Author Topic: CE Certification & Directives  (Read 1065 times)

Offline DitchTopic starter

• Contributor
CE Certification & Directives
« on: April 04, 2021, 10:23:45 am »
Hi There,

1st of all, I wasn't sure whether to post this in this forum or the beginner's forum so please forgive me if this is a beginner's question!!!

I need to create technical files for products that I have been developing. I've left today free to read up and try to understand this but I'm already confused.

Is there anybody UK-based who does this for a living and whom I could pay to complete these on my behalf?

At the moment, I have 3 products. 2 have microchip processors and the other does not so I thought i would start trying to create a technical file for this basic unit but I can't even work out which directive this falls under.

This basic unit is nothing more than a fancy contactor. Simply supply it with 24vdc and then close a terminal and 3 x SSR switch to energise outputs. This then sends the 24v supply through output terminals to power 3rd party equipment (fire door retainers).

This is only 24v and it outputs 24v so I don't think this falls under the low voltage directive as this is for 75v and upwards.
It doesn't have a processor so I don't think it falls under the electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) Directive.

So I guess my question is a) Which directive does this fall under and b) Is there any UK based people who do this for a living and whom I could pay?

Any help, guidance, or helpful links would be very much appreciated.

Ian

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: CE Certification & Directives
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 10:30:24 am »
Hi There,

1st of all, I wasn't sure whether to post this in this forum or the beginner's forum so please forgive me if this is a beginner's question!!!

I need to create technical files for products that I have been developing. I've left today free to read up and try to understand this but I'm already confused.

Is there anybody UK-based who does this for a living and whom I could pay to complete these on my behalf?
Many EMC test houses can advise on this sort pf thing
(fire door retainers).
There may be fire alarm system standards that you might need to comply with, possibly outside the scope of CE but covered by UK regs
This is only 24v and it outputs 24v so I don't think this falls under the low voltage directive as this is for 75v and upwards.
correct
It doesn't have a processor so I don't think it falls under the electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) Directive.
Whether it has a processor or not is irrelevant, it's about whether it emits, or is susceptible to RF interference , ESD or transients.
A simple device like you describe probably doesn't have any emissions to speak of, but plausibly could have immunity or ESD issues
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 10:36:57 am »
You can be 100% certain that your equipment falls under the EMC Directive. If not, the RE Directive comes into play.
No way around it. Exempt are only super-simple things like a resistor or a capacitor or an incendescent bulb (although I'm not sure about that one).

This might help:
https://wireless.dekra-product-safety.com/download/RED_EMC_Certification_Guide.pdf

Don't know any test houses in the UK, sorry.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 10:42:21 am »
I believe some of the emissions tests may only apply to products that have a minimum clock speed; this may be where the idea that a product becomes exempt if it doesn't contain a processor comes from. Not 'wrong' as such, but a misinterpretation or oversimplification of the truth.

Find yourself an EMC lab and ask them what they can do to help out; they're the industry experts.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 10:50:33 am »
I believe some of the emissions tests may only apply to products that have a minimum clock speed; this may be where the idea that a product becomes exempt if it doesn't contain a processor comes from. Not 'wrong' as such, but a misinterpretation or oversimplification of the truth.

As regards emissions, it's not so much about certain things being exempt, but being able to show that they will "obviously" meet the requirements without the need for testing due to their nature - this could be things like low frequencies or very low power etc.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline DitchTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 01:22:56 pm »
Ok. Thanks for your replies.

I'll have to find a test lab and speak with them but will the test labs create the technical files on my behalf?

It's one thing sending products to be tested but I will still need to create the technical file.

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 04:06:20 pm »
Ok. Thanks for your replies.

I'll have to find a test lab and speak with them but will the test labs create the technical files on my behalf?

It's one thing sending products to be tested but I will still need to create the technical file.

A test lab will do it all, if you like. It's a question of your wallet size.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 04:34:11 pm by Benta »

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 06:41:56 pm »
The technical file is an on-going process, not just a 'create and forget' part of the testing.

It contains details of how the product is made, what critical components it contains, and the standards to which they comply. Over time, it also contains details of design changes, substitutions to any critical parts, and anything else which might reasonably affect the EMC performance of the product.

For that reason if nothing else, I doubt a lab can or will create it for you. They can, however, review it and let you know if they believe it's sufficiently complete and accurate on the day when they do their assessment, and give you some advice on what changes you'll need to incorporate over time.

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2021, 08:16:15 pm »
For that reason if nothing else, I doubt a lab can or will create it for you. They can, however, review it and let you know if they believe it's sufficiently complete and accurate on the day when they do their assessment, and give you some advice on what changes you'll need to incorporate over time.

What you have to realise is, that test labs (if they're competent) are incredibly well networked, and will shop out this sub-job to a friendly engineering consultant.
It's a one-stop-shop, if you want.

Offline keef46

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 10:22:13 am »
You will pay a lot to get a CE test house to do the whole thing.... But the CE Mark Association can also offer help and advice, online courses.

https://www.cemarkingassociation.co.uk/

I started from much the same position as you... I have done a few courses, we pay them to carry some compliance testing (mostly EMC) - but now I think I have a handle on it all.

They can also supply you with Technical file checklists, Risk Assessment templates etc... these helped me a lot.

Remember its self assessment for most things, some directives - like ATEX might require you to involve a notified body. LVD, EMC are self assessment. EMC is hard to do yourself though - unless you have all the equipment needed to carry out all the tests. Nom one will ever tell you specifically "do it like this"....

In short though - your technical file should contain;
>A document describing the product, like sales literature
>Technical drawings, circuit diagrams for the main assembly and sub-assemblies (i include datasheets for components too)
>A BOM
>A document listing the CE directives and standards you have used
>A risk assessment for your product (this i think is the hardest bit to do)
>Evidence of conformity to the directives, photo's of tests, test reports and results.
>Conformity certificates for components in the product
>Details of your factory controls to ensure conformity remains during manufacturing
>Copies of labels and markings on the product that you how its used (ie power supply ratings, IP ratings etc...)
>A copy of your final declaration certificate

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf