Author Topic: New oscillioscope help question  (Read 863 times)

Offline jnkirk71Topic starter

New oscillioscope help question
« on: June 21, 2021, 04:22:38 am »
Hi I have an entry level Siglent scope I purchased a year ago and sparingly used.
I have had no problem using 2 probes on one breadboarded audio effect.
however whenever I try to compare with another audio effect with its own power supply, one of the probes signals remains visible and the other goes all fuzzy.
when I switch between each channel by turning the other one off , it becomes visable.
Am I missing something? do i need to do some setting to view an LFO on 2 separate devices?

embarrased!

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
Re: New oscillioscope help question
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 04:48:25 am »
What model scope do you have? 

I think you are looking for a function called "Alternate Trigger" and only a few older Siglent models have that.  Without it, unless the two signals have the exact same frequency or are an exact multiple, you can't lock in both signals at the same time.  One workaround is to the the "Single" function which will take exactly one snapshot of each signal so that it is clear.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline jnkirk71Topic starter

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 04:52:28 am »
Oh bugger!
It’s a siglent sds1202x-e

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 02:42:17 pm »
That model does not have an alternate trigger feature and cannot be used to view two unrelated or unsynchronized signal simultaneously and continuously.  Try the 'SINGLE' button.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 04:22:40 pm »
Ditto. Here's where you break out the old analog 100 dollar Tek 2213a.... No Honey it's not just a doorstop  :-DD
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline krzysssztof

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 06:57:25 pm »
You may also try capturing one channel, saving reference plot in the memory (it is supported by your scope, "REF" function).
Later on you only need to capture 2nd signal and display the previous plot on the same screen.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf