Author Topic: N? h?o , thank you for contacting Newegg.com  (Read 3954 times)

Online DimitriPTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
N? h?o , thank you for contacting Newegg.com
« on: November 07, 2016, 12:49:57 am »
https://www.techpowerup.com/226777/newegg-now-owned-by-chinese-company

I'm glad I'm almost surrounded by Fry's Electronics.

C-ya newegg
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
Re: N? h?o , thank you for contacting Newegg.com
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 01:13:28 am »
 Well that really stinks. I am within 2 day standard shipping of one of Newegg's warehouse points, so the delivery time is usually the same as Amazon Prime. And the last two computer I built, I cross shopped the components between Amazon and Newegg and with the exception of the CPU, Newegg had the lowest price. They have in the past when buying random bits and pieces, too. Only rarely do I find something cheaper at Amazon.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 07:21:54 am »
https://www.techpowerup.com/226777/newegg-now-owned-by-chinese-company

I'm glad I'm almost surrounded by Fry's Electronics.

C-ya newegg

New Egg being own by Chinese is hardly the worst.

Do you know that Chinese now owns "Miss America" pageant?   Also, the much sought after "Golden Globe" award?  Pretty soon, it will be Hollywood, China.  Major political figures including the US President used to stay at the Waldorf Astoria while in NYC.  Now it is also owned by the Chinese.

We keep going the way we are going, I think we will be renting the White House from a Chinese firm.

Now you know why the biggest market for SmartPhone is China.  As they tour the globe, they like taking pictures of what they what they own.

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 09:51:25 am »
Wasn't Newegg founded by a Taiwanese guy? China is just reclaiming what was "theirs" :scared:

Offline Srbel

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics engineer
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 10:47:26 am »
It is theirs.

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 12:57:54 pm »
I love Newegg! Hopefully they will keep operations the same, as it has a very high level of reliability in my account.

That despite the fact I am surrounded by two also excellent retail shops: Fry's and Microcenter.

New Egg being own by Chinese is hardly the worst.

Do you know that Chinese now owns "Miss America" pageant?   Also, the much sought after "Golden Globe" award?  Pretty soon, it will be Hollywood, China.  Major political figures including the US President used to stay at the Waldorf Astoria while in NYC.  Now it is also owned by the Chinese.

We keep going the way we are going, I think we will be renting the White House from a Chinese firm.

Now you know why the biggest market for SmartPhone is China.  As they tour the globe, they like taking pictures of what they what they own.
Meh. That happened in the eighties with the Japanese shopping spree in the western world, culminating with the purchase of the Rockfeller center. Life repeats itself like a sinewave.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 02:55:14 pm »
Do you know that Chinese now owns "Miss America" pageant?

Isn't that owned by D. J. Trump?

That's Miss Universe. Which he no longer owns.

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 04:52:21 pm »
Meh. That happened in the eighties with the Japanese shopping spree in the western world, culminating with the purchase of the Rockfeller center. Life repeats itself like a sinewave.

Japan increased their standard of living and moved to a more balanced trade&current account. Whether China does the same, or uses it's surplus simply to buy up foreign assets remains to be seen.

It can be dangerous to allow your economy to fall into foreign hands, just look at New Zealand. Every year a trade surplus, every year deeper in debt, with land prices going ballistic as a result. Instead of fixing it, their government just keeps putting signatures on trade agreements which bind their hands. (The types of measures necessary would inevitably advantage domestic buyers, which is an ISDS lawsuit waiting to happen).

I don't see the world's consumer of last resort being maneuvered into that position, but if China does not balance out it's trade and continues it's buying spree of rent generating assets (instead of buying into bubbles) they are going to destabilize the global economy even more (which has been in lala land since Bretton Woods ended). Eventually the current account will snowball and something will have to be done, trade agreements, WTO and ISDS be damned.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 07:55:31 pm »

Japan increased their standard of living and moved to a more balanced trade&current account. Whether China does the same, or uses it's surplus simply to buy up foreign assets remains to be seen.

It can be dangerous to allow your economy to fall into foreign hands, just look at New Zealand. Every year a trade surplus, every year deeper in debt, with land prices going ballistic as a result. Instead of fixing it, their government just keeps putting signatures on trade agreements which bind their hands. (The types of measures necessary would inevitably advantage domestic buyers, which is an ISDS lawsuit waiting to happen).

I don't see the world's consumer of last resort being maneuvered into that position, but if China does not balance out it's trade and continues it's buying spree of rent generating assets (instead of buying into bubbles) they are going to destabilize the global economy even more (which has been in lala land since Bretton Woods ended). Eventually the current account will snowball and something will have to be done, trade agreements, WTO and ISDS be damned.

I don't think it is China's responsibility not to over-convert their surplus into foreign assets.  They earn the money, so their call on where to put it and how much risk they are willing.  They are not dumb.  They know if they create an artificial bubble, part or all their investments will be lost, and that lost could even become a gain for us.

I place the responsibility on those who must borrow to continue spending, and that is us.  Lost of assets could become a lost of sovereignty as we loose controls of our important or strategic assets.

NewEgg is not really a strategic asset.  When foreign interest owns our press (as in news), I found that more strategically threatening.  I think that is why EU and Google is having a fight.  News/communication is strategic.  I don't blame the EU for not wanting a foreign firm controlling what their own citizen would see on the internet.

Online DimitriPTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 08:04:36 pm »
NewEgg is not really a strategic asset.

Maybe that's why no US money is spent on buying these "non strategic" companies.
It still feels strange.
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 08:32:29 pm »
Volvo ;)

So, I vote "Meh".

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf