Author Topic: Advice before I jump off the deep end  (Read 29348 times)

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
Re: Advice before I jump off the deep end
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 10:43:02 pm »
I've been idly wondering if it'd be possible to write a serial decoder for that class of machine using the SDK HP produced for writing inverse assemblers.  I've only briefly glanced through the example code, but it might be plausible; just haven't got around to trying it yet.  (Of course I presume the 1660s have that facility; my 1650B does, and I'm pretty sure it's from a lesser series!)

I'm sure you could easily do just that, it would take a bit of time though to achieve something fairly polished and robust.   Instead you might want to consider the $30 Bus Pirate http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Bus_Pirate

Yeah, but that's nowhere near as much fun ;)  Far more practical, of course, but practicality's for the day job!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2012, 12:38:09 am »
These are the reasons why I personally prefer analogue, even if that means losing the ability to capture single shot events.

Without a digital scope you are losing:
- single shot capture ability
- deep memory ability (capture and zoom detail, much better than dual timebase on analog)
- roll mode ability
- peak detect ability (much better than analog if you just want to capture glitches)
- advanced triggering features
- pre-trigger display capability
- FFT and other measurement capability
- signal decoding etc
- screen capture ability (for documentation)
- data dump ability (for analysis)
- waveform replay ability (like on the new Rigol 2000)
- infinite persistence
(have I left anything out?, probably)

Most of those things are massive advantages and new abilities enabled only by digital scopes.

All that, for giving up the ability to see real time intensity grading (unless you pay mega dollars), and maybe slightly more complicated to drive - hell yes!
And now you can get intensity grading (DPO-like) functionality on sub $1K digital scopes.
There simply is no contest any more.
You do not have a properly equipped lab unless you have a digital scope.

Dave.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 12:42:57 am by EEVblog »

Offline majorkuso

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2012, 08:52:49 pm »
What do you guys think of the saelig scopes I have one can't remember the model haven't used it enough and I have at least one BK precision Analog scope that I need to see if it works.

Offline MakerDino

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2012, 03:37:36 am »
Ahh yes digital offers more features, but I still love the SMELL of my old 1968 Tek 453 running along all warmed up! :) Call it Grandpa!

Offline scknight

• Hack Everything
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2012, 09:17:09 pm »
Dave, you mentioned in this thread and also in the amp hour this week "That is why I encourage beginners to get a cheap (or free) analog scope first."

What I'm wondering is if anyone in this thread can point me to where they're finding these free or super cheap scopes.

Thanks.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2012, 09:20:24 pm »
What I'm wondering is if anyone in this thread can point me to where they're finding these free or super cheap scopes.

You ask nicely on places like here, with your location and how much you are willing to pay for postage etc.
You ask at local schools and universities etc.
And you hunt on ebay, craigslist, and other online places.

Dave.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2012, 03:06:49 am »
Hamfests are another good place to look for such stuff,as often,when older Hams move to Retirement villages,they divest themselves of all the accumulated stuff of years.

Although you can do a lot of good work with most 'scopes,try to get one with several channels,& Delayed timebase,as these things make for much greater versatility.

I like Tektronix stuff,personally,but there are other good brands.

Remember,though,things like  the 100MHz Rigols,are very cheap these days.

Get both!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf