Author Topic: YiHUA 853D vs. Hakko 888D  (Read 7455 times)

Offline meastmanTopic starter

YiHUA 853D vs. Hakko 888D
« on: June 10, 2015, 05:37:48 pm »
Hello.  I'm a newbie that is just getting into electronics and looking for some advice on what soldering station to purchase.  Since this is my first post, here's a bit about my background.  By newbie, I mean that I understand ohm's law, can solder and have just started going through a DC electronics course that I found online.  I used to work for a company called HeathKit Electronics about 40 years ago.  HeathKit was a company that sold electronic kits like ham radios, test gear, stereos and computers.  I built quite a few of their kits, both for myself and many display models, but never really studied electronics.  Since then, I've worked in the computer industry (mostly software and management).  Back to the present, I'm looking to build up a small and affordable lab.  Initially, I will be focusing on experiments in line with my studies and attempting a few repairs.  My main interest is in audio gear (e.g., crossovers, amps, preamps, maybe even some tube stuff, etc.), but at some point I will want to try some microcrontroller stuff like the Uno. 

On to the question.  I need a new soldering station.  My current one is a thermostatically controller Weller, but you can't adjust the temp.  I've been looking at the YiHUA 853D and Hakko 888D.  I like the fact that the YiHUA includes a power supply and hot air gun since I don't have anything yet.  But, I am concerned about it's quality and safety.  Would the YiHUA be good enough to start with, or would I be better off starting with the Hakko?  Or for that matter, would the Weller be ok to use for a while?

A second question.  What gear does everyone recommend I start with?  So far, I only have an old Heathkit DMM.  I also have a scope coming this week (Tektronix 2445A) that I bought off eBay.

Thanks in advance for any assistance or opinions you might share,
Mark

Offline Kibi

• Supporter
Re: YiHUA 853D vs. Hakko 888D
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 05:50:34 pm »
I'd say stick with the Weller and only upgrade if you find the need to adjust the temperature. I'm guessing the Weller is one of those old "clicker" irons with the base station. Those are really good, we still have some on the benches at work, perfectly fine for general work. If you do indeed have the iron that I'm talking about, then the temperature is actually defined by the tip. So, there are hot tips and cooler tips as a way of selecting different temperatures.
My soldering irons are adjustable, but I very rarely adjust the temperature, so I can't see why your Weller would need to be replaced if it still works.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 08:21:02 pm »
i would suggest a 2nd DMM.  I would also suggest a dual output bench power supply.  For audio work, you will probably want a decent signal generator.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline kolonelkadat

• Regular Contributor
  • Obviously, windows are central to Windows.
    • Force Project X
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 08:36:49 pm »
I would get the hakko. hot air isnt really something you will find yourself needing all too often, so the air attachment is going to spend most of its time wasting bench space, getting in the way, and being a nuisance. If you feel like you really need hot air, then buy a seperate unit that you can use when you need it and put in a drawer when you dont.

A second question.  What gear does everyone recommend I start with?  So far, I only have an old Heathkit DMM.  I also have a scope coming this week (Tektronix 2445A) that I bought off eBay.

You need at least one variable power supply, but more is almost always better. Expect to need more power than you think. My first supply offered 0-20v @2 amps. I thought it would be enough because ive never needed more than 500mA. The first day it arrived, I needed 20v at 5 amps.  |O

You need at least 2 good multimeters. There will be times when you want to measure both current and power. If I had the money, I would have 3 or 4 good hand held meters and 2 really nice benchtop meters.

A good function generator can also be super duper handy.

Once you start getting into micro controllers, you cant go wrong with one of those $10 logic analyzers from ebay.

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 10:11:25 pm »
you cant go wrong with one of those $10 logic analyzers from ebay.

Can you link me to one you mean.

Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline kolonelkadat

• Regular Contributor
  • Obviously, windows are central to Windows.
    • Force Project X
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 11:14:51 pm »
you cant go wrong with one of those $10 logic analyzers from ebay.

Can you link me to one you mean.

just search for "logic analyzer 24mhz 8ch" without the quotes. ive seen them as low as $4 shipped. They work with the saelae software which is quite nice.

Offline meastmanTopic starter

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 11:17:55 pm »
Thanks for all the great advice.  FWI - my Weller is the WTCPN and it looks like I can still get tips for it.  I think I'll go that route and add the Hakko a little later.  Sounds like I better start shopping for a dual power supply and second DMM.  Does anyone know of a good power supply that is available as a kit?  At least with a kit I might learn something.

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 11:24:37 pm »
just search for "logic analyzer 24mhz 8ch" without the quotes. ive seen them as low as $4 shipped. They work with the saelae software which is quite nice.

I have one on my watch list, so thanks for the confirmation, i wasn't sure whether you meant that or the plain board as in the EZ-USB

Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 02:16:19 am »
Thanks for all the great advice.  FWI - my Weller is the WTCPN and it looks like I can still get tips for it.  I think I'll go that route and add the Hakko a little later.  Sounds like I better start shopping for a dual power supply and second DMM.  Does anyone know of a good power supply that is available as a kit?  At least with a kit I might learn something.

How good it is is debatable, but Elenco makes a kit: http://www.elenco.com/product/productdetails/power_supply=ODU=/same_as_xp720_in_kit_form=NTc4

Search for ELenco XP720K mods.  I did a lot of them, upgraded the caps, added bleeder resistors, over and reverse voltage protection diodes and 10 turn pots.  Problem is that you can hit $100 USD with the add ons and the cost of the kit.  It was fun building and modding it, though.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf