Poll

What contributor video frequency would you like to see when I'm away?

A video every day
49 (40.5%)
Every two days
20 (16.5%)
Every three days
27 (22.3%)
Only a couple in total
16 (13.2%)
I don't want any contributed video, I don't like the idea.
9 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 117

Author Topic: ANNOUNCEMENT: Guest Videos Request  (Read 25463 times)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Guest Videos Request
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2017, 10:36:40 pm »
That is certainly possible - but it won't produce the same result.  By having your content actually appear on Dave's channel, you will get interest and views - and street cred - that will exceed simple link sharing.
I think he's asking how he can post a link in this thread, instead of an embedded video. It appears the forum insists on making it an embedded video, even if you add hyperlink tags.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 12:10:47 am by Mr. Scram »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2017, 10:39:36 pm »
Oh.  Right.   :-[

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2017, 12:01:44 am »
Wishing I was not so busy - the ideal video from me would be electronics assembly from prototype to pick and place.

My current project is just about to go into assembly madness and I recall the pain and suffering learning how to do it. There are plenty of how to solder videos - but not many that cover assembly from 1 part to 100 parts and beyond. Organization, tools, bodges, documentation, BOM development, sourcing parts, setting up P&P, programming P&P, and trying to avoid thoughts of jumping off a tall bridge in the middle of it all.

Doubt I could pull it off soon enough.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2017, 12:07:46 am »
I think we can understand you are not exactly time rich for extra-curricular efforts ... as much as we would love to see it.

.... and I hope if you do jump off a tall bridge - it's only because you are doing some impact testing for a new product design.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 12:09:41 am by Brumby »

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2017, 12:39:46 am »
Wishing I was not so busy -

Did you do an unboxing and use of the scope you won?  Seems that would be good.  If so mention how the other winner got one by buying likes and what Keysight did afterwards (I assume they closed that loophole).  A history of that contest might be interesting, it was when it was happening.  I learned that people can buy likes.  I think this would make the cut.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2017, 12:57:25 am »
Wishing I was not so busy -

Did you do an unboxing and use of the scope you won?  Seems that would be good.  If so mention how the other winner got one by buying likes and what Keysight did afterwards (I assume they closed that loophole).  A history of that contest might be interesting, it was when it was happening.  I learned that people can buy likes.  I think this would make the cut.

I made a video, but it was before the Factory400 channel was established. What a roller coaster that was - the scope win has indeed been a career-changing event. As I write this, I am placing a giant Digikey order for a bunch of fancy high-speed parts. I would not have access to this work without a scope to test it.

https://youtu.be/_GIldByHYPk

The following users thanked this post: ez24

Offline xnotx

• Contributor
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2017, 01:01:43 am »
I dunno, but I sure am waiting in anticipation for the massive mailbag episode  :-DD

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2017, 01:13:02 am »
Here I'm thinking 300 MHz is pretty sweet. 6 GHz. Jeez!

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2017, 02:16:42 am »
Dave loves cats! :-DD While most thought we could never make video good enough to win it, this guy used all his video talents to nab it..

The following users thanked this post: rx8pilot, ez24

Offline witnessmenow

• Contributor
  • Making Youtube Videos on ESP8266
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2017, 01:23:56 pm »
This is an insanely good opportunity for people who are making YouTube videos and hope it does well for everyone involved!

I'm really hoping to submit a video for this, just hard to get the time to do it with Christmas coming up, I'll do my best though!

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2017, 07:21:14 pm »
It's been an interesting week, Dave sneezes he's going away for a bit and all the content producers come out of the woodwork (no one gives a fudge when I sneeze..). EZ24's had more channel submits now, than maybe several months.. Anyway, his dedication counts in my books.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, ez24

Offline Adamus

« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2017, 06:39:54 am »
I would very much like to be surprised by someone making great electronics videos that I'm not already subscribed to.
Never underestimate the power of YouTube SSSHHH HOHHHHHH... :)

YouTube has billions of videos, but people usually never click "next page" on search results.
I remember seeing a great and rare video using anonymous view. Tiny amateur channel. After a month I wanted to watch this video again, but I just couldn't find it. I have been typing common words which (AFAIR) were in title, but got too many videos as result. I found a model name of shown HW (Google Images is helpful) and tried searching using that model name, but got 5 completely different videos. SO, it is very easy to miss a cool video even if you have watched it previously. Especially when one uses different computer or view.

I only hope people will not try doing a mess nor pranks there. It is more than enough of such garbage videos already.

Offline madsbarnkob

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2017, 03:39:17 pm »
Is the email "eevblog+guest@gmail.com" or is there some spam protective part I need to remove?

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2017, 08:48:30 pm »
Is the email "eevblog+guest@gmail.com" or is there some spam protective part I need to remove?
AFAIK, the "+" character is not allowed in an email address, so use the "." period instead.
It's likely better to just make the subject line as "Guest Videos Request" too...

Offline Andrew McNamara

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2017, 11:17:21 pm »
AFAIK, the "+" character is not allowed in an email address, so use the "." period instead.
It's likely better to just make the subject line as "Guest Videos Request" too...

Sorry, but that is quite wrong. The local part (left hand side of the @) can contain upper and lower case a to z, digits, and the special characters .!#$%&'*+-/=?^_`{|}~

In this case, + is being used as a delimiter - essentially addressing a sub-mailbox off the eevblog mailbox. This delimiter functionality is typically configurable in the site's mail transport agent configuration - "+" is the most common choice, but unless Dave is running his own e-mail server, he will have no control over this anyway.

The following users thanked this post: vk3yedotcom, Cliff Matthews, madsbarnkob

Offline madsbarnkob

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2017, 06:57:34 am »
I was not aware of this feature in email servers in general or that it was possible to use with gmail.

https://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/11867/how-do-i-add-automatically-labels-to-the-incoming-emails-in-my-gmail-account/11872#11872

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2017, 12:42:59 am »
I made a video for this, it is set private on my channel and I mailed the link but if I use the chair by mail button I get an unknown mailadres message. 
Fred
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline pknoe3lh

• Regular Contributor
  • Trust me I'm an engineer
    • My Homepage
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2018, 08:04:54 pm »
I think I did not made it ....

My video got only watched for 19 Seconds  |O |O |O |O |O

No answer form Dave ...
My wife is angry ... I spend a big part of our Holidays on it   :scared:

At least Dave could have send a tanks for submitting and a sorry that there are to much entries ....

I know he don't want to make collaborations but to write a quick answer would not be too much I guess ....  :palm:

So anyway here is my entry: (I already removed the mention that is was a guest video ...)

https://youtu.be/_I_6Dyl52qA

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2018, 09:11:33 pm »
I like the first one

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, rt, Cliff Matthews

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2018, 09:27:07 pm »

No answer form Dave ...

At least Dave could have send a tanks for submitting and a sorry that there are to much entries ....

I know he don't want to make collaborations but to write a quick answer would not be too much I guess ....  :palm:

So anyway here is my entry: (I already removed the mention that is was a guest video ...)

Didn't you learn from the previous video? You responded very similarly to not being picked there too. You know that spending a lot of time guarantees nothing.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/contests/giveaway-rohde-schwarz-rtb2004-oscilloscope-discussion/msg1275280/#msg1275280

Offline pknoe3lh

• Regular Contributor
  • Trust me I'm an engineer
    • My Homepage
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2018, 07:12:44 am »

No answer form Dave ...

Didn't you learn from the previous video? You responded very similarly to not being picked there too. You know that spending a lot of time guarantees nothing.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/contests/giveaway-rohde-schwarz-rtb2004-oscilloscope-discussion/msg1275280/#msg1275280

In the competition i was just complaining that Dave was going against his own rules! He told many times that he will just consider the video it self (I ask my self also)
An then in the decision video he told it was not the best video but his .....

Now I'm also not complaining that i was not taken ... just would appreciate a little bit more communication!
And I'm angry that 19 Seconds is enough to be judged  :palm:   

Sure I could just keep my anger to myself! But I think a lot of people will feel similar! So there can be a lesson learned  :)

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2018, 12:26:22 am »
To be fair, watching your video, 19 seconds is enough to tell what the video is going to be about.
It's likely that Dave wasn't interested in the type of video that you made. Thats just something you'll have to deal with.

The following users thanked this post: Yansi

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2018, 12:48:26 am »
Now I'm also not complaining that i was not taken ... just would appreciate a little bit more communication!

Sure I could just keep my anger to myself! But I think a lot of people will feel similar! So there can be a lesson learned  :)

I'm not being critical of your project - but I watched the video for a bit longer than 19 seconds.  By the time I got to 3 minutes (when I stopped), I knew enough to make this comment:

During the first 3 minutes you make repeated references to safety, separation and other risks in working on such a hack.  All these are valid concerns and including them in your presentation is essential - so you have been diligent in that respect.

However, all those concerns would be the first to come to mind to anyone who has half an idea of what is involved - and such safety issues could well be enough for Dave to not want to endorse it.  I know I would prefer to look for other material if I was in Dave's shoes.

Would you have felt better if the video had been viewed for 3 minutes?  I can tell you now - that there was nothing in that 3 minutes that Dave could not have guessed from the first 19 seconds (if that was, indeed, all he looked at).

As for Dave not communicating with you, I can understand you being a bit sensitive about that - but there are times when you have to put on you "big boy pants" and deal with it.  With his channel, this forum and other interests, I would expect Dave could spend a lifetime just responding to every communication - so I'd give him some leeway on that.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2018, 12:54:27 am »

Welcome to the real world where complaining does not help your case.

A: This whole thing is based on generosity from Dave.
B: It is purely subjective
C: No one owes you anything regardless of how much effort you put in.
D: Use that energy to put up some content that captures an audience
E: If you want a channel - it requires constantly doing what you did. Over and over. Only each video is better than the last.

It is far harder than it looks right? Move on. Learn something. Do better tomorrow.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2018, 01:06:14 am »
To be fair, watching your video, 19 seconds is enough to tell what the video is going to be about.
It's likely that Dave wasn't interested in the type of video that you made.

There's that, too.

Thats just something you'll have to deal with.
Snap.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf