Author Topic: wtb: pci bracket for a quad rj45 connector  (Read 1677 times)

Offline legacyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
wtb: pci bracket for a quad rj45 connector
« on: April 21, 2019, 05:38:54 pm »

I am looking for something like this.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: wtb: pci bracket for a quad rj45 connector
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 07:20:21 pm »
Normally they are custom made, your choice would be to find something similar on Ebay ?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 08:58:52 pm »
I've found aftermarket brackets for similar cards on Ebay, though I don't think it was this exact card model.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 09:10:24 am »
I've found aftermarket brackets for similar cards on Ebay, though I don't think it was this exact card model.

just the bracket? I cannot find just the bracket, and I don't need to support a specific card-model, I need the bracket for an experimental equipment I am building.

anyway, can you link the auction?

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 09:16:40 am »
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HP-NC375T-QLE3044-Server-Quad-Port-Gigabit-Server-Ethernet-Adapter-538696-B21-53/153325469453?hash=item23b2e8ff0d:m:mucqGLuzDNh3hTZ4s1cQPmw&frcectupt=true

Though in all honesty you may be better off heading down to your local tech refurbisher or tech charity, they wont use those cards for the machines they build but they get them from ex server gear.

otherwise if your not opposed to using a drill and a file, you can buy the blanks dirt cheap, just make the holes yourself
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3pcs-PC-Case-PCI-Expansion-Slot-Back-Plate-Cover-Dust-Filter-Steel-Blank-Multi/112166561977?hash=item1a1da5e8b9:m:mZqHO-hJJo-gQO3zWLxKT6A&frcectupt=true

I would not be surprised if any IT area you asked would not give those away

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 10:16:23 am »
Could also try:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Height-Bracket-for-X710-DA4-FH-Quad-port-Ethernet-Converged-Network/183567654118?hash=item2abd7c1ce6:g:pr4AAOSwhzhcBnyD
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sun-Quad-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter-PCIe-Low-Profile-ATLS1QGE/132881142435?epid=1882467071&hash=item1ef05552a3:g:X80AAOSwh39cCuGz
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sun-501-7606-07-Quad-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter-Full-Height-Bracket/151923839545?epid=2216808617&hash=item235f5dd239:g:vBYAAOSw1S9WeJMx

All under $10 shipped in the US. (I don't know what country "00" is.) Note that the middle one is low profile; the other two are standard expansion slot height.

I have a bracket that I could dig up and mail, but a priority mail box in the US costs $7.90 just for shipping for retail customers, so you're not going to save much buying it from a forum member versus the listings above.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 05:31:26 am »
I don't know what country "00" is

Country "00" is for the wonderland  :D

kidding, I live between Italy and Switzerland

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 05:38:46 am »

yup, in the IT area of one of the customers we follow, someone  trashed a dozen of quad Ethernet cards (and they were very good ones, made by Digital)  :palm:  :palm:

Elisabeth (my girlfriend) bought a couple of Tulip cards on eBay for 50 euro each, and they are perfectly working so I cannot recycle the bracket for the experiment I am willing to try.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 01:05:12 pm »

yup, in the IT area of one of the customers we follow, someone  trashed a dozen of quad Ethernet cards (and they were very good ones, made by Digital)  :palm:  :palm:

I know, it's shocking how hopelessly obsolete gear gets disposed of.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 03:01:46 pm »
These cards don't tend to be hopelessly obsolete. Gigabit cards are very useful today. These cards don't tend to be the most frugal, but depending on the model it could also definitely be worse.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 03:21:10 pm »
usually IT guys tend to trash everything is not ePCI & everything is large form factor.

look at our Digital quad ethernet cards in the pic
- they are PCI ---> not ePCI? trash it!
- they are long form factor ---> too big! trash it!

this is how they think  :palm:

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 03:37:47 pm »

For this project, we will really need a shorter quad ethernet PCI card.

Currently we are using the gigabit switch you can see in the pic. It's the one on the top of the stack of boards, but ... two of those boards are used as NAS nodes, so they have a SATA contreller, while the top board just under the lan-switch is used as bootstrapper and supervisor, and it can be more efficiently used with a quad Ethernet on it, so it will be "the router" of the whole system, and this is really nice.

Our two big Digital quad ethernet cards in the pics are too long for the chassis, but this is not a problem for a server, or an HP RISC workstation, which have all the space for them. So they will go there, and we will buy a shorter quad ethernet card for that project.

Anyway, the bracket we are looking for is for another and completely different project where we'd like to wire for VGA channels over four CAT5 connectors and cables. This, if possible, will save a lot of space, and it will also simply the standing desk project (reusing IKEA's stuff)

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 03:42:24 pm »
this is how they think

And why not? Particularly for quad Ethernet such as this, you'd be looking at a serious installation supporting many users. Anything you buy now is unlikely to have PCI so you'd be looking at using 'legacy' equipment. The issue there is if it goes wrong and you need to replace a part, the entire box is useless since you won't find new stuff to fit, and if you did it won't be supported.

Using irreplaceable worn-out kit for essential infrastructure, presumably to save a couple of quid, is not the way to run a business. Far cheaper in the long run to buy new 'current' gear.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2019, 06:39:39 pm »
These cards don't tend to be hopelessly obsolete. Gigabit cards are very useful today. These cards don't tend to be the most frugal, but depending on the model it could also definitely be worse.

DEC = pre-2000. No gigabit.

10/100, PCI, massive form factor - just a pile of electronic scrap.

usually IT guys tend to trash everything is not ePCI & everything is large form factor.

look at our Digital quad ethernet cards in the pic
- they are PCI ---> not ePCI? trash it!
- they are long form factor ---> too big! trash it!

this is how they think  :palm:

And considering they deal with technology post-2005.. they're not wrong.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf