Author Topic: EEVblog #1083 - Pocket Mutimeter Shootout  (Read 21746 times)

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
Re: EEVblog #1083 - Pocket Mutimeter Shootout
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2018, 08:53:53 pm »
Does anyone know where I could buy a set of the small test probes that come with these pocket meters? 

I've had a Metex P10 for years and it's not a bad little meter (built in 1.5v battery tester!) but inevitably one of the wires broke at the top of one of the probes where it gets bent the most.  I've bodged a repair by cutting back the plastic and soldering the break and protecting it with some heatshrink, but I'd rather replace the probes/leads if I can.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2018, 09:23:03 pm »
Does anyone know where I could buy a set of the small test probes that come with these pocket meters? 

Attached to one of the meters...?

If you want to repair a favorite meter then a lot of the meters in this thread cost about $10. Snip the leads off one!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 05:33:20 am by Fungus »

Offline MacMeter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2018, 09:40:06 pm »

I've had a Metex P10 for years and it's not a bad little meter (built in 1.5v battery tester!) but inevitably one of the wires broke at the top of one of the probes where it gets bent the most.  I've bodged a repair by cutting back the plastic and soldering the break and protecting it with some heatshrink, but I'd rather replace the probes/leads if I can.

You could try Frankys thread on this site here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/franky_s-sales-thread/

Or his online store here:
https://www.ebay.com/str/99centhobbies

If you find small enough ones for your pocket meter, just cut the ends off.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2018, 10:27:13 am »
Attached to one of the meters...?

If you want to repair a favorite meter then a lot of the meters in this thread cost about $10. Snip the leads off one!

A $10 meter for $1 test leads to fix a meter that's probably worth rather less than $10 doesn't add up for me.  I like the meter, but I'm not that sentimental about it! 

Edit:  Having said that it seems you can pick up a pocket meter for under $5 shipped from China which is ridiculous, but a possible solution so thanks!

You could try Frankys thread on this site here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/franky_s-sales-thread/

Or his online store here:
https://www.ebay.com/str/99centhobbies

If you find small enough ones for your pocket meter, just cut the ends off.

Thanks I'll take a look, though I spent a good 20 minutes on eBay to no avail.  I suppose most people would just bin the whole thing and buy a new one.  If it comes it I'll wire in a full sized pair of probes, I just won't be able to store them in the holder.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 10:38:56 am by mikerj »

Offline malagas_on_fire

• Frequent Contributor
  • Kernel Panic
    • Malagas Lair
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2018, 11:13:04 am »
I've received  one of these meters as a gift, it was the uni-t 120C in chrismas.

The 10nF residual capacitance is present, which not so good, but in terms off voltage reading, frequecy, even capacitors >= 100nF is quite in spec. Has nice digits and some diode protection, PTC, clamps and a polyfuse for current, which is usefull for low power apps ( microcontroller). I do like the plastic case, keeps from been poked by the leeds. I carry on my bag as an extra.

About the review, the Sanwa seems very nice and best value for the money, but has the rotary switch that pertrudes a bit towards the case and can be pressed if using in your trousers pocket.

PS.: The continuity for the uni-t 120C is bad :S
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 03:06:06 pm by malagas_on_fire »
If one can make knowledge flow than it will go from negative to positve , for real

Offline malagas_on_fire

• Frequent Contributor
  • Kernel Panic
    • Malagas Lair
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2018, 11:18:47 am »
I've received  one of these meters as a gift, it was the uni-t 120C in chrismas.

The 10nF residual capacitance is present, which not so good, but in terms off voltage reading, frequecy, even capacitors >= 100nF is quite in spec. Has nice digits and some diode protection, PTC, clamps and a polyfuse for current, which is usefull for low power apps ( microcontroller). I do like the plastic case, keeps from been poked by the leeds. I carry on my bag as an extra.

About the review, the Sanwa seems very nice and best value for the money, but has the rotary switch that pertrudes a bit towards the case and can be pressed if using in your trousers pocket.

Here are some photos of first power on and inside, for checking battery, signs of corrosion, etc.
If one can make knowledge flow than it will go from negative to positve , for real

Offline osteichthyes

• Contributor
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2018, 08:14:29 am »
14 pocket multimeters from $8 to $65 are torn down and compared for feature set and build quality.
Ranging in price from $8 to $65, which one is the best in each price category?
Timestamps:
6:07 XB866 Wun Hung Lo
9:42 ANENG AN8203
15:47 $10 Shootout Summary
16:14 Uni-T UT10A
19:12 Uni-T UT120B/120C
22:41 UNI-T Shootout Summary
23:05 Jaycar QM1544
26:42 $20 Shootout Summary
27:06 Sanwa PM3
31:06 Brymen BM22 / Amprobe PM51
37:31 Kyoritsu KEW1018
42:01 Hioki 3244-50 CARD Tester
45:47 Amprobe DM78C
50:25 DER EE DE-19S
56:27 SANWA PM300
1:02:36 Conclusion

Use coupon code "pocket" for a big discount on the PM300:
https://www.eevblog.com/product/pm300/

Part 2:

The code seems to not be working. Did I miss the sale?

Offline Technobabble_

• Regular Contributor
  • Novice. Self-Certified Fabricobbler
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2018, 02:47:35 pm »
Is Ebay the only place to purchase the Sanwa PM3 multimeter? I don't see any other US suppliers. If so, does anybody recommend a specific Ebay store/seller?

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2018, 04:03:55 pm »
Is Ebay the only place to purchase the Sanwa PM3 multimeter? I don't see any other US suppliers. If so, does anybody recommend a specific Ebay store/seller?

https://www.eevblog.com/product/pm300/

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2018, 05:10:14 pm »
Amazon US: https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Meter-Digital-Multimeter-multi-function/dp/B01D40L6AU
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: Technobabble_

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf