Author Topic: EEVblog 1418 - The Most EMBARRASSING Repair  (Read 3184 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
EEVblog 1418 - The Most EMBARRASSING Repair
« on: September 14, 2021, 10:25:33 pm »
This "Repair" of a Keysight DSOX1102G oscilloscope was a tad embarrassing...

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Re: EEVblog 1418 - The Most EMBARRASSING Repair
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 08:02:55 am »
The scope clearly doesn't like it there, even though it now appears to be working again it should be sent to my lab for disposal. Keysight products are always happy in my lab.
 >:D >:D >:D
VE7FM

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 09:00:14 am »
At that time also my "hacked" scope (DSOX1002A) has beginning to behave like Dave scope. But after reverting the hack, which many times has been succesfully, last time has not been return to normal. Instead it has failed calibration on channel 2 and deepened this simpotm with every failed calibration, until both channel have completely get out of scale. No reset, downgrade/upgrade fw, have been able to restore it. After sending to a local dealer they replaced it with a new one.  :)

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 09:50:11 am »
Different hardware configurations can have a different format for the cal data (e.g. 2 channel version needs less than 4 channel). An incompatible data format coud srew up the calibration.  Having a different HW than the SW expects can definitely make the internal CAL fail. The resistors are not just to sell crippled versions. Chances are they have the same SW for different versions like a 2 and 4 channel verion and they may use those resistors to detect those diferences too, though some may be detectable in a different way too.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 04:16:42 pm »
At that time also my "hacked" scope (DSOX1002A) has beginning to behave like Dave scope. But after reverting the hack, which many times has been succesfully, last time has not been return to normal. Instead it has failed calibration on channel 2 and deepened this simpotm with every failed calibration, until both channel have completely get out of scale. No reset, downgrade/upgrade fw, have been able to restore it. After sending to a local dealer they replaced it with a new one.  :)

Seems you made an improper selection of the strapping resistors, especially if you did not apply the channels and trigger hardware mods. Or had a poor soldering job.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 10:57:03 pm »
Poor soldering job can be excluded, but I have done succesfully multiple times, mod and revert. There were just two resistors, so as long as the mod was succesfully more times, it is not possible to put other resistors.     
But at one point in time reverting was no more posible.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 01:01:14 am »
I suspect this could be something the AgilentKeysight people put into the firmware to mess around with those trying to hack their way to a free upgrade...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf