listened to master @tautech  8) and buy the ST42  :)
I don't have much money, the ST42 was in my budget, and now I'm really super happy with it.
And also great support from @Shannon  ;)

The only true competitor is the russian one (but impossible to buy it), all others are bullshit (the worst is the DT-71).
My previous post is here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/lcr-tweezers-test-and-analysis/msg5234478/#msg5234478

I think the best thing you could do is to check Youtube reviews (I have done that for many hours ;D )
You will see for example that the mastech is slow, and have low precision, with a not backlighted LCD screen, lacks of setting/calibration etc..

In DMM form factor: the Uni-T UT622E seems to be the best (better than the DE-5000), but no much review on it.

Edit: you can check my non-professional review on Youtube here  :D

« Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 07:19:35 am by ceut »

The following users thanked this post: tautech, battlecoder

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
Can confirm, DT71 is absolute trash. That was one of the tweezers I ordered before the ST42.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

The following users thanked this post: battlecoder

Offline paul_b_78

• Contributor
Hi Shannon Tweezer,

I am getting a Connection Timeout when I try to upgrade the latest firmware -See attached image

Is anyone else having the same problem?

I have followed the necessary steps.

I even "turned off" my Realtime virus scanning in case it was causing the issue, but it still refuses.

Online watchmaker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
    • Precision Timepiece Restoration and Service
Hi Shannon Tweezer,

I am getting a Connection Timeout when I try to upgrade the latest firmware -See attached image

I even "turned off" my Realtime virus scanning in case it was causing the issue, but it still refuses.

I just tried the win.exe in the zip package posted for May.  First got a virus warning (picked "run anyway") and then got a command screen that popped up and quickly closed before I could read it.  Win 11, all updates.  Tried twice.
Regards,

Dewey

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
Hi Shannon Tweezer,

I just tried the win.exe in the zip package posted for May.  First got a virus warning (picked "run anyway") and then got a command screen that popped up and quickly closed before I could read it.  Win 11, all updates.  Tried twice.

It doesn't work that way. It needs to be run from a command prompt. You use it by typing the command followed by the com port. I renamed the updater file to fwu.exe (because I don't want to type the whole thing), then run it by typing "fwu.exe com6" without the quotes.

Your firewall or antivirus might stop it from connecting to the internet, obviously it won't work if it can't download the firmware.

It can't update right now because the ota server appears to be down. I emailed Shannon, hopefully they'll have it fixed soon.

The following users thanked this post: watchmaker

Offline ShannonTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi Shannon Tweezer,

It doesn't work that way. It needs to be run from a command prompt. You use it by typing the command followed by the com port. I renamed the updater file to fwu.exe (because I don't want to type the whole thing), then run it by typing "fwu.exe com6" without the quotes.

Your firewall or antivirus might stop it from connecting to the internet, obviously it won't work if it can't download the firmware.

It can't update right now because the ota server appears to be down. I emailed Shannon, hopefully they'll have it fixed soon.

Sorry for that.

The server has crashed, and it has been fixed now, please try again.
"Connection to ota.shannontweezers.top timed out." is server error.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2024, 11:57:26 pm by Shannon »
Nature and Nature's laws lay hid in night:
God said, Let Newton be! and all was light.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, KungFuJosh, watchmaker

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
Confirmed fixed, and it updated super fast. I have fw v1.5.4 now. Thanks, Shannon!

The following users thanked this post: Shannon

Offline paul_b_78

• Contributor
I can confirm, Shannon sorted the problem, and I was able to complete the Firmware update.  Must have crashed at there end.

Latest update is so much better than the last one.

I can't think of anything else these tweezers could actually do anymore.

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
Latest update is so much better than the last one.
In what respect exactly?

I'm looking at the changelog and can't justify going through the effort of upgrading, as my tweezers work just fine as is (still using factory firmware).

Were there any changes besides those mentioned in the changelog at https://shannontweezers.top/docs/upgrading-firmware/ ?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf