Author Topic: Digikey or Mouser?  (Read 17275 times)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Digikey or Mouser?
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2019, 03:50:18 am »
I generally put together an order on Digi-Key, Mouser, and Arrow to see which one wins. Sometimes I'll even split an order if it makes sense. Arrow's free shipping is, of course, particularly advantageous for heavy items (stocking up on leaded solder, anyone?).

Mouser's project manager is nice. Digi-Key and Mouser have pretty good search. Arrow's search and site navigation is abysmal, but free overnight shipping can turn the tide.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2019, 07:22:24 am »
Digikey always been expensive, even when they started in the 1970's. But they have incredible service, a finely tuned machine that ships fast and accurately. So you're paying extra for that, and their inventory.
They used to cater to small orders for hobbyists and builders, but now they don't stock through-hole and boutique parts like they used to. It's all about high volume SMT now.
Companies I've worked for, Purchasing doesn't buy production quantities from Digikey. Arrow and Future have much better pricing there.

Mouser has slightly better pricing and more interesting manufacturers. Slower to put your order together and just a disaster if there are any problems, backorders or questions. Slower to ship about half the time.

I order from both but in a hurry Digikey is unbeatable unless there is a snow storm.

Offline JxR

• Supporter
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2019, 07:32:25 am »
Mouser has slightly better pricing and more interesting manufacturers. Slower to put your order together and just a disaster if there are any problems, backorders or questions. Slower to ship about half the time.

I order from both but in a hurry Digikey is unbeatable unless there is a snow storm.

This is pretty much my experience as well.  My Digikey orders typically arrive two business days after I order, and pretty much always ships the same day.  Mouser seems to just sit on my order for days at a time before even shipping.  Not every single time, but they are just not as consistent as Digikey in my experience.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline viperidae

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2019, 09:42:05 am »
I usually go with element14. Despite being in NZ and their warehouse being in Australia it never takes more than two days, sometimes one.

I just placed an order last night with mouser and they reckon it's going to be here by monday. Tracking details say it's coming from Dallas.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2019, 02:54:33 pm »

I can buy as a non-business customer at Farnell here in France, is this something specific to Germany ??

I guess so. In Germany, Farnell uses a partner company for private customers, but their web shop is abysmal and the catalog is much worse. Almost as bad as Conrad.

Gesendet von meinem Nokia 6.1 mit Tapatalk

Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline Terraformer

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2023, 01:46:40 am »
I don't recommend digikey  :--. Ordered parts 6 days ago, entered credit card details and was hoping to get order in at most 5 days. Result: after 6 days order still has status "received". I was messaging to support but looks like they use AI models in chats. Even when message says it transfers you to agent looks like it's not. In multiple chats answers syntactically very similar. After 6 days I've canceled an order. Ordered from mouser and voila, everything already got shipped, in just couple hours. Ps: I've used the same payment details.

Offline PixieDust

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2023, 02:26:15 am »
I find that no single distributor is best. Each sometimes has and sometimes doesn't have what I need. So I go with whoever has what I need when I need it. If both have it, then I obviously simply go with the cheaper of the two. But I don't have a preference for any single seller.

Offline LinuxHata

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2023, 05:00:44 am »
Can't say anything for Mouser, since never ordered from them, but, recently, digikey went nuts - I was ordering couple of Atmega168s and corresponding stuff, like crystals, sockets, etc. ($100 grand total)
So they sent me different forms to fill in, like who will be end user of these parts, why I need them, where they will be used, I agree that I will not send these parts to Iran and so on.
Feels like I was placing an online order for a nuclear warhead :D

Ok, I filled it all, scanned and sent them back, they shipped and everything is fine.
However, I found that I forgot some components and decided to place an order again.
They AGAIN sent me all that paperwork to fill, but my shipping address, billing and everything was exactly the same as in previous order.
When I asked them, why I need to do this all the time, they said - "this is the law"

So I gave up and now ordering parts from LCSC - while their inventory is not that good as digikey's, and atmega's are a bit expensive there, they have much more cheaper parts available and they do not ask silly questions, like digikey does.

Offline metebalci

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2023, 05:21:29 am »
I use digikey when possible, although I am geographically closer to mouser, digikey is always faster (usually one day). I didnt have any particular problem regarding export compliance with neither. I also rarely use farnell due to availability and because they also have a local stock so I might get the item next day.

Offline Dan123456

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2023, 09:48:48 am »
I have only used Digikey so far but that was pretty much just because I find their filtering system really easy to use  :)

I really like just browsing IC’s for project ideas and find that easier to do with Digikey :D

For instance, Digikey allows me to filter by “through hole” etc. where as Mouser doesn’t appear to let me do that.

Maybe I’m just using the Mouser site wrong* but if that is the case, I’ll change my argument to say Digikey’s UI is a little more friendly  :P

*Feel free to let me know if I am using it wrong! The more suppliers the better I reckon :)

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2023, 12:52:53 pm »
I once ordered a few beaglebones and some other stuff from mouser. After a month the stuff still did not arrive and when I started digging I found some message about export restrictions and I had to promise I'm not a terrorist. As a result I canceled the order and bought the beaglebones from Antratek (Small shop in the Netherlands).

The following users thanked this post: Dan123456

Offline Spectral_Duck

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2023, 02:11:33 pm »
I prefer to order from Mouser, delivery is quick, and I find their component filtering easier to use. 

Offline EPAIII

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2023, 11:06:37 pm »
Not sure I agree with that. As I recall, DigiKey originally had discounts on almost every order. Only way not to get one back then was to order just one or a small number of everything. Was that the 70s? I don't exactly remember. But I did start using them almost when they first appeared.

TODAY: I am always working on a tight budget. If my order is for any real amount, like $100 or more, I will check both DigiKey and Mouser. And sometimes others like Newark, Arrow, and wherever I think I can get a better price. For me, in SE Texas, delivery is about the same in both cost and time from either of them.

I will say that the one I wind up using the most is Mouser.

This applies not only to my own, small one man company, but also to when I was employed by others in the past 20 to 25 years.

So far I have placed one order via Ali Express. It came from China so delivery was around two weeks. Price of the delivery was more than the cost of the parts. Yes, I am satisfied with that order, but it was only very simple things, like small, multiple connector boards.

Digikey always been expensive, even when they started in the 1970's.

...<snip>...

Paul A.  -   SE Texas
And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
You will find that it has discrete steps.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2023, 01:55:28 pm »
Not sure I agree with that. As I recall, DigiKey originally had discounts on almost every order. Only way not to get one back then was to order just one or a small number of everything. Was that the 70s? I don't exactly remember. But I did start using them almost when they first appeared.
Ever notice how most Digi-Key part numbers end in -ND? That stands for "no discount", referring to that standard discount that I guess was once offered.

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2023, 06:45:26 pm »
I've used most of them depending on what I want and who has it.  Probably use DigiKey the most just for their super fast shipping and my orders are usually over the free-shipping threshold.
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline alligatorblues

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2023, 03:31:39 am »
I use Digikey. If I make a purchase, and I find the item cheaper anywhere else that stocks the parts, they'll refund my payment source for the difference. I have to attach a screen shot.

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2023, 02:40:47 pm »
I make my parts lists on both Mouser and Digi-key because sometimes one is significantly less expensive than the other for specific items.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf