Author Topic: Warning: Aliexpress will require all customers to scan their personal ID cards!  (Read 87200 times)

Offline YansiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
Now this organisation has really pissed me off.

After trying a payment, this showed up. WTF is that bullshit? A phishing and ID theft at once? 

it came from this address
Code: [Select]
https://icashier.alipay.com/error.htm?errorId=c4320ff9e48d82890e20566cb022354b&orderId=01050060130095fa4d8aa1640e6b1935
Alipay is the usual payment address, should have been secure.

What do you guys think?

« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 08:31:20 pm by Yansi »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Re: Aliexpress trying phishing or ID theft?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 06:25:33 pm »
I think for some reason their software decided that you are committing suspicious activity. Personally never seen that crap. Did you use credit/debit cards with different names on them or shipping to various addresses/names?

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 06:30:35 pm »
I use the same card, same name, same address the entire years I use the service. Never modified or changed anything.

And at the same time, I am not willing to save my cardnumber or anything anywhere on their web. Same goes for uploading any photos of passports, drivers license. This is not only suspicios from their side, but also a violation of law.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 06:49:16 pm »
Then, didn't you order this time from some other computer or while being abroad? Had similar crap with Paypal, though they didn't ask any id but temporarily suspended my account.

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 06:53:12 pm »
This is not only suspicios from their side, but also a violation of law.

What law? I've had plenty of businesses require similar ID, including reputable mobile companies* wanting similar scans/photos of documents. I'm pretty certain this is them actually trying to conform with anti ID theft and card theft laws, even if I may not personally agree with the method.

*Well as reputable as they get :-\
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 06:53:42 pm »
I use only my two PCs at home. Never used anywhere else, as that would not be safe.

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 07:03:26 pm »
This is not only suspicios from their side, but also a violation of law.

What law? I've had plenty of businesses require similar ID, including reputable mobile companies* wanting similar scans/photos of documents. I'm pretty certain this is them actually trying to conform with anti ID theft and card theft laws, even if I may not personally agree with the method.

*Well as reputable as they get :-\

Our laws strictly forbid to make any copies or photos of personal ID cards. With the only exception, when the rightful owner of the document is willing to share the information on the card.

I am not willing to share my ID number with them, neither am I willing to make a photo of it - at all.

So what do you think, should I share it with them? I do not consider it much safe.

I will also try to contact their customer service, if they have anything to say.

//EDIT: It starts to seem, this is anothe big screwup by aliexpress. I have now tried locating the Help Center on Alipay, and when I select "How can I pay on AliExpress?" in the "New user guide" there is nothing there.
Also the Customer Service on Aliexpress and payment related topics end with 404 Fail.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 07:10:44 pm by Yansi »

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 07:11:44 pm »
Our laws strictly forbid to make any copies or photos of personal ID cards. With the only exception, when the rightful owner of the document is willing to share the information on the card.

I am not willing to share my ID number with them, neither am I willing to make a photo of it - at all.

They haven't copied them, they've asked if you are willing to share the information. They're just not (at this point) willing to do business with you if you aren't willing.

So what do you think, should I share it with them? I do not consider it much safe.

Personally no, I wouldn't even show my bank my passport or drivers license. That has made some stuff hard work but in the end it was my choice to give up the convenience for the sake of a little more security. I doubt they're actually up to anything underhand but I think on these issues we think alike lol.

I will also try to contact their customer service, if they have anything to say.

That's what I'd do. Has worked for me before.
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 07:26:40 pm »
You know whats funny?

If you open up the online customer service, there is an announcment on the top saying:

To ensure the safety of your personal information, please kindly remind do not submit your personal ID or card information in the form of screenshot. Thank you!

So do not make a screen shot, scan it both sides, as says the new user guide help: https://intl.alipay.com/help/exampleKYC.htm

What a joke!

FUCK YOU ALIPAY!

//EDIT: Still not connected to the customer support center.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 07:52:05 pm by Yansi »

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 08:30:28 pm »
So here is a resolution of the situation:

The Alipay support centre officer "Maryl" has told me:

"I would like you to know that beginning last month, AliExpress is requesting all its customers to activate and verify their Alipay accounts to ensure safety and confidence while using and buying in AliExpress site."

And also that this is a gradual process, because of the amount of users. So if you haven't been asked to scan your personal ID card, you sure will.

I am quitting to use Aliexpress. Buy. Those guys has gone too far.

Have a nice day and use my rant as a big warning.

I have also renamed the thread so that it will now has the exact meaning of what the situation is.

Online Rick Law

• Super Contributor
I too will be reluctant to scan my passport or driver's license into their system.

Credit card is one thing, passport or driver's license is another.  Rather disturbing, I must say.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
Seems like a lot of places are like that these days. I know every time I go to PayPal they remind me my verification or some crap, is incomplete. "You're at 40%, almost there!!!" they say. They want me to apply for a credit card, they want me to link a bank account, gimmee gimmee gimmee. Sorry, not in my neighborhood.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Seems like it's voluntary.  :-\

From this page and popup:
http://us.ae.aliexpress.com/buyer/buyerIndexNew.htm

We'd Love to Learn a Bit More about You!
For a better shopping better experience, please fill in and provide the following personal data. AliExpress will retain and use such personal data for the following purposes: [Better Recommendations, Customized Shopping Experience, Optimized Business Analysis]("Service and Function"). If you refuse to provide such personal data, you may not be able to use and be provided with the "Service and Function". AliExpress will protect your personal data in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

Lack of "Service and Function" (whatever that is ?) and all this other shite never enhanced my shopping experience.

Edit
Just hit "Don't show this message again" and carry on.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 09:31:40 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
PayPal... meh... have linked my card to it years ago and gladly there weren't a single issue (which cannot be said of some ebay sellers).

But Alipay requiring you to SCAN A PERSONAL ID card... holy cow...

Why wouldn't be enought to make the verification same way as Paypal does (at leas did, years ago): Gave you a bank account numbers, and said "pay a few bucks, we will then enable your account and return you those few bucks".  Was simple, piece of cake.

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051

For a better shopping better experience, please fill in and provide the following personal data. AliExpress will retain and use such personal data for the following purposes: [Better Recommendations, Customized Shopping Experience, Optimized Business Analysis]("Service and Function"). If you refuse to provide such personal data, you may not be able to use and be provided with the "Service and Function". AliExpress will protect your personal data in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

Lack of "Service and Function" (whatever that is ?) and all this other shite never enhanced my shopping experience.

Of course, it is voluntary. But if you don't like to share your whole privacy with them, then you cannot use their service. The web page (screenshot in first post of this thread) will always appear when trying to make any payment, demanding your ID.

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
Oh my goodness!

They even LIE on their website!

see this: https://icshall.alipay.com/hall/cateQuestion.htm?type=KNOWLEDGE_BASE&helpId=83&language=en_US

I am sorry to inform you that currently Alipay Accounts cannot be cancelled yet.

However, if you don’t want to use Alipay Account, you may leave it alone first.
It will not affect other functions such as payment and refund in AliExpress.

...maybe the catch is the word "first". Because "next" is probably "we will then block any of your trials to make a payment".

Online tautech

• Super Contributor

Of course, it is voluntary. But if you don't like to share your whole privacy with them, then you cannot use their service. The web page (screenshot in first post of this thread) will always appear when trying to make any payment, demanding your ID.
https://intl.alipay.com/help/agreements/detail.htm?agreement=AlipayServiceAgreement
Updated as of March, 2015

So that's old but this is new:
https://intl.alipay.com/user/activateEmail.htm

Maybe it's just to update/confirm your account details?  :-\

I need nothing ATM so I'll wait for others to confirm this.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
It would appear that they don't trust me.
But then, I don't trust them with images of my ID, either.
So we are even. 
They won't do business with me, and I will return the favor.
Adios, Ali!

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
tautech: Yes, it is to confirm your account details. But to do this, you absolutely have to give them the required ID and photos. There's no way around it (as far as I know). The support officer "Maryl" has also insured me that I have to do such verification.

I have tried the verification process (too see what it's like). You check ur name, fill in your birth date, select nationality and then there is the personal ID card  editbox.

And then it continues with address, telephone numbers and other stuff i don't remember, as I was really concerned only about the personal ID.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 09:50:03 pm by Yansi »

Offline 6581

• Supporter
Absolutely, just say no. I'm never going to scan/photo and send any of my IDs just to buy some crap from net. It's not even going to be solution for stolen credit cards. It's just creating more problems and teaching people that it's ok to send photos of IDs is a disaster.

I order stuff and pay for it. You send me the stuff to a specified address. End of transaction. No need for ID.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
tautech: Yes, it is to confirm your account details. But to do this, you absolutely have to give them the required ID and photos. There's no way around it (as far as I know). The support officer "Maryl" has also insured me that I have to do such verification.

I have tried the verification process (too see what it's like). You check ur name, fill in your birth date, select nationality and then there is the personal ID card  editbox.

And then it continues with address, telephone numbers and other stuff i don't remember, as I was really concerned only about the personal ID.
Most stuff can be bypassed with garbage, just tried.  :-DD

For the Personal ID, select other, enter garbage for type and garbage for Identity doc no

We'll see what happens next.  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
Ok, so please tell us, what happens next. As I have understood, they do a manual check after. (after filling the info, you have a "verification status" that will disappear after they do a manual check).

I haven't quit my account yet, as I am still missing  8 or more items.  If there will be no solution how to bypass the IDs after I receive my order, I will probably quit my account. As there really is no point for me, to use a service, where they try to steal your identity (with whatever "it is good for mankind" bullshit) and then you don't receive anythin until 2 months and even after 2 months from order it is uncertain if it will ever arrive. (And that is, to a central Europe).

Tautech: Btw: You have to also upload a photo after filling this data. What will you upload then?

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
I am sure the requirement will quietly vanished, as will their customers if they in force it.  In any event you can just buy the same tat on eBay.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
At last page they have an "Identity Verification" were you are asked for a pic of your Identity document plus this:

Please note:
• [IMPORTANT] If your ID does not contain an address, please upload an additional document that shows your address, such as a utility bill or bank statement that is not more than 3 months old. This address needs to be the same as the one in your profile.
• Make sure that the name and ID number in your profile are exactly the same as on your ID.
• Make sure that you upload a color copy of your ID. Expired IDs are not accepted.
• If you have an ID that also contains information in English, please upload a photo of this one. This will help us verify your identity faster.
• Please do not upload any selfies, landscape photos or student cards.

Fun time, shall we fill their sever with all sorts of crap?  :-DD

Edit
From top of verification page:
Identity-verified account enjoys a higher payment limit.
Do they mean higher than zero?  :-DD
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 10:25:58 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
Doesn't Mastercard disallow this?

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
I am sure the requirement will quietly vanished, as will their customers if they in force it.  In any event you can just buy the same tat on eBay.

Unfortunately that's not fully true. I like the Aliexpress over Ebay as I can source there far more things closer to unobtanium :-)  Like uncommon types of LCD displays,  NOS stock of old chips (recently I have bought a synthesizer chip for casio SA5 for my friend!) and so..
And also ebay buyer protection sucks. NEver worked and quite more scam than on aliexpress.

Marco: Hey, that's interesting. How have you concluded that? Can you provide more detail please? (as I am an owner of one mastercard...)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
I too have greater confidence in Aliexpress, the "Confirm Good Received" is a far better system IMO.

Ok, so please tell us, what happens next. As I have understood, they do a manual check after. (after filling the info, you have a "verification status" that will disappear after they do a manual check).

I haven't quit my account yet, as I am still missing  8 or more items.  If there will be no solution how to bypass the IDs after I receive my order, I will probably quit my account. As there really is no point for me, to use a service, where they try to steal your identity (with whatever "it is good for mankind" bullshit) and then you don't receive anythin until 2 months and even after 2 months from order it is uncertain if it will ever arrive. (And that is, to a central Europe).

Tautech: Btw: You have to also upload a photo after filling this data. What will you upload then?
DSO info screenshot as below.

Then I got this:
https://intl.alipay.com/certify/success.htm

We have received your application.
Alipay will verify your identity and inform you the result within 7-10 business days. Please wait in patience in the meanwhile.

:popcorn:  :popcorn:  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
The Master card rules say this :

A Merchant may request but must not require a Cardholder to provide additional
identification information as a condition of Card acceptance, unless such information is
required to complete the Transaction, such as for shipping purposes, or the Standards
specifically permit or require such information to be collected.

A Merchant in a country or region that supports use of the MasterCard Address Verification
Service (AVS) for MasterCard POS Transactions may require the Cardholder’s ZIP or postal code
to complete a Cardholder-Activated Terminal (CAT) Transaction, or the Cardholder’s address
and ZIP or postal code to complete a mail order, phone order, or e-commerce Transaction.

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
Then I think it would be quite interesting to report this to MasterCard headquarters.  Things might get going fast...  :-+

Thank you for the very useful insight!

Offline wraper

• Supporter
PayPal... meh... have linked my card to it years ago and gladly there weren't a single issue (which cannot be said of some ebay sellers).

But Alipay requiring you to SCAN A PERSONAL ID card... holy cow...

Why wouldn't be enought to make the verification same way as Paypal does (at leas did, years ago): Gave you a bank account numbers, and said "pay a few bucks, we will then enable your account and return you those few bucks".  Was simple, piece of cake.
To be fair, Paypal requested my ID scan after I received certain amount of money in my account.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
Is there some confusion over paying with your card on AliExpress vs opening an AliPay account?

I decided to open an AliPay account because, well, AliExpress is great and all but I may need to dig deeper into China and get stuff from Taobao for example ;)

I had to provide a copy of my passport IIRC to open it. Just like Chinese have to provide their government ID to open an account.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
This is the new (to me) payment page were there is an Alipay option now:
http://activities.aliexpress.com/adcms/help-aliexpress-com/pay_order.php

Previously payment was via Escrow and it seems they're added this Alipay as the default option.
Solution: select one of the other payment methods and don't use Alipay.  :-\
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 10:55:08 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline wraper

• Supporter
I decided to open an AliPay account because, well, AliExpress is great and all but I may need to dig deeper into China and get stuff from Taobao for example ;)
As I figured out Alipay for westerners != Chinese Alipay. It seemed to be useless except for Aliexpress (At least was in Summer). Figured out because there was no way to pay for a purchase on Rakuten. You cannot use your login with Alipay mobile app too.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 11:07:49 pm by wraper »

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
As I figured out Alipay for westerners != Chinese Alipay. It seemed to be useless except for Aliexpress (At least was in Summer). Figured out because there was no way to pay for a purchase on Rakuten. You cannot use your login with Aliexpress mobile app too.
What? The bastards. I wanted to find a mail forwarder so I could send all my cheap Taobao shite in bulk for the 1cent international postage too.  :palm:

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
Tautech: I have deselected Alipay. Always. Still it didn't help.

blueskull: An as I've stated earlier and as the Alipay support service has stated, the verification process will be gradualy applied to all Aliexpres customers. If the support has lied to me, I am sorry, no way I can verify that. 

Macbeth: What confusion?  I think there is no such. I am only being forced to open an Alipay account and to do so send them a copy of my ID.  If I don't do this, I can't maky any payment. The payment website don't even open, when clicking on any of the "Pay order" buttons, it directly jumps to the verification of "my new Alipay account" I have never wanted or used.

For those interested, who might want to report to mastercard, I have found this address:  Law_Enforcement_Support(at)mastercard(dot)com

I would be very curious about their reply. So I will try... Who wants to try too?

Online ConKbot

• Super Contributor
Id online? Yeah, no. I had gmpartsdirect try that because the 'bank flagged it because the shipping and billing address were different. 'if the bank was so worried, why did they approve it? '   "they didn't approve it, the cvn was wrong"  'yeah go ahead and cancel the order and get an ecommerce system that rejects invalid cvns, thanks' 

Just say it wasn't approved and get me to resubmit the order or payment info online like normal websites. If the cvn wasnt valid, they shouldn't be approving the payment regardless. Plus the address wasn't a new one for that card, plus it's my GM branded mastercard ordering GM car parts :palm:

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
I have reported it to MasterCard. Let's see what their response will be (if any).

And have also found some strange statements here: https://icshall.alipay.com/hall/cateQuestion.htm?type=KNOWLEDGE_BASE&helpId=69&language=en_US

Doesn't make much sense for me. If the bank will hold payment, it's not the Alipay's business to be resolved by stealing my personal ID.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 12:52:52 am by Yansi »

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
And how exactly are they going to check that what you send is actually genuine?
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
Mike,  proof of what I have said is very simple. It is just enough to open the help center and read. Everything you need to know is there. (e.g. give us you ID otherwise we will block your card to increase your security)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
I haven't yet encountered this new requirement, but the last time I made a purchase on AliExpress was around November.

If I'm presented with this at my next purchase attempt, then for me the solution is simple. I'll stop buying via AliExpress. However, I'll keep my account because things may change (they can deactivate it if they wish).

I've seen other online services ask for photo ID or similar. I can understand that businesses may need to take measures to protect themselves against fraud, but compromising my security to do so is not an option. I'll just go elsewhere, even if that reduces my choices or costs more. Recovering from identity theft is significantly more expensive.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
As the support officer told me, it is progressive process. As they do some sort of manual validation of the IDs (if I understood  that right), the need some time to do it, as they have quite a lot of users. (And they will have a lot of pissed users too...)

I have also always used credit card. And always from the same computers, with same contact address. It seems they just like pissing their customers with their junk software.

A few minutes ago, I got a notification to leave a feedback on some transaction via email. Hell, even the link in the mail didn't work!

Offline Brumby

• Supporter

My first thought....

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
If you created your own "photo ID" how would they know if it was real or not?   O0

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
... especially in this day and age where just about anybody could mock up a fake ID on their computer.

Offline matseng

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Github
... especially in this day and age where just about anybody could mock up a fake ID on their computer.
There are plenty of companies that can create "authentic" fake physical documents of any type for you.  Need an utility bill showing that you live at the White House, or a $500 000/monthly salary slip from CIA - not a problem.

Or good looking physical ID cards - easy to do in Bangkok. The following is from an article about Khao San road in Bangkok:

He was a Thai man, in a blue shirt and wearing glasses, he produced a large album - the kind used to hold business cards - for me to flip through. In it there were well over 100 samples of identity cards, from driving licences to student passes to airline crew passes and many others. There was even an Interpol ID card and a Singapore identity card.

When I expressed surprise at the Interpol card he stared and said: "Are you Interpol? Are you Interpol?" But I laughed it off. I chose a Singapore driving licence and a Qatar Airways crew card. They cost 800 baht each. He informed me they would take an hour and a half to make. I gave him a couple of passport photographs I had brought for the occasion, and he said that for the airline card he could alter the photograph to have me in a suit and tie.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor

My first thought....

I thought the goal was to NOT use your own (real) image. That looks exactly like Tautech.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor

My first thought....

I thought the goal was to NOT use your own (real) image. That looks exactly like Tautech.
:-DD
Na, I've got more hair.  ;D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
You guys must be crazy if willing to give your ID with photo and associated information to Chinese.

Especially if this is in exchange to a privilege to buy $1 shit.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
You guys must be crazy if willing to give your ID with photo and associated information to Chinese.

I quite agree, but if one plays their cards right with questions asked to sellers, often they'll offer their email address and you then can choose trade privately. Many have Paypal accounts.

But through Aliexpress your money was safer and you also had robust avenue to address problems with the goods, a far better system than eBay IMHO. This I'm sure has been the secret of Aliexpress success.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor

My first thought....

:-DD
Na, I've got more hair.  ;D

I may beat him by a few strands (of hair).

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor

I quite agree, but if one plays their cards right with questions asked to sellers, often they'll offer their email address and you then can choose trade privately. Many have Paypal accounts.

But through Aliexpress your money was safer and you also had robust avenue to address problems with the goods, a far better system than eBay IMHO. This I'm sure has been the secret of Aliexpress success.

Most of the Ali stuff is available on ebay, the Ali stuff is cheaper and in my opinion a safer purchase (often the same sellers). I haven't been asked to provide any extra info so I'm not sure if this is a basic policy change. Perhaps the part of a transaction that tripped a security alarm, for a single user. If you google it you can see similar one offs at least going back to 2012.

I have had two transactions cancelled by Ali without my asking. Both apparently a scam, I really like the proactive approach they have. Beats the crap out of ebay which leaves it up to the purchaser.

If they did ask for more info I'd go back to using the single purchase method through MC or Visa. I did that initially and although slower also had no issues.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2016, 07:51:59 am »
I never seen what you show here, but recently I ordered 20 different articles in one day (cheap components)
I always had to enter usermail + password, but now also every time a captcha.

I think for some reason their software decided that you are committing suspicious activity.

Don't know if "the software" detected something, or if it was an planned/unplanned daily update.

How did Paypal handle this again? Visa charge+payback 1 euro, with a code as reference, if I remember right.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
I guess it is has to do something with the new 1984 laws in china. They actually want to pin your "reputation" to you. They are not getting a copy of my ID for sure.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
The stupid thing is, if you have previously placed an order and it's been delivered, and the card transaction was not subsequently reversed, that's all they need to show that details are genuine.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
I'm sure they could care less about that.  Rules are rules!

I'm in WA state, and I can't even order from ALI - as they haven't paid their tax (some state import tax id), so they have blocked me and everyone else in Seattle and the PNW completely.

http://komonews.com/news/local/washington-residents-shut-out-from-mega-e-tailer-alibaba

No worry for me.  I find ebay resellers are so worried about feedback, that they sell better items.  For example, on Ali, I bought a set of female banana jacks.  They came with nuts to secure them that were less them 1.5mm thick.  Total junk.  On ebay, They come as 2.5-3mm thick. Very nice.  Cost difference is less then an american dollar.  It's not worth my time to deal with that.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 12:21:16 pm by george graves »

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
I'm in WA state, and I can't even order from ALI - as they...., so they have blocked me and everyone else in Seattle and the PNW completely. ...It's not worth my time to deal with that.
The other way around, Asian goverments coming up with excuses/regulations/exceptions to block USA company services, is very communist/protective/totalitarian.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
I'm sure they could care less about that.  Rules are rules!

I'm in WA state, and I can't even order from ALI - as they haven't paid their tax (some state import tax id), so they have blocked me and everyone else in Seattle and the PNW completely.

http://komonews.com/news/local/washington-residents-shut-out-from-mega-e-tailer-alibaba

No worry for me.  I find ebay resellers are so worried about feedback, that they sell better items.  For example, on Ali, I bought a set of female banana jacks.  They came with nuts to secure them that were less them 1.5mm thick.  Total junk.  On ebay, They come as 2.5-3mm thick. Very nice.  Cost difference is less then an american dollar.  It's not worth my time to deal with that.
For ordering  parts (especially with poor availability), ebay is pretty much useless compared to Aliexpress. About crap banana jacks, you can find crap parts on both places, actually most of what is sold is a crap. And I'm pretty sure your "?ood banana jacks" were available on aliexpress too, unless they were bought from the US seller.
BTW US starts to really piss off a lot of people worldwide by imposing their rules to apply internationally what is a complete BS.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Just look in the OPM breach for the neighbour's info and submit that..... They already have it so easy to confirm, and the posties tend to put wrongly numbered mail into the right boxes as a matter of course, they see the names are different and the neighbour is right so drop it there.

Of course it also relies on the postie being literate, which here is not actually seemingly a requirement or something they test for.

Offline chicken

• Frequent Contributor
  • Rusty Coder

Just enter another state, I use OR, the ZIP code is all that matters for correct delivery. Worked for me so far (10+ orders).

The special state license for escrow money transfer sounds like a racket to protect some local rent seekers. There are plenty of schemes like that in WA. (don't get me started on why there's a need for a private middle-man to get car tabs)

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
No warning yet. I just ordered something 15 minutes ago and used my credit card.  I only started ordering from aliexpress about 3 months ago and so far no problems for the 10 or so items.

I do NOT store my credit card info on their site even though I'm enticed to with discounts, etc.  As a general rule, I do not store my credit number on sites given the choice.

If any site started asking for personal ID cards like passports, etc, I wouldn't be doing business with them.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor

Just enter another state, I use OR, the ZIP code is all that matters for correct delivery. Worked for me so far (10+ orders).

The special state license for escrow money transfer sounds like a racket to protect some local rent seekers. There are plenty of schemes like that in WA. (don't get me started on why there's a need for a private middle-man to get car tabs)

That changed a few months ago. WA residents can now use AliExpress. I've  already ordered from them a few times without any problems.

Car tabs middle man?  Must be a local issue. I've never needed that. Here in Clallam county the local DMV mails me my tabs.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 06:22:01 pm by mtdoc »

Online Rick Law

• Super Contributor

That changed a few months ago. WA residents can now use AliExpress. I've  already ordered from them a few times without any problems.

Car tabs middle man?  Must be a local issue. I've never needed that. Here in Clallam county the local DMV mails me my tabs.

If I understand right, do you mean WA was expecting AliExpress to collect state tax for them?  That law could not have held.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
If I understand right, do you mean WA was expecting AliExpress to collect state tax for them?  That law could not have held.
I strongly suspect that there are thousands of examples of where it is happening even as you are reading this sentence.
Governments have been trying to find ways of taxing the internet since AlGore invented it.
And they appear to be crafty enough to find ways of doing it in any way they can find to get away with it.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor

Whatever it was, it's over. I've purchased a few things now and have paid no sales tax.

FWIW, WA has no state income tax!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 02:04:47 am by mtdoc »

Offline chicken

• Frequent Contributor
  • Rusty Coder
It was about the escrow mechanism. You need to be licensed by the state of WA to offer it to residents.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?Cite=18.44
.. or work with a local agent that already is licensed, who I'm sure had a hand in creating this law.

But according to mtdoc luckily no longer an issue for AliExpress customers.

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
Little update:  Mastercard doesn't care about customers (One couldn't expect anything else from these $$$ companies) - I mean no response from them.

Recently, I saw in a TV some mentioning, that China's  Yuan  value goes down, blabla bla, economics goes down, blablah. The world is afraid, blah blah baa. So it seems, chinese doin' right with thair ID card scam, to support their economics by attracting more potential customers.   :)

... and I have found a pretty funny bug (or two) today:

The Aliexpress is now so fucked up in terms of SW, that it even tells me, that "one item in your cart now costs less" even when the cart is empty. But that's not funny. What seems more interesting is this:

After those fucktards started to boycott my credit card payments, it seems their system is even preventing funding of previous orders, confirmed after the blockage  :-DD I recently got a package of two orders, and confirmed reception fo the goods. As you may know, Aliexpress funds the seller only after buyer confirms the delivery. So I have normaly confirmed, but the process seems stuck. Status is "fund processing" , but that's now there a few days. Never took so long. So, probably a very funny bug in their new "ID card system".  Their problem.

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
Huh!  I've just logged into my Aliexpress account... just beeing curious, what I will find there.   ... Found nothing special.

...tried to order some opamps (AD620) and payment was successful  :o :o :o  The ID card bullshit has GONE  :o :scared: (At least for now...)

Maybe their wooden heads finally realized, their ID card scam would piss many many of their customers.

Offline japasetelagoas

• Regular Contributor
  • Just an ordinary electronics hobbyist.
As a Brazilian, I'm forced to type my CPF (a nationwide ID number) in case I want to pay via ATM bar code. I think that in my case it has more to do with the company that does all the "money transaction", called EBANX.
The endless river...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf