Author Topic: EEVblog #1125 - Amazing $500 Soldering/Inspection Microscope!  (Read 71202 times)

Offline wile1411

Re: EEVblog #1125 - Amazing $500 Soldering/Inspection Microscope!
« Reply #125 on: December 05, 2018, 11:28:33 am »
any luck in the pics?  ;)

Offline Rachie5272

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #126 on: December 06, 2018, 02:56:41 am »
Yep, sorry, I keep forgetting.  Here are the pictures of my setup.

The little monitor does not hold securely at all, and keeps falling over.  I'll have to make a better bracket at some point.

The working range on this microscope is amazing.  I had to flip a bracket around just to get more height.  I'll probably attach it to the shelf above.

Offline tchicago

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #127 on: December 07, 2018, 04:52:08 am »
Good news, everyone!

Just received this particular HDMI capture adapter from ali, and it happily recognizes the scope's HDMI output:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/USB3-0-1080P-60FPS-HDMI-Live-Streaming-Dongle-USB-3-0-Game-Video-Capture-Box-for/32822156604.html
It lists for $85 now, but was $65 on 11.11 when I bought it. There are lot of similarly looking ones on ali, so probably will be able to find a cheaper deal.

Proof is attached: my large screen 4K TV now shows both desktop stuff and the camera output at the same time. No need to switch HDMI inputs.

The following users thanked this post: wile1411

Offline wile1411

« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2018, 10:49:39 am »
Here are the pictures of my setup.

The little monitor does not hold securely at all, and keeps falling over.  I'll have to make a better bracket at some point.

Thanks for that - I didn't think to try the main bolt with the nut that was on the wall sticker mount. All good now - I'll work out how to get the monitor to stay where I want to. as you said, not exactly sturdy, but it will do for the moment.  :-+

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
  • Programmer, DB architect
« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2018, 11:50:07 am »
Great find

Offline hobbs1210

« Reply #130 on: December 08, 2018, 08:05:07 pm »

Offline orion242

• Supporter
« Reply #131 on: December 09, 2018, 09:46:52 pm »
Good news, everyone!

Just received this particular HDMI capture adapter from ali, and it happily recognizes the scope's HDMI output:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/USB3-0-1080P-60FPS-HDMI-Live-Streaming-Dongle-USB-3-0-Game-Video-Capture-Box-for/32822156604.html
It lists for $85 now, but was $65 on 11.11 when I bought it. There are lot of similarly looking ones on ali, so probably will be able to find a cheaper deal.

Proof is attached: my large screen 4K TV now shows both desktop stuff and the camera output at the same time. No need to switch HDMI inputs.

Good to know.  Does this work with OBS?

Got this today to try

https://www.amazon.com/Capture-Loop-out-Streaming-Recording-Devices/dp/B07C75Q4KR/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1544391872&sr=1-1&keywords=USB+3.0+HDMI+Video+Capture+Dongle+with+HDMI+Loop-out+%2CHD+HDMI+Game+Capture+Card%2CHDMI+Streaming+and+Recording+Devices+for+PS3+PS4+Xbox+Wii+u+Support+HDCP+1080P+Windows+7%2F8%2F10+Linux+Youtube+OBS+Twitch

Tested it with Ruko and the pass thru wouldn't work with 720p, but the passthur did work with the camera.  Under win10 it came in as a camera.  Couldn't get it to work with VLC or OBS, so its going back.  Have a Magewell USB Capture HDMI Plus coming now to try with it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 11:24:05 pm by orion242 »

Offline orion242

• Supporter
« Reply #132 on: December 12, 2018, 12:53:34 am »
Doh...   |O  I'm assuming the camera would have worked with the first capture device.  Someone seems to have had their W10 privacy settings set to disable camera access...which go figure is how these devices show up.

That issue aside, it works perfectly well with the Magewell USB Capture+.

Attached is the output from the Magewell capture utility that gives all the details of the HDMI stream.  Maybe that will be helpful to someone when trying to figure out what will be compatible with it.

Offline tchicago

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #133 on: December 14, 2018, 08:00:01 am »
Good news, everyone!

Good to know.  Does this work with OBS?

I tried the OBS, added this ezcap as a capture source and it was showing the live microscope feed in the OBS UI. I don't use OBS, so not sure what else should I try there.

My main reason of using the capture card is to have the screen showing both microscope live camera picture and the other stuff I'm working on, like datasheets, code and schematics - having it all on one large screen.

BTW, I cracked this Ezcap open, and here is what's inside - picture attached. Two either custom or relabeled chips, standard HDMI input and output chips. Two serial EEPROMs - one large and one small (config?). And four channels of DC-DC. There is nothing on the other side of the board.
There are two groups of unsoldered pin headers or test points - some of them might be UART in/out. I may later try to poke them with oscilloscope to find out if there is an UART TX, and if so will see what kind of output it dumps there...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 08:01:53 am by tchicago »

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #134 on: December 28, 2018, 03:28:18 am »
I got in the "bundle" and barlow lenses.   Seems to work well. (note that they pack some stuff in the monitor box... I first thought that they didn't ship the barlows)

Circles are a bit out of round on the 10" HDMI monitor.   I couldn't drive DVI displays with HDMI->DVI converters.

The 180X lens' largest field-of-view with the 0.35 barlow is around 2x1".   Stacking a 0.5 and 0.35 barlow gives a 2.5" wide FOV. 

Raising the camera up 2" from what the stand allows gives a 3" wide FOV.   I'd like to be able to get even wider.  I will probably try the 120mm lens and maybe stack a couple of 0.35 barlows...

Ideally, I'd like to be able to get a 6x4" FOV when needed.   That would probably require extending the stand  tube (it is internally threaded at the top with the same external thread as the base so one could probably screw two tubes together).  Does anybody know where to buy extra or longer stand tubes (without buying and scavenging a second stand)?

SMBAKER, are you going to publish the code for your nifty mouse emulator thingy?

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #135 on: December 29, 2018, 11:35:21 pm »
I measured the power required by the camera.  It starts at around 0.2A, but once it finished booting up the power increased to 0.7 to 0.8A.   The supplied wall wart outputs 5.3V.   I don't trust no-name wall warts so I am now using a genuine Apple 2.4A one.

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136 on: January 06, 2019, 04:26:57 am »
I don't have any spare monitors with HDMI inputs, so I tried using (4 different) HDMI->DVI converters with the camera... no joy.   This could be related to the issues Dave had with HDMI capture devices.

Does anybody know of a HDMI->DVI converter that works with the Eakins?   

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #137 on: January 06, 2019, 07:09:33 pm »
As an alternative, has anyone tried a microscope setup using a digital SLR with HDMI out?
e.g. Nikon D3400 (with 60fps HDMI) + C-mount adapter + lens
Costs look comparable on ebay, with the advantage that you also have a SLR.

Ahh, maybe you don't get auto focus when the SLR mirror is up for 'liveview video'.

I currently use a JVC camcorder which has an integrated 40x optical zoom, to which I have added a front lens to get a reasonable working distance (15-20cm). I use the HDMI output and get very low latency (not noticeable). There is no way of using a C-mount lens with it, optics is not removable (it's an entry-level camcorder, but picture quality is fine.) The max magnification factor I get with a 14" monitor is approx. 40x (eg. 0.5mm pin pitch is close to 20mm on screen.)

The autofocus works reasonably well even with the added lens (seems a bit slower though, and it occasionally gets confused - usually moving the part around in the field of view gets it to focus again). I can always set it to manual focus if it bothers me.

With a DSLR, you'd have to try. Don't know if it'd work as well as a camcorder. One thing to consider is the mounting of the DSLR itself - they are usually a bit heavy so you need a sturdy mount.
With my camcorder I currently use a Manfrotto articulated arm, and it's not ideal. It tends to shake a little when just tapping on the desk, hardly noticeable at low magnification but it's a bit annoying at the largest magnification.

I recently ordered a couple of C-mount lenses, one up to 10x for larger fov and the other to 720x and a set of barlow lenses. Also ordered a C-mount camera module with HDMI output (unfortunately not with the autofocus, but with a Panasonic 21MP sensor). I'll see what I get with that. One thing that would be nice would be a motorized stand of some sort.

Offline dougg3

« Reply #138 on: March 04, 2019, 01:31:04 am »
I'm kind of late to the party, but I bought one of these microscopes on AliExpress when I saw the EEVblog video. I've been using it for the past few months, and I'm very, very happy with it. I also got 0.35x and 0.5x Barlow lenses for it. I find myself using the 0.35x lens, and it works great. It gives me a good working distance of about 5 inches and it's not zoomed in too far (although I can zoom in further if I want). There is no discernible lag to the HDMI output. It has immensely improved my ability to do fine pitch soldering. I find myself using the "click to focus" feature, so that it isn't constantly refocusing when I'm soldering.

Minor complaints:
  • There is no lens cap for the Barlow lenses, but I'm sure I can find one somewhere.
  • Video recording to SD card works okay, but the raw .h264 video format is kind of goofy and there is a 2 GB file size limit because of FAT32
If you try to record past 2 GB, the file size just gets truncated with no warning or error given to you. So if you're recording a long video, you just have to stop and restart it occasionally. I find that the .h264 video plays kind of jerky in VLC, but if I convert it to .mp4 with ffmpeg first, it plays a lot better. I *think* it's recording at 30 fps, but I'm not 100% sure. The timestamps seemed to match up with 30 fps.

Here is the command I use to convert the .h264 videos to .mp4 for better compatibility (doesn't do any transcoding, which is great):

Code: [Select]
ffmpeg -vcodec h264 -framerate 30 -i 5-34-41.h264 -vcodec copy -acodec copy 5-34-41.mp4
Sample video I recorded (using record to SD feature) of drag soldering some TSOP chips with the 0.35x barlow lens attached:

https://youtu.be/5Jvc-VzCfpY

Offline taydin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #139 on: April 15, 2019, 12:03:13 pm »

All I soldered was a couple of 0.100" headers. There are two things that struck me: 1) lack of depth perception makes soldering a little more difficult

I tried it with my microscope, and I think the lack of depth perception makes soldering A LOT MORE difficult. I removed a 0402 SMD resistor from a board and tried to replace it with a piece of wire, and it was very hard for me to ensure that the piece of wire was touching both pads so that I can solder them. And then there was also the difficulty in judging how close my iron tip is to the wire. It was VERY HARD. I switched to my optical stereo microscope and it was so much easier and I finished the job in no time!

So I think for repair work, a stereoscopic microscope with depth perception is a MUST. Bur for inspection of a board, this microscope will be fine.

I think here is what the ideal setup would look like. Two of these microscopes side by side, and display glasses with a separate screen for each eye, and two HDMI inputs :D Problem is, I can't find any display glasses that have separate HDMI inputs for each screen. Sure, there are truck loads of VR glasses, but those are all single HDMI input, with some kind of 3D support, which is totally unrelated to what I want it to do. And searching for such glasses is very hard in google. Most matches are completely unrelated stuff like normal glasses, window glasses, other glasses. Or HDMI displays, monitors, other displays grrr.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 12:10:48 pm by taydin »
Real programmers use machine code!

My hobby projects http://mekatronik.org/forum

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline rthorntn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #140 on: May 08, 2019, 07:10:09 am »
Hi,

I just received this camera, very nice, I purchased it separately with the intention of using it with a 0.5x barlow in one of the eyepiece sockets of my Nikon SMZ660 (the scope has a 0.7x objective fitted).

It can focus fine and at minimum magnification I'm getting 15mm fov.

I want to use the camera for inspecting PCBs so I think the current setup is not going to work very well.

Quite a few people have said the "kit" lens and stand is not great, does anybody have any recommendations for a decent setup to make this standalone for inspection without breaking the bank?

Thanks.

Richard
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 07:15:41 am by rthorntn »

Offline ro0ter

• Contributor
« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2019, 11:53:18 am »
Whoa, this mic(roscope) is pretty expensive.. Dave, you`ve done great with the microscope review, I was simply searching on youtube for "usb microscope review" and was presented with your video as a suggestion... However, $500 breaks the bank for me... Any cheaper alternative? I had found some "electronic focus" microscope (which I guess is user-controlled focus) on AliExpress for around $84, yet if anyone could recommend something similar without the auto-focus feature (that one breaks the wallet), I would gladly appreciate the advice and consider the thing...

Here are the cameras I found:
1. 84-usd one, I suppose I also need a C-mount (whatever this mount is) lens assembly, although I see none at this seller.. was hoping to find something compatible on seller`s page, yet it should be C-mount.. what should be a magnification for regular circuitry?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Remote-Control-SONY-imx323-sensor-HD-1080P-HDMI-C-Mount-Digital-Video-industrial-microscope-camera-for/32978144150.html
2. some all-in-one camera, manual focus? doesn`t state anything.. $105 with 180x or 300x, $70 with 180x objective.. these numbers don`t tell me much, I am still watching videos to get some idea on this.. navigating forums etc..

So I`m fixing car keys and other stuff for now, as part of my hobby... Started fixing for my friends (I simply hate paying the stealership big bucks, didn`t want my friends to pay neither..), now I get about 1 key per week, sometimes less.. fixing is about $20~40 per key, parts included, so $500 for a microscope is out of discussion.. Currently I am doing this besides my full-time job (software engineer / industrial automation / c++) which is not a bad pay after all... yet, I don`t like taking from a jar and putting in an other one so every part with its funds.

I just purchased a seek thermal compact (this is not an advertising, don`t buy from them unless you have to (so actually I advise against this product), the negative temperature range simply sucks (-20 is displayed as -2 or even +1 celsius), they don`t offer any support, no reply in more than 2 months since asked...... there are 2 cameras like this - an older belonging to one of my colleagues and my camera which is a little different in design, purchased 1 year later) for fixing "battery-eating" remotes (can`t use the isopropyl technique since key will be killed, provided enough current; there is hardly a 5°C difference between smd parts when constantly eating 20mA for at least 10 seconds (a key usually consumes a short burst of ~7mA in peak for a transmission).. this thermal camera is a big-enough budget hole already, not yet covered :D...

I will also use the microscope for my hobby (which is obviously electronics and embedded, making things etc)...

So here come all the questions:
  • Any advice of a cheap, yet powerful (10+mp) microscope that someone uses and is happy with? Manual focus will do.. but I would like at least "electronic focus" (e.g. user-controlled electronic focus).. autofocus is a dream, don`t twist the knife...
  • What objective should I buy? I need to be able to inspect circuits (angled or not, maybe 5~10cm maximum FOV) and I need to see especially VIAs..
  • What should I look for in a microscope characteristics? Any tips?
  • Any variable intensity led ring for microscope that I don`t need to feed from the mains? (tips if you have, I can also search myself on Ali)
  • A nice yet not very expensive stand.. should there be any..

Thank you!

EDIT: I found some nice page explaining every objective`s characteristics: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Adjustable-Magnification-100X-180X-200X-300X-600X-25mm-Zoom-C-Mount-Lens-For-HDMI-VGA-USB/33001173563.html
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 11:59:21 am by ro0ter »
Don`t let the smoke flee the components!

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #142 on: May 19, 2019, 09:55:38 am »
Whoa, this mic(roscope) is pretty expensive.. Dave, you`ve done great with the microscope review, I was simply searching on youtube for "usb microscope review" and was presented with your video as a suggestion... However, $500 breaks the bank for me... Any cheaper alternative? I had found some "electronic focus" microscope (which I guess is user-controlled focus) on AliExpress for around $84, yet if anyone could recommend something similar without the auto-focus feature (that one breaks the wallet), I would gladly appreciate the advice and consider the thing...

Here are the cameras I found:
1. 84-usd one, I suppose I also need a C-mount (whatever this mount is) lens assembly, although I see none at this seller.. was hoping to find something compatible on seller`s page, yet it should be C-mount.. what should be a magnification for regular circuitry?
[url]https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Remote-Control-SONY-imx323-sensor-HD-1080P-HDMI-C-Mount-Digital-Video-industrial-microscope-camera-for/32978144150.html[/url]
2. some all-in-one camera, manual focus? doesn`t state anything.. $105 with 180x or 300x, $70 with 180x objective.. these numbers don`t tell me much, I am still watching videos to get some idea on this.. navigating forums etc..

So I`m fixing car keys and other stuff for now, as part of my hobby... Started fixing for my friends (I simply hate paying the stealership big bucks, didn`t want my friends to pay neither..), now I get about 1 key per week, sometimes less.. fixing is about $20~40 per key, parts included, so $500 for a microscope is out of discussion.. Currently I am doing this besides my full-time job (software engineer / industrial automation / c++) which is not a bad pay after all... yet, I don`t like taking from a jar and putting in an other one so every part with its funds.

I just purchased a seek thermal compact (this is not an advertising, don`t buy from them unless you have to (so actually I advise against this product), the negative temperature range simply sucks (-20 is displayed as -2 or even +1 celsius), they don`t offer any support, no reply in more than 2 months since asked...... there are 2 cameras like this - an older belonging to one of my colleagues and my camera which is a little different in design, purchased 1 year later) for fixing "battery-eating" remotes (can`t use the isopropyl technique since key will be killed, provided enough current; there is hardly a 5°C difference between smd parts when constantly eating 20mA for at least 10 seconds (a key usually consumes a short burst of ~7mA in peak for a transmission).. this thermal camera is a big-enough budget hole already, not yet covered :D...

I will also use the microscope for my hobby (which is obviously electronics and embedded, making things etc)...

So here come all the questions:
  • Any advice of a cheap, yet powerful (10+mp) microscope that someone uses and is happy with? Manual focus will do.. but I would like at least "electronic focus" (e.g. user-controlled electronic focus).. autofocus is a dream, don`t twist the knife...
  • What objective should I buy? I need to be able to inspect circuits (angled or not, maybe 5~10cm maximum FOV) and I need to see especially VIAs..
  • What should I look for in a microscope characteristics? Any tips?
  • Any variable intensity led ring for microscope that I don`t need to feed from the mains? (tips if you have, I can also search myself on Ali)
  • A nice yet not very expensive stand.. should there be any..

Thank you!

EDIT: I found some nice page explaining every objective`s characteristics: [url]https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Adjustable-Magnification-100X-180X-200X-300X-600X-25mm-Zoom-C-Mount-Lens-For-HDMI-VGA-USB/33001173563.html[/url]

Take a look at some of my recent videos on microscope cameras - I've tried quite a few
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Offline TD-Linux

• Contributor
« Reply #143 on: May 21, 2019, 02:43:55 am »
Has anyone tried any of the red-body cameras that have started to appear on aliexpress/ebay? e.g.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Focus-1080P-60FPS-HDMI-Digital-Microscope-Camera-1-2-Sony-CMOS-AutoFocus-S/273539396624?hash=item3fb037f410:g:XgcAAOSwN5hb3CU9

They have a remote which seems to be a bit less wonky than a mouse, and are a bit cheaper. No recording, though.

Offline goldfinger_

« Reply #144 on: July 24, 2019, 06:17:43 am »
Just got one of these CMOS Microscope Cameras is its normal for them to make a very noisy  slow grinding/whirling noise from the auto focus motor ?

Had no luck looking for a teardown online on this see what motor these use just in case it needed sourcing/replacing if was to die completely

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
  • Older New "New Player" Player Playa'
« Reply #145 on: August 09, 2019, 04:09:11 am »
I'm glad to see you are making YouTube videos again!

Do you have any advice re: getting the autofocusing one versus the latest package deal you mentioned?

Do you have any advice re: polarized light/filters (for looking at dies, looking at text from different incidence angles)?

It seems like the killer features of this recent video are:

* tri-nocular
* simul-focus
* the 1/2 adapter
* the camera itself

Do you think the autofocusing camera would be a dramatic improvement over this?

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #146 on: August 23, 2019, 09:53:11 am »
An autofocus camera doesn't add much, in fact I keep autofocus turned off as you need to adjust the focus in order to be able to see through the eyepieces...

The next logical improvement is a camera with a much larger sensor. The Sony IMX185, IMX290 etc are all good sensors.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Offline Noy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2019, 10:59:59 pm »
Which Barlow ist better for soldering?

180x and 0.5 or 0.35?

I need enough space for soldering below the cam but need also enough magnification for 0201 parts...

Offline AngusBeef

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #148 on: September 23, 2019, 11:19:01 pm »
I got a binocular loupe similar to this guy (not from Ali though) and have been using it for SMD soldering. It's more convenient (for me) to be able to look around with something mounted on my face.

Sometimes, I wish I had a little more than 3.5x magnification. But up the price range a hair more and they have 5x and 6x magnification versions.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32988468508.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.52262b042AI6Vz&algo_pvid=a07378af-14a1-4693-977e-b9cfaedfeb7b&algo_expid=a07378af-14a1-4693-977e-b9cfaedfeb7b-0&btsid=62de71f0-d6b6-444d-abfe-dceb074777bb&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2,searchweb201603_52

The thing I like about these things (even though it's a little pricey) is that it has a relatively long focal length so I can sit up normally and the board is in focus vs the jeweler style ones that you have to sit up right next to the board to use and aren't binocular.

Offline Southerner

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #149 on: December 27, 2019, 07:42:19 am »

Sometimes, I wish I had a little more than 3.5x magnification. But up the price range a hair more and they have 5x and 6x magnification versions.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32988468508.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.52262b042AI6Vz&algo_pvid=a07378af-14a1-4693-977e-b9cfaedfeb7b&algo_expid=a07378af-14a1-4693-977e-b9cfaedfeb7b-0&btsid=62de71f0-d6b6-444d-abfe-dceb074777bb&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2,searchweb201603_52

The thing I like about these things (even though it's a little pricey) is that it has a relatively long focal length so I can sit up normally and the board is in focus vs the jeweler style ones that you have to sit up right next to the board to use and aren't binocular.

I have not seen any binocular loupes with more than 3.5x.  I would love to find one that is 6x and still have the 420mm focal length.  I did see one web page that added the lenses from some cheap cheater/readers to bump the power like here:
https://www.qsl.net/k9ac/solderScope
to make a better headband magnifier but it seems almost too close for me.  My problem is that my PD is 70 so I can't get lenses out far enough without just closing one eye to be able to see what is being magnified.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf