Author Topic: Fanuc charging for user manual?  (Read 3207 times)

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
Re: Fanuc charging for user manual?
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2019, 10:25:49 pm »
Fanuc is one of the "old guard" companies that still thinks that their $100,000 CNC controls are the only ones available in the world.  You're lucky they didn't try to bill you for the PHONE CALL!  They are one of the worst in the area of keeping technical info hidden. I make some devices that connect to Fanuc encoders, and basically you have to reverse engineer everything, it is all "top secret".

Jon

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2019, 11:59:25 pm »
more like republican guard

I have been down right saddamized by not having manuals for high end equipment repair.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 12:03:16 am by coppercone2 »

Online amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2019, 01:43:18 am »
I  KNOW this isn't practical for home use, but it reminded me of Google initially trying to scan all books
in a library. (or multiple libraries).
I think they eventually decided to use cameras too, because of the faster speed and nearly no loss of quality; I've had good results with only a 6MP camera. There are various "scan-mounts" you can find which hold one or two DSLRs and automate the process. Even Aliexpress has some book cammers, although not as cheap as you'd expect.

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2019, 01:59:32 am »
HID the card reader group is not much different, you essentially need to place a forward order with them of x thousand units committed per year before they share you more than the advertising flyer for some of there stuff. said flyer for no good reason has 0 technical details, no dimensions, no power supply range, no interfaces that are supported. They give no info on the thing and want me to sign saying "Sure I'll by 5000 of these things, with penalties if I do not"

Due to this I bodged together a alternative that ended up being better than what there advertisement sheet promised, and burned me on ever using there products again.

Offline duak

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2019, 08:28:21 pm »
I agree with Jon.  Fanuc is indeed the most closed of the CNC/automation companies.  I suppose it's to protect themselves and their affiliates.  A friend has an off brand CNC mill built in 2005 with a Fanuc control that came with really sketchy operator's and electrical/mechanical maintenance manuals.  It didn't have any of the Fanuc manuals that are needed to keep something like this working.  Fanuc was no help but I was able to find the info I needed by patiently searching the 'net and just futzing about with it.

A saying pops to mind: "you can always get better, but you can't pay more"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf