Author Topic: Soldering Station for <200€ (EU)  (Read 29308 times)

Offline JackP

• Regular Contributor
Re: Soldering Station for <200€ (EU)
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2015, 04:56:54 pm »
I bet your point, you want to make one purchase and then not think about it again. There are two ways to build up a lab IMHO (for us on a budget anyway). First, buy great gear which will last you, SLOWLY, one at a time. Second, buy lesser quality stuff, so you have something when u need it, but run the risk of having to upgrade. I like the second way, as I love looking at gear that I could get! It will cost more in the long run, but I need a scope, DMM, soldering iron etc. NOW for projects.

Besides, the clone has lasted for 1 1/2 years, and it's still going strong. It works.

Offline ThomasDK

• Regular Contributor
  • B.Eng. EE
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2015, 07:24:32 pm »
this is in germany and looks legit (no idea of they are tho) http://www.ersa-shop.com/
That's where I bought mine :)

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2015, 07:33:49 pm »
If all you say ersa nano or any ersa or weller or hakko is piece of shit

wait what? Im sensing some language barrier here
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline LuckymatTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2015, 08:33:55 pm »
I bet your point, you want to make one purchase and then not think about it again. There are two ways to build up a lab IMHO (for us on a budget anyway). First, buy great gear which will last you, SLOWLY, one at a time. Second, buy lesser quality stuff, so you have something when u need it, but run the risk of having to upgrade. I like the second way, as I love looking at gear that I could get! It will cost more in the long run, but I need a scope, DMM, soldering iron etc. NOW for projects.

Besides, the clone has lasted for 1 1/2 years, and it's still going strong. It works.

you are right i want to buy once .... it saves Money (depends how you look at it)

i don't want to die becouse i bought some garbage (like 5€ DMM that exploaded in my Hand while messuring 230v Mains (it was plugged correctly....anyways it's another Story..)

1.5years that is good score for Fake Station !

If all you say ersa nano or any ersa or weller or hakko is piece of shit

wait what? Im sensing some language barrier here

i mean that i will buy whatever you all offer if everybody says brand X is shit(or garbage...) i won't buy it
i don't have experience with soldering stations i don't know what is Good what is bad ....

i'll try to use other words than Shit ....Google is my best friend ...

Should i get I-Con Nano other ersa or Hakko or wait and buy JBC ? if so which one?
sorry but i won't buy any Fake Station only Geniue One ...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 11:27:18 am by Luckymat »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2015, 12:56:58 am »
If all you say ersa nano or any ersa or weller or hakko is piece of shit and i should get 400€ JBC or...
These are quality brands. Do keep in mind however, that there are different models at different price points. So you don't want to compare an entry level station, such as the Hakko FX-888D or Ersa I-Con Pico to anything from JBC, or the top end from Hakko, Weller, Ersa, or Pace.

There's also the unfortunate issue with pricing in Europe. Still, you don't need to spend 400EUR to get quality. But it will take ~ 200EUR.

whatever else i will try to get that money JBC or ERSA or HAKKO ?
Do note that Hakko isn't widely available in Europe, so they tend to be overpriced. If you are interested in a Hakko, I'd recommend going to Batterfly (their FX-888D page <98EUR; they also offer it in silver>). If you want a better performing station, take a look at the FX-950 (not as many features as the 951), FX-951 or FX-100 (same as Metcal or Thermaltronics regarding the heating technology, but it's also JBC level pricing).

Do note the performance of the Ersa I-Con Nano will be noticeably better than the FX-888D, but it's also ~2x the cost.  Performance wise, the Ersa I-Con Nano is more appropriately compared to the FX-950 or FX-951 (FX-95x use cartridge tips <tip + heating element + temp sensor combined>). Cost & features are more appropriately compared to the FX-951 due to the digital interface & setback features (what it's capable of doing when it's placed in the stand).

The Weller WS81 would be comparable to the FX-950 (both use a knob to set temp), while the Weller WD1002T (includes the WDH10T stand, which has a switch in it that connects to the base unit) would be comparable to the FX-951.

Now since you're in the market for an oscilloscope as well, you should be aware that Batterfly has a Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope + Hakko FX-888D bundle for 399EUR (scope + soldering station for the cost of a JBC or Hakko FX-100).  :-+ Excellent deal, and well suited for a hobbyist or student on a budget, but doesn't want to end up with garbage.  ;)

A number of members in Europe have purchased from this seller with positive results, and they're the cheapest source for both Hakko and Rigol in Europe I'm aware of.  :)

If you've the funds available, or will in a reasonable amount of time, you should seriously consider this ^ bundle offer IMHO.

Offline LuckymatTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2015, 11:43:12 am »
If all you say ersa nano or any ersa or weller or hakko is piece of shit and i should get 400€ JBC or...
These are quality brands. Do keep in mind however, that there are different models at different price points. So you don't want to compare an entry level station, such as the Hakko FX-888D or Ersa I-Con Pico to anything from JBC, or the top end from Hakko, Weller, Ersa, or Pace.

There's also the unfortunate issue with pricing in Europe. Still, you don't need to spend 400EUR to get quality. But it will take ~ 200EUR.

whatever else i will try to get that money JBC or ERSA or HAKKO ?
Do note that Hakko isn't widely available in Europe, so they tend to be overpriced. If you are interested in a Hakko, I'd recommend going to Batterfly (their FX-888D page <98EUR; they also offer it in silver>). If you want a better performing station, take a look at the FX-950 (not as many features as the 951), FX-951 or FX-100 (same as Metcal or Thermaltronics regarding the heating technology, but it's also JBC level pricing).

Do note the performance of the Ersa I-Con Nano will be noticeably better than the FX-888D, but it's also ~2x the cost.  Performance wise, the Ersa I-Con Nano is more appropriately compared to the FX-950 or FX-951 (FX-95x use cartridge tips <tip + heating element + temp sensor combined>). Cost & features are more appropriately compared to the FX-951 due to the digital interface & setback features (what it's capable of doing when it's placed in the stand).

The Weller WS81 would be comparable to the FX-950 (both use a knob to set temp), while the Weller WD1002T (includes the WDH10T stand, which has a switch in it that connects to the base unit) would be comparable to the FX-951.

Now since you're in the market for an oscilloscope as well, you should be aware that Batterfly has a Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope + Hakko FX-888D bundle for 399EUR (scope + soldering station for the cost of a JBC or Hakko FX-100).  :-+ Excellent deal, and well suited for a hobbyist or student on a budget, but doesn't want to end up with garbage.  ;)

A number of members in Europe have purchased from this seller with positive results, and they're the cheapest source for both Hakko and Rigol in Europe I'm aware of.  :)

If you've the funds available, or will in a reasonable amount of time, you should seriously consider this ^ bundle offer IMHO.

thx thx thx!
you'r blown me
that not a bad idea at all!

will it be shipped from EU so i don't have to pay that stupid cosumers Price?
is that hakko fx888D good enough for smd and so on? i don't care about heating time but i care about Quality and will it last?
Dave showed original. fx888 and it lasted him

is this scope Software upgradable? I mean how much does upgrades cost? 24M memory and 100Mhz?

4 chnnels are awesome!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 01:58:12 pm by Luckymat »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2015, 01:55:10 pm »
will it be shipped from EU so i don't have to pay that stupid cosumers Price?
If you're asking about Customs Duties (import fees in addition to VAT), NO, they don't exist between EU countries. So since Italy and Germany are both member nations, you won't be billed such fees.  :-+

is that hakko fx888D good enough for smd and so on? i don't care about heating time but i care about Quality and will it last?
With the right tip, it will do SMD or thru-hole.

Just keep in mind, it's not the most powerful station. So you may find instances where it's just not enough, such as 4+ layer boards (i.e. power & ground planes drawing off too much heat). They all run into this at some point, but the FX-888D will see it faster than the Ersa Nano for example.

is this scope Software upgradable?
Yes, the firmware can be upgraded. It can also be connected to a computer (USB or LAN) and data imported into software, and commands sent to the scope.

It can also be hacked to permanently enable all of it's installed options (100MHz, 24M memory, decode options, ...), making it the best deal for a hobbyist oscilloscope right now.  ;)

Offline matts-uk

• Contributor
  • select * from user where clue = null
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2015, 04:18:11 pm »
I used to work in PCB assembly, back in the early 1990s.   I have an ESA certificate in a draw somewhere, which qualified me to repair space rockets :)   

I have an FX888D.  The pre-sets were a pain to set up but otherwise, after a year, I am happy with it's performance as a solid, no frills, production quality iron.  Certainly nicer than the Weller PU3Ds with bit set temperature control, we were invariably provided with on the production benches and expected to do everything with - Woe betide the wireman trying to blame their iron ;)

The Hakko is fine for the day to day work; through hole, cable making, even SMD using the standard bit with some care and attention.  For anything  hefty, I use a cheap butane gas iron.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2015, 06:08:54 pm »
my 2 cents...

for hobby use i would strongly recommend solomon SL-20 or SL-30 . it's produced in taiwan and probably marketed under different brands as well.

i personaly use the solomon SL-20, it's in the sub 100 Eur range (70-90Eur depends on seller) and it's a well built unit with good thermal mass and regulationl.
and if i'm not mistaken.... i seen a SL-30 on SeanB's bench in the bench/lab thread ;)

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2015, 06:28:34 pm »
my 2 cents...

for hobby use i would strongly recommend solomon SL-20 or SL-30 . it's produced in taiwan and probably marketed under different brands as well.

i personaly use the solomon SL-20, it's in the sub 100 Eur range (70-90Eur depends on seller) and it's a well built unit with good thermal mass and regulationl.
and if i'm not mistaken.... i seen a SL-30 on SeanB's bench in the bench/lab thread ;)
Is this a joke? But seriously, for the price they really suck.

Offline lastwarrior

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2015, 06:32:11 pm »
Take a look to Lukey 852D+ , it's a smd rework station , i'm using it for almost 1 year... nice station 100$ < x < 130$ range

Offline kxenos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2015, 07:06:05 pm »
I would suggest this
http://www.weidinger.eu/shop/loettechnik/jbc/jbc_loet-_und_entloetgeraete/jbc_compact_line/wl26830
I have one at work. We use it for 6 - 10 hrs per day for the last 8 years. We still have the original 1.2mm chisel tip.  :-+

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2015, 07:57:07 pm »
my 2 cents...

mine looks like and works like a new one after more than a year of intensive usage - i can just recommend it for hobby use - i'm happy with my SL-20.
what's your suggestion in that price range ? i would like to definitely try that one if the SL-20 sucks comparted to it ;)

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2015, 08:09:56 pm »
mine looks like and works like a new one after more than a year of intensive usage - i can just recommend it for hobby use - i'm happy with my SL-20.
what's your suggestion in that price range ? i would like to definitely try that one if the SL-20 sucks comparted to it ;)
For a bit higher price something like genuine hakko 888D (more for US) or I-CON pico . There are some other choices too. Or some hakko clone for cheaper. Solomon is just too expensive for what it offers.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2015, 08:11:07 pm »
Take a look to Lukey 852D+ , it's a smd rework station , i'm using it for almost 1 year... nice station 100$ < x < 130$ range

lol no, this is ghetto tool for ulititarian russians, no comparison.

my 2 cents...

nah, Solomons are solid stations. I would easily compare them to older wellers. It will last you 20 years. Trouble is they ARE 20 year old designs (like wellers wes51). There is one opamp, one transistor, one voltage regulator, maybe two capacitors and couple of resistors inside, all connected to old school ceramic heater. Why pay $100 for 20 year old design?

I would suggest this
http://www.weidinger.eu/shop/loettechnik/jbc/jbc_loet-_und_entloetgeraete/jbc_compact_line/wl26830
I have one at work. We use it for 6 - 10 hrs per day for the last 8 years. We still have the original 1.2mm chisel tip.  :-+

nice, C245 cartridges are 140W = very low resistance = you get 0 to 350 in couple of seconds even in 70W station. T245-FA Handpiece is pretty slick too. not to mention you get two tips with it, tips and handle alone are almost 200 euro, good deal even with basic analog station.
Damn it, now I want one :/

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2015, 08:52:05 pm »
For a bit higher price something like genuine hakko 888D (more for US) or I-CON pico . There are some other choices too. Or some hakko clone for cheaper. Solomon is just too expensive for what it offers.

the question was in the SAME price range ;) and actually the Hakko 888 doesn't look any robust from the pictures ( i mean mechanically robust ) - and it's 2 part device. having 2 separate footprints on a desk/bench might be a disadvantage - especially on smaller benches. i think the "glory" of hakko 888 more-or-less exists thanks to Dave & this very forum ;)  i'm not saying anything bad about hakko - it might be even the best iron out there (never tried it), i'm just saying it's overly "glorified" here :D 

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2015, 09:16:53 pm »
the question was in the SAME price range ;)
That particular price is not here, not there. Though you can find something decent hakko style at that price. The issue is that solomon is too expensive for what it offers and you can buy alternative significantly cheaper.
and actually the Hakko 888 doesn't look any robust from the pictures ( i mean mechanically robust ) - and it's 2 part device. having 2 separate footprints on a desk/bench might be a disadvantage
Hakko is robust and separate stand is a huge advantage. You place the stand where you need it. I cannot imagine placing the whole bulky soldering station 10 cm away from the PCB I solder. And reaching soldering iron somewhere away when you need it, just sucks.
i think the "glory" of hakko 888 more-or-less exists thanks to Dave & this very forum ;)  i'm not saying anything bad about hakko - it might be even the best iron out there (never tried it), i'm just saying it's overly "glorified" here :D
Maybe particularly on this forum but overall not at all. There just aren't anything of the same quality/performance in that price range.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2015, 10:00:58 pm »
i think the "glory" of hakko 888 more-or-less exists thanks to Dave & this very forum ;)  i'm not saying anything bad about hakko - it might be even the best iron out there (never tried it), i'm just saying it's overly "glorified" here :D
Maybe particularly on this forum but overall not at all. There just aren't anything of the same quality/performance in that price range.

at $100 in US?  maybe (would still argue, Xytronic has better ones at this price range), at >$200 from reputable European distributor (if there are any at all, so you risk getting chinese clone) fat no, that JBC linked few posts ago kills it in every way possible.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2015, 10:23:03 pm »

at $100 in US?  maybe (would still argue, Xytronic has better ones at this price range), at >$200 from reputable European distributor (if there are any at all, so you risk getting chinese clone) fat no, that JBC linked few posts ago kills it in every way possible.
Therefore I wrote in the previous post:
You can get it from the battrefly for about 98EUR + VAT except shipping (signigicantly differs depending on country): http://www.batterfly.com/shop/hakko-fx-888d-silver
Xytronic seem to be comparably inferior clones at the similar price - significant gap between the heater and tip. Although much better build quality than most of the clones.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2015, 10:42:27 pm »
Xytronic seem to be comparably inferior clones at the similar price - significant gap between the heater and tip. Although much better build quality than most of the clones.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2015, 10:51:50 pm »

You forgot to say that this tip is for higher end Xytronic soldering stations which do cost more than Hakko 888D

Online wraper

• Supporter

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2015, 01:01:44 am »
and it's 2 part device. having 2 separate footprints on a desk/bench might be a disadvantage
Seriously? It allows more flexibility in placement. You can put the power/control unit out of the way, and move the iron's stand closer to the work.

It's the lowest cost entry level station from a tier 1 soldering station manufacturer. That on it's own may not mean anything to you, as you've admittedly never tried one. Do so, and you'll see why.

It simply comes down to a station that does the basics well (tips actually fit the heater, and the electronics regulate the heat), as well as minds the little things, such as using silicone insulated wire to connect the iron to the control unit. Seems minor on the surface, but it has a noticeable effect on usability. My one complaint with it would be the user interface  being shifted from a simple knob to a digital interface given it's BOM cost allowance (thanks marketing dept.  ::)) .

You're typical Chinese brand station doesn't approach this level of quality for the money. And the exceptions to this are very close cost wise, if not greater. Quality isn't cheap after all...

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2015, 02:23:44 am »
I would love to know where I could buy a Hakko FX-888 in the USA, in the SILVER color.   I would buy a Hakko but I just don't like the blue/yellow fisher price color scheme.   The batterfly.com site someone mentioned earlier is the first place I've actually seen one for sale and I'm not sure about ordering from a site whose default language isn't even English.   :)

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 03:12:48 am by Rasz »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf