Author Topic: EEVblog #818 - Embedded Electronics With Jack Ganssle  (Read 26257 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
EEVblog #818 - Embedded Electronics With Jack Ganssle
« on: November 17, 2015, 11:35:18 am »
Embedded legend Jack Ganssle and Dave have an impromptu chat on embedded electronics. Everything from EE learning and education, 8008 processors to quantum computing, and from VW Combi vans to the recent Toyota and Volkswagon scandals
http://www.ganssle.com/
Jack's Books: http://amzn.to/1MPcAeV
Newsletter: http://www.ganssle.com/tem-subunsub.html
Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC067MO4ZVsbA8QDJG0qCTJQ

The following users thanked this post: s8548a

Offline tec5c

• Frequent Contributor
Re: EEVblog #818 - Embedded Electronics With Jack Ganssle
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 11:41:53 am »
Where are his 900 blog videos? His YT channel only has 16 videos on it...

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 11:46:51 am »
Where are his 900 blog videos?

I said text blog posts.

Offline tec5c

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 11:53:12 am »
Where are his 900 blog videos?

I said text blog posts.

:-\ I had to rewatch that bit. You said "..you think I've done a lot of videos..how many blog posts have you done?"

|O

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 01:20:46 pm »
:-\ I had to rewatch that bit. You said "..you think I've done a lot of videos..how many blog posts have you done?"
 |O

Well, I knew what I meant  ;D

Offline g.lewarne

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 02:51:51 pm »
Thoroughly interesting and enjoyable, thankyou Dave and Jack :)

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 03:14:49 pm »
That was fun, thank you gentlemen.

Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline TerminalJack505

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 04:19:38 pm »
We had Jack give a lecture where I work. 

I was kind of amused by the frankness of the talk when it came to discussion regarding management.  These were the people signing his paycheck, yet a lot of the lecture focused negatively on management or espoused ideas that management would find particularly unpalatable.

I'm not in management so it was nice to have Jack advocate for us lowly engineers.  (We got our fair share of tough love, too.)  It was a very good lecture but I'm left wondering how often Jack gets invited back to the same company.

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 05:38:37 pm »
I believe even on the big aircraft carriers they still have some guy go out on deck with a sextant every day and report to
the captain just so they know how to do it if it was ever needed

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 05:55:21 pm »
We had Jack give a lecture where I work. 

I was kind of amused by the frankness of the talk when it came to discussion regarding management.  These were the people signing his paycheck, yet a lot of the lecture focused negatively on management or espoused ideas that management would find particularly unpalatable.

I'm not in management so it was nice to have Jack advocate for us lowly engineers.  (We got our fair share of tough love, too.)  It was a very good lecture but I'm left wondering how often Jack gets invited back to the same company.

Yes, we had Jack here as well. It's an excellent lecture and presentation.

Offline ECEdesign

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 06:41:25 pm »
Excellent interview Dave!  I really enjoyed it, as a student there is a lot to learn and I am eager to learn as much as I can and start building stuff.  I think its really cool where EE, Chemistry and Physics come together such as in new transistor design or data storage solutions. 

Offline jonwil

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 10:58:57 pm »
In regards to the security of cars, I think that putting a cellular connection into a car is a VERY stupid idea and whoever came up with it is an idiot.
Now we have the EU pushing a mandate for cellular connections to enable OnStar type emergency assist technology where a car will automatically notify emergency services in a serious accident (e.g. airbag deployment might trigger it).

What is needed is to go the other way. Don't have data connections (mobile, WiFi or otherwise) in cars. Any wireless interfaces that do need to exist (such as for Bluetooth stuff for phones or for tyre pressure monitoring) should be locked down tight and have no access to the vehicle systems.

The root problem though is that cars are just too complex and have too much computer control. In the olden days it used to be that there was a physical link between the brake pedal and the brakes on the car and that was it. You press the pedal, fluid flows through the brake lines and presses the brake pads and the car slows down or stops. Same with the throttle being a direct link from the accelerator pedal to the engine and its systems. Now we have ABS, traction control, stability control, anti-lock brakes, adaptive cruise control and all these other "drive by wire" technologies where the computers have the ability to control all the cars systems (quite a few cars can even have the steering actuated by the computer these days).

Offline djacobow

• Super Contributor
  • takin' it apart since the 70's
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 04:53:44 am »
Thanks for that, gentlemen. I really enjoyed that interview.

As a mid-career EE (let's call it 20 years in for round numbers), I find both of your opinions on the career prospects for EEs very interesting. I came from semiconductor and processor design world, and frankly, that's not a growth area anymore. I'm newer to the board and system level world, and am not certain whether this is a great space for the next 20. Don't get me wrong -- we can do awesome stuff, and as a hobbyist it's super-exciting, but as a career, it's not clear to me at all. Highly integrated SoCs do so much for you, and when you need to go off-chip, you can usually use a reasonably painless serial interface of some kind to communicate with the next whiz-bang do-it-all part. For the majority of designs that don't involve lots of analog or mega speed, putting a modest board together isn't that big a deal.

That's good and it's bad. A lot of the complexity has moved into SW, and that's fine, but I still love the HW.

Offline orion242

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 05:18:33 am »
Fantastic video, thanks!

Offline Dinsdale

• Regular Contributor
    • pretzelogic
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 07:24:59 am »
16:21 (or nearby): What a couple of stoners!
Fantastic interview / performance / production.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 03:42:28 pm by Dinsdale »
This can't be happening.

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 09:20:32 am »
I loved his reference to 'ethics in engineering'...
A very important concept.
Engineering in its many hats has provided society with an incredible variety of opportunities over the last 60-odd years.
For the most part, the commercial exploitation of these opportunities has been relentlessly unethical for any number of reasons.  VW and other recent cases are just the ones that were caught, and received media attention.
Without getting buried in semantics and bureaucracy, which can be as bad as morality management... we as a group must begin spending time examining the use of technology for technology's sake - over a real contribution to process vs a real contribution to shareholder value.
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 10:17:16 am »
Ethics are important. After I got my degree I was approached by two companies, both of whom offered me a reasonably large salary if I would go and work for them. One manufactured missiles and the other built nuclear submarines and both of them received a polite 'no thanks'. I ended up using my Electrical Engineering degree elsewhere (and for less pay) but I got to sleep at nights.

Yes, I KNOW that some of you do defense work but we each get to make the personal decision and I'm happy with the one I made.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 12:20:31 pm »
I found the API-around-quantum-computing concept interesting -- I'm not so sure that's a viable approach (the two of you perhaps approaching the same conclusion later in the video too). I mean, a firmware engineer hearing early rumours about FPGAs and with no concept of logic gates might have thought the same thing ("I don't need to understand gates, an API will abstract that away for me"), but oh how wrong they'd be!

Offline ECEdesign

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2015, 05:02:59 pm »
As a mid-career EE (let's call it 20 years in for round numbers), I find both of your opinions on the career prospects for EEs very interesting. I came from semiconductor and processor design world, and frankly, that's not a growth area anymore. I'm newer to the board and system level world, and am not certain whether this is a great space for the next 20. Don't get me wrong -- we can do awesome stuff, and as a hobbyist it's super-exciting, but as a career, it's not clear to me at all. Highly integrated SoCs do so much for you, and when you need to go off-chip, you can usually use a reasonably painless serial interface of some kind to communicate with the next whiz-bang do-it-all part. For the majority of designs that don't involve lots of analog or mega speed, putting a modest board together isn't that big a deal.

That's good and it's bad. A lot of the complexity has moved into SW, and that's fine, but I still love the HW.

So do you think that hardware EEs are a becoming less needed?  I have wondered this with things like software defined radio replacing the need for as much hardware.  Programming is ok but hardware seems much more interesting for me. 

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2015, 05:05:40 pm »
Excellent episode. Much appreciated, Dave and Jack!
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Aodhan145

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 05:29:12 pm »
This is one of your best blogs.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 05:40:23 pm »
I actually stopped all work to watch this one. Great content. Great human perspective on engineering. It is really great to see and hear from those that have 'been there, done that' but from a different perceptive and different reasons from another person that has 'been there, done that'.

Thank you for making this one happen, fingers crossed we will be treated with more in the future. One of my most memorable life moments was sitting in the front seat of a DC-3 at an air show talking with a 90+ year old pilot about his experiences in aviation - from before you needed a pilots license to retiring as a 747 captain. The rapid changes, the culture, the technology. This video was like that.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2015, 05:57:51 pm »
Thumbs up for this one  :-+

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2015, 06:48:09 pm »
Nice video. I'm happy to know I'm in the right field of engineering, according to Jack Gannsle at leat.
I followed an Embedded System Design bachelors basically learning both the hardware and the software domain. And indeed, most embedded software at my company was made by Electrical Engineers, you know, those who design flawless analog frontends and high power output stages. Yet, the software is a bit left behind.

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2015, 06:53:25 pm »
Discussion about embedded electronics was very interesting. Big thanks for Jack Ganssle for showing up during his holidays.

I found sound quality to be borderline annoying and painful to listen - sound levels were very different for Jack and Dave, I found myself constantly adjusting volume. Maybe try different microphones for each person or use more aggressive software sound equalisation next time.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf