Author Topic: eBay hacked, requests all users change passwords...  (Read 5375 times)

Offline Rick LawTopic starter

• Super Contributor
eBay hacked, requests all users change passwords...
« on: May 21, 2014, 08:46:00 pm »
In case you have not heard:  eBay hacked, requests all users change passwords...

http://www.cnet.com/news/ebay-hacked-requests-all-users-change-passwords/

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
Re: eBay hacked, requests all users change passwords...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 08:51:19 pm »
interesting, having to read that in the newspapers before eBay notifies us I guess.

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 09:07:20 pm »
interesting, having to read that in the newspapers before eBay notifies us I guess.

it's embarrassing to eBay and they have to make a statement which means someone has to write it, and because it's such a huge breach the verbiage has to go all the way to the top, and it'll bounce around if changes need to be made, and then when all that's done they often decide that "nah we won't say anything, it's confusing to users" or something stupid like that.

Offline staxquad

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eye Candy
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 03:31:42 am »
In case you have not heard:  eBay hacked, requests all users change passwords...

EBay Inc said that hackers raided its network three months ago, stealing some 145 million user records from a database in what is poised to go down as one of the biggest data breaches in history based on the number of accounts compromised.

eBay says that it discovered the hack about two weeks ago, and that it happened between "late February and early March".

nice of Ebay to tell us 3 months later; you'd need a time machine to effectively change the password; if the hackers haven't done anything to your account yet, it's because it just wasn't worth their time
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 06:36:43 am by staxquad »
"TEPCO Fukushima you long time"
You say Vegemite, I say Yosemite. (Ve-gem-mit-tee, Yo-zey-might)  
"For starters : you're Canadian...."

Offline TVman

• Frequent Contributor
  • Life is A bunch of people staring at computers. ;)
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 03:41:15 am »

EBay Inc said that hackers raided its network three months ago, stealing some 145 million user records from a database in what is poised to go down as one of the biggest data breaches in history based on the number of accounts compromised.

nice of Ebay to tell us 3 months later; you'd need a time machine to effectively change the password; if the hackers haven't done anything to your account yet, it's because it just wasn't worth their time

:palm: :palm: :palm:
Yeah, I play Minecraft!
But I'm on here more because I learn more. :D

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 04:54:00 am »
Thank goodness my eBay account has no money in it, and neither does my Paypal one. Must be one of the lucky ones.......

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 05:10:22 am »
Take note this is real.
They got my PayPal PW and spent US$60 and then closed my A/c.  :wtf:
We were on to them just a few hours later and my bank stopped the transaction. Did this first.
Then rang PayPal and reported the fraud, but they said they could do nothing as the A/c had been closed.  :wtf:
If that wasn't enough, there were 1500 junk emails in my inbox starting from the time the transactions were made.
Not a nice experience, like getting you house burgled.  :--

So PayPal, get your shit sorted.  :rant:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 06:24:19 am »
Having your system hacked is embarrassing enough, but when a user tries to change password, presenting this is even worse:

Quote from: Ebay
Page not available

Ebay is asking its users to reset their passwords due to the unauthorized access to our corporate information network. This may result in a delay of service due to the high traffic volume. We ask for your patience and that you return to eBay soon.

So... my password may have been compromised, but it can't actually be changed either.

Great, thanks guys. Really professional of you.

Offline staxquad

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eye Candy
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 06:30:16 am »
Having your system hacked is embarrassing enough, but when a user tries to change password, presenting this is even worse:

Quote from: Ebay
Page not available

Ebay is asking its users to reset their passwords due to the unauthorized access to our corporate information network. This may result in a delay of service due to the high traffic volume. We ask for your patience and that you return to eBay soon.

So... my password may have been compromised, but it can't actually be changed either.

Great, thanks guys. Really professional of you.

I just changed my ebay password, took quite a few tries

the paypal one was in one go
"TEPCO Fukushima you long time"
You say Vegemite, I say Yosemite. (Ve-gem-mit-tee, Yo-zey-might)  
"For starters : you're Canadian...."

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 07:14:24 am »
Changed my e bay pass word yesterday as soon as I heard about the hack on BBC radio, the news report stated that ebay would contact every user later that afternoon- still not heard from them but I have changed my pay pal password just in case as well. Apparently the breach was due to the hackers getting the log in details of a few key workers at ebay, how did they manage this, have they not heard of security.

Offline jeremy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 10:11:37 am »
Take note this is real.
They got my PayPal PW and spent US$60 and then closed my A/c.  :wtf:
We were on to them just a few hours later and my bank stopped the transaction. Did this first.
Then rang PayPal and reported the fraud, but they said they could do nothing as the A/c had been closed.  :wtf:
If that wasn't enough, there were 1500 junk emails in my inbox starting from the time the transactions were made.
Not a nice experience, like getting you house burgled.  :--

So PayPal, get your shit sorted.  :rant:

Did you have the same password for ebay as you did for paypal?

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 01:46:15 pm »
worth noting that the passwords were encrypted, of course they (ebay) will never divulge how good that encryption was but i must be pretty good because three months later ebay hasn't gone into meltdown.

that not to say the data just needs to get to people with the right skills and tools...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf