Author Topic: How to move a circuit from a Breadboard to a PCB  (Read 1518 times)

Offline PCBEnthusiastTopic starter

How to move a circuit from a Breadboard to a PCB
« on: October 04, 2018, 10:12:04 am »
Hello,

So I recently started getting into electronics, and I have built a little light circuit. I would like to know how to move that to a proper PCB board as a permanent circuit?? (In terms of how to connect it). Sorry if this seems like an easy question but I haven't really been able to get a solid answer.

Offline Nitrousoxide

• Regular Contributor
Re: How to move a circuit from a Breadboard to a PCB
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 10:20:37 am »
That's quite a big question. And its not an easy question (which is probably why you cant find many solid answers to it).

Dave has posted many videos about PCB design, so if you search the EEVBlog channel you can find a couple:

My best recommendation is to just go ahead and attempt to layout a PCB yourself, post it on the forum and get the feedback of other users. The best way to get good at PCB layout is to just practise.
Sure, there are some key rules that you should adhere to, such as:

- General layout and flow of components (connectors on side of board, power "section", digital "section")
- Grounding practises (Either star or planes depending on application)
- Isolation (HV, supply domains)
- Length/Impedance matching (more of an advanced topic, you probably wont find the need to do so)
- Minimise/Prevent dI/dt or dv/dt parasitic (current loops or parallel coupling)
- Good decoupling practices (moreso a schematic issue)

In terms of process? You can do that once you've drawn up the schematic in your CAD of choice (I'd recommend Altium, you can use KiCad or whatever pleases you), you can then lay out the PCB by placing components and routing traces/via.

Perhaps you could share the schematic/a first attempt and we could give you a pointer on where to get started?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 10:23:10 am by Nitrousoxide »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 11:36:00 am »
Hello,

So I recently started getting into electronics, and I have built a little light circuit. I would like to know how to move that to a proper PCB board as a permanent circuit?? (In terms of how to connect it). Sorry if this seems like an easy question but I haven't really been able to get a solid answer.
Well, spinning a PCB is one option. For a simple circuit, though, building on protoboard may be sufficient. Or Manhattan construction. (I need to try that sometime!)

The following users thanked this post: PCBEnthusiast

Offline Peabody

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 01:14:36 pm »
Ebay has pre-etched PC boards laid out in the same pattern as a breadboard, so moving a circuit over is pretty simple.  Of course at some point you may want to get into board layout, but for just-one projects, these can save you some time and money.  Also available are adapters that let you use some of the SMD parts as through-hole DIP.

Something like this could be an intermediate step for you:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192510393485

Offline ggchab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 01:20:08 pm »
I would do a real PCB. This will take some time to learn the software, draw the schematic,... But when you have the PCB in your hands, you will be very happy  :D
And this is an experience you'll need for the following projects  :)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 01:50:58 pm »
What benefit do you wish to gain?
  • a less temporary "one off" circuit? Have a look at the last section in https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2020/07/22/prototyping-circuits-easy-cheap-fast-reliable-techniques/
  • making several identical circuits? If many, you have to use a decent PCB. If a few then it may be quicker to build several "one-off"s
  • knowing how to fabricate PCBs? Consider any homebrew etch resist (e.g. stick-on plastic, nail polish, pcb pen) and use ferric chloride to etch the pcb
  • knowing what's involved in designing a PCB? Choose a schematic/layout CAD application, learn how to use it, send gerbers off to DirtyPCBs or similar. Takes time to learn and time to fabricate

Unless you are specifically wanting to learn how to design PCBs, I suspect "manhattan" techniques might suit you.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 03:44:23 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 11:56:57 am »
Ok, will definitely post results soon. Thank you very much for your feedback and help. Much appreciated.

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 11:59:57 am »
Thank you very much. Will take your tips onboard!

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 12:35:15 pm »
Use KiCAD then JLCPCB and you will get what you want.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf