Author Topic: EEVblog #1280 - Dumpster Lab PC Upgrade  (Read 4997 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
EEVblog #1280 - Dumpster Lab PC Upgrade
« on: January 22, 2020, 10:42:01 pm »
Dave upgrades the processor in the dumpster Lab recording PC to one from another dumpster PC. It's dumpsters all the way down...
Subscribe on LBRY: https://www.eevblog.tv

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, johnlsenchak

Offline evglabs

• Contributor
Re: EEVblog #1280 - Dumpster Lab PC Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 11:08:44 pm »
If you can afford the electricity, what about using any unneeded computers for folding@home?

Offline johnlsenchak

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • js@antihotmail.com
    • paypal.me/johnsenchak
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 02:53:48 am »

Winner  Winner  Vegemite   Dinner  !
8) 8)

The  latest   Intel   processors  are  10th generation now,  I believe seven or  ten  nanometer  dies

Intel sorts   out I-"N"  processor's  by speed, lower  ones from the same die  get   one   letter  designation   the faster  ones get  a  different  one based on   testing criteria  , but  still they are identical  in the die  circuitry

That  PC   board   pad  could be very well   for one of those  security  integrated  circuit
John Senchak "Daytona  Beach  Florida "
 jls (at)  antihotmail.com   http://www.antihotmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/john.senchak.1

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 03:19:21 am »
If you can afford the electricity, what about using any unneeded computers for folding@home?

I have unlimited energy at the bunker  ;)
Have thought about doing this for while (seti@home) but I need to set up a suitable 4G mobile router first, as the bunker has no wired internet, and only marginal mobile phone reception (because, well, it's a bunker)

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 04:38:18 am »
You need GPUs to get decent performance for that. (My 970 gets about 10x the performance of my 3930k for that use. I haven't mined Curecoin/Foldingcoin on CPU for a very long time, on really cold days there are other CPU coins that offset a lot more of the energy cost.) The good news is that GPUs are close to perfect for that kind of computation, so it would be unlikely for FPGAs or ASICs to be able to get much of an advantage. Curecoin and Foldingcoin really are great FPGA and ASIC resistant coins, would be nice to see them being used more.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 10:39:36 am »
You need GPUs to get decent performance for that. (My 970 gets about 10x the performance of my 3930k for that use. I haven't mined Curecoin/Foldingcoin on CPU for a very long time, on really cold days there are other CPU coins that offset a lot more of the energy cost.) The good news is that GPUs are close to perfect for that kind of computation, so it would be unlikely for FPGAs or ASICs to be able to get much of an advantage. Curecoin and Foldingcoin really are great FPGA and ASIC resistant coins, would be nice to see them being used more.

BOINC and Seti@Home will use both CPU and GPU automatically.
I have spare grunty graphics cards, but CPU's alone still do useful work.

Offline andycsmith

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 01:37:41 pm »

Winner  Winner  Vegemite   Dinner  !
8) 8)

The  latest   Intel   processors  are  10th generation now,  I believe seven or  ten  nanometer  dies

Intel sorts   out I-"N"  processor's  by speed, lower  ones from the same die  get   one   letter  designation   the faster  ones get  a  different  one based on   testing criteria  , but  still they are identical  in the die  circuitry

That  PC   board   pad  could be very well   for one of those  security  integrated  circuit

The latest 10th generation mainstream Intel CPU's are still 14nm i9-10980XE, i9-10900X etc., I think only some of the mobile CPU's, U & Y Series that are down to 10nm.

Hard to be totally certain as their product line up is so confusing now.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 05:13:56 pm »
Not that I want to start a holy war, but that still seems like too much thermal paste ;)

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 03:32:26 am »
Not that I want to start a holy war, but that still seems like too much thermal paste ;)

I knew it would trigger people, so I put on an extra dollop just to be sure. Success!

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, thm_w, mikerj

Offline Deodand2014

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 01:44:51 pm »
Good use of a find. The best find I've had in a dumpster situation was a 23inch Samsung SyncMaster BX2331 monitor.

Offline max_torque

• Super Contributor
    • bitdynamics
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2020, 10:34:47 pm »

I knew it would trigger people, so I put on an extra dollop just to be sure. Success!

Actually, that would be an intesting video!  A study of amount of paste vs thermal impedance?  Set up could be pretty simple, a resistive heater, couple of blocks of metal, and a couple of termistors or thermocouples etc.    :-+

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2020, 10:52:58 pm »
It's been done, some computer overclockers or reviewers have built quite elaborate test jigs to compare various thermal compounds.

But testing for optimal amount is much simpler: remove the heatsink, check if the CPU is fully covered. Anything more than that and it will be squeezed out under pressure. The main difference is how much cleanup you will have to do the next time :P

The eternal question is: pea or grain of rice :-DD

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2020, 11:15:26 am »
It's been done, some computer overclockers or reviewers have built quite elaborate test jigs to compare various thermal compounds.

But testing for optimal amount is much simpler: remove the heatsink, check if the CPU is fully covered. Anything more than that and it will be squeezed out under pressure. The main difference is how much cleanup you will have to do the next time :P

The eternal question is: pea or grain of rice :-DD

For that size, grain of rice, place and press firm, and see how much coverage, and then apply a little more so it makes for a fill coverage.

If you need more than that your heatsink is warped, so take it onto a surface plate with some 1000 grit waterpaper, wetted with water and a drop of detergent, and lap it to an even smooth matt finish. Then clean, degrease and try again, it makes a big difference. Also make sure the CPU itself is clean, grease free and that no dust or other debris falls on the surface before you place the 2 surfaces together.

I had a lot of older Pentium CPU's where the original fan died, and there was no replacement that would fit the mounting, so replaced the heatsink complete with a much bigger one, held to the CPU with metal filled epoxy. They ran a lot cooler than the original, simply because of the larger area of fins, and improved airflow. Just was going to be difficult to ever remove them again, as the new unit would foul the lever lock for the socket, but those boards were in almost every case going to run till they died from capacitor plague anyway.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2020, 10:32:27 pm »

Actually, that would be an intesting video!  A study of amount of paste vs thermal impedance?  Set up could be pretty simple, a resistive heater, couple of blocks of metal, and a couple of termistors or thermocouples etc.    :-+

Gamers Nexus covered this fairly recently.  Testing paste applications ranging from a thin even coating up to obviously too large blobs of paste made no significant difference to CPU temperatures.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2020, 11:11:48 pm »
Gamers Nexus covered this fairly recently.  Testing paste applications ranging from a thin even coating up to obviously too large blobs of paste made no significant difference to CPU temperatures.

Surprise surprise.
Coolermaster recommend the "thin even layer" application in their notes that come with their heatsinks.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2020, 07:56:40 am »
<tinfoil hat>
Because that way you waste more paste and they sell that too >:D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 07:58:19 am by magic »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf