Author Topic: AD18 Altium 18 problem with KeepOut-Layer  (Read 8835 times)

Offline Kanc1erzTopic starter

• Contributor
  • Being a noob the whole life :)
AD18 Altium 18 problem with KeepOut-Layer
« on: April 06, 2018, 04:56:26 pm »
Hi again.
I have a problem with activating KeepOut Layer.
In menu Layers (L) I checked the eye (which was crossed-out) and I can see this layer in layer bar, however when I switch to it and try to e.g. draw a line it switches me automatically to multilayer. Any existing line, for instance drawn in mechanical 1 I can't switch to KO (there is no such a layer to select). In layer menu, when I click "Used On" it hides KO so I assume, that KO Layer is switched off, however how can I enable it?

Please - help again :<

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
Re: AD18 Altium 18 problem with KeepOut-Layer
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 06:14:43 pm »
The Keepout layer gets special handling.  Use the tools under Place > Keepout to place objects on the keepout layer.

https://www.altium.com/documentation/1.0/display/NEXUS/((Object+Specific+Keepouts))_AD
(That link is for Nexus, but it looks to be identical in AD18.)

The following users thanked this post: Kanc1erz

Offline mengfei

• Regular Contributor
converting Keep out to Mechanical Layer in AD18
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 08:48:59 am »
...Also How do you convert Keep out Layer to Mechanical Layer, it was so much easier with AD10

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 05:52:51 am »
Well, you did not write, what Altium-Version you are using. So i just assume you are using AD 18.1

To place stuff on the KeepOut-Layer: (P)lace -> (K)eepout -> your choice ...(T)rack as example.
(Remember: You don't have to use the "Alt"-Key to access the menus with the keyboard.)
Important: I think you need to define, whats kept out.

To Move stuff from the Keepoutlayer to an mechanical layer: I think you can just select the stuff and then pick another layer in the properties panel. But i'm not 100% sure there and i don't have AD18.1 at home.

Offline Andromedam31

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 10:46:17 am »
Hi are you able to change Keep-out layer to Mechanical layer in AD18 yet? I just update from AD15 to AD18 , I also down-grade to AD17 but AD17 did the same thing to keep-out layer too. I used to convert Keep-out layer to another mechanical layer, but now I can't do that, I want to cry now. :palm:

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 05:53:45 pm »
I would just copy that tracks from the Keepoutlayer to another layer.

Simple: Select it -> Strg+C -> select anchor -> switch to another layer -> edit->paste special -> paste on layer

Offline PeteT

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 09:25:24 am »
I would just copy that tracks from the Keepoutlayer to another layer.

Simple: Select it -> Strg+C -> select anchor -> switch to another layer -> edit->paste special -> paste on layer

Excellent, thanks for this.  We've skipped a couple of Altium upgrades and arrived at AD19 - there are some great features but other things which used to be easy have become very difficult. I appreciate that some uses of keepouts (layer specific etc) have got better, but wanting the outline of a board on the keepout is pretty standard practice and this method solves the issue  :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf