Author Topic: Looking for equipment to solve a problem  (Read 1258 times)

Offline jerystTopic starter

Looking for equipment to solve a problem
« on: April 26, 2017, 03:19:04 pm »
Hi. My name is Jerry, and I am new to the site.
I have a question about off-the-shelf thermal imaging hardware (camera, meter, etc)
in regards to a problem I am tasked with solving.  I have no training or experience in
thermal imaging and am looking at this as one of several potential means of devising a solution..

I am sorry that I can not give specifics, but I can
offer enough information to provide a proper scenario.

Let us imagine that something is buried underground,  and that above this object,
there is a one degree temperature difference from the ground not directly over the
object.

My question is this: Is there any currently availabe equipment that is sensitive enough to
detect the one degree difference, or has adjustable sensitivity that could be adjusted to
detect that small of a difference? The ideal situation, would be that the area above the object would
stand out from the surrounding area.

I have been trying to look at different equipment and have been unable to determine
which could be used. Perhaps, because of my lack of experience, I am just overlooking
a specification or rating that provides this information, so any insight would be greatly
appreciated.

Offline Jono427

• Contributor
Re: Looking for equipment to solve a problem
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 03:32:26 pm »
You might want to try looking in this section:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
Re: Looking for equipment to solve a problem
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 03:39:51 pm »
Commercially available imagers can easily discern temperature differences much less than 1 degree kelvin, and most can adjust this sensitivity.  There are other questions you will want to ask yourself.  How far away do you wish to make this observation.   Apparent delta T drops with distance (rate it drops depends heavily on atmospheric conditions).  The size of the region which has a contrasting temperature and the size of the region you are searching is also important.  In general you will want a sizable number of pixels to fit on the warm region, with is determined by the resolution of the camera (pixel size in milliradians, in turn determine by lens choice and other things).   

Lots of choices that depend on the details of your scenario.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf