Author Topic: I wonder if this is a scam  (Read 9542 times)

Offline M0BSWTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Left this site 2013, they will not delete it ????
I wonder if this is a scam
« on: October 07, 2012, 07:29:01 pm »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/In-Circuit-test-ESR-meter-100KHz-cap-tester-for-repair-work-light-weight-UK-/261107107799?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item3ccb3247d7
It's only £24.00 free postage hong kong, look at his feedback and none of his customers are selling anything, whats that ringing noise I hear.
no one would or will tell me how to delete this account

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: I wonder if this is a scam
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 07:30:48 pm »
The seller looks OK to me.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 07:34:29 pm »
I suppose with pay-pal your protected

Offline Jimmy the Squid

• Regular Contributor
  • Complete and utter newb.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 07:40:02 pm »
I guess I wasn't the only one that went looking for one of these after Dave's ESR monitor video. Until then, I was not aware that they tested in-circuit, so I hadn't thought it so handy.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 07:47:58 pm »
See I'm bit undecided really  I have  a project diagram here from Marvin  Smith, Capacitance tester ESR meter,  can't make up my mind  to either build or buy, a bit torn really because I' about half way through this large motor driven ATU for my amateur radio. but I also good do with one of these.

Offline majorkuso

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 07:50:08 pm »
speaking of ESR meters I am looking at getting one I thought about anateks blue esr meter any thoughts on it 

Offline majorkuso

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 07:55:43 pm »

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 08:02:21 pm »
If it is genuine, that is a bargain price. I would wonder about accuracy. I've figured out a way to make a cheap ESR meter with linear voltage output (the design is unlikely to be unique though) - I'm surprised that no-one has made a cheap one yet, there's a massive market.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 08:56:15 pm »
That is starting bid not buy now price.The buy now is £35-00

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESR-meter-100KHz-capacitor-tester-for-repair-work-light-weight-low-voltage-UK-/261105191649?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item3ccb150ae1#ht_2210wt_1186

I was thinking of getting the Peak Atlas unit as it looks nice and small.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Peak-Atlas-ESR-Capacitor-Passive-Component-Analyser-Tester-Meter-ESR60-/350564631969?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item519f47c5a1#ht_1520wt_952

But I notice that Uni T do one as well for not a lot more, does any one have experience of these their other meters are quite good.I like to buy once only rather than get a unit that is no good and then have to go shopping all over.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Uni-T-USB-LCR-L-C-R-DCR-Q-D-ESR-Meter-Tester-100K-Hz-20KH-20mF-200M-w-soft-/140782899206?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c7509006

Offline FenderBender

• Super Contributor
    • The Solid State Workshop
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 09:59:18 pm »
That is starting bid not buy now price.The buy now is £35-00

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESR-meter-100KHz-capacitor-tester-for-repair-work-light-weight-low-voltage-UK-/261105191649?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item3ccb150ae1#ht_2210wt_1186

I was thinking of getting the Peak Atlas unit as it looks nice and small.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Peak-Atlas-ESR-Capacitor-Passive-Component-Analyser-Tester-Meter-ESR60-/350564631969?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item519f47c5a1#ht_1520wt_952

But I notice that Uni T do one as well for not a lot more, does any one have experience of these their other meters are quite good.I like to buy once only rather than get a unit that is no good and then have to go shopping all over.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Uni-T-USB-LCR-L-C-R-DCR-Q-D-ESR-Meter-Tester-100K-Hz-20KH-20mF-200M-w-soft-/140782899206?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c7509006

The Uni-T looks good, but for most people's needs, something simple like the Blue ESR will tell you if your cap is good or bad.

Now if you need to measure ESR for something else...I don't know maybe an RF related thing or something funny like that, perhaps the Uni-T would be better?

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 06:16:09 pm »
Stash the UNI-T away, it does not have proper alligator clips.
The MS5308 at around the same price does the same things and has better quality apparently and it's been proven here on this forum.
It's SMD probe is actually very sweet!

Offline necroscope

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 09:54:38 pm »
I just bought the same one dave has in kit form, $90au but it will be fun building it.http://www.voltelectronics.com.au/esr-meter-kit.html

Offline ablacon64

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 10:13:37 pm »
0.00 to 29.99 ohm looks pretty decent to me. I guess the price is right, I have one made in Brazil and don't see why it should cost more than that. When I see ESR meters on Ebay and they are about 80 bucks, I have that "wow, that's expensive" feeling.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 02:29:13 pm »
 Well I've just bought one from Hon-Kong £32.00p UK , $52 , so I'll see how long it takes to get hear  & how much the customs charges are, depending how it goes , will depend if I buy anything else from HK, pal pal protect my money so just wait and see, I think it's about 3 weeks.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 03:18:16 pm »
Just had email from them 5-14 days, plus customs time. we will see

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 03:41:29 pm »
If you are lucky items from Hong Kong will miss customs and you will avoid duty.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 04:27:44 pm »
 Yes I was thinking just that when I type it in , I remember buying a amateur radio set direct from HK some years ago,expecting to pay duty, but never did, 6m transceiver still work just fine,and it was customs checked too.
So hoping things are still the same , I'll post when it arrives.I think it will be one of the most useful bits of kit I have , along with my multi meter, usually over looked, I've learned very quickly nothing beats measuring Volts & Amps & Resistance , before anything else.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 06:28:12 pm »
I've never had to deal with HK customs duty, don't see why you are so paranoid there

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 08:07:37 pm »
I've never had to deal with HK customs duty, don't see why you are so paranoid there
  In the UK you can have to pay  extra taxes first import duty, which i've had to pay before at 45% of the value of the goods  plus value added tax at 17.5%,  then on top of that there is handling charges of the 3 totals added together Goods ,Import duty, VAT + handling charges,so something that starts off cheap becomes expensive, say $50 can add up to $150, hence the paranoid thoughts, I have experienced this importing some equipment from  USA.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 08:09:45 pm by M0BSW »

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 09:04:02 am »
Oh, seems like it's over at UK the customs are earning big bucks!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 08:24:40 pm »
 Yes , us who live here call it rip-off Britain, they even make TV programs called Rip off Britain , it's that bad.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 09:08:20 pm »
In the UK you can have to pay  extra taxes first import duty, which i've had to pay before at 45% of the value of the goods

That depends on the goods and the country of origin. For example, a lot of  measurement equipment from most countries is taxed with 0%, i.e. nothing. You can look that up in a database called TARIC. If customs gets it wrong, and they sometimes do, you can formally contest the customs duty, and then it really helps if you point them to the correct TARIC number.

There are of course special circumstances, e.g. if customs has reason to belief something is wrong and suspects some cheating, smuggling, etc. E.g. the stupid idea to declare something as "gift" and thinking customs is so stupid to believe it. Then customs might ask for some punitive duty.

plus value added tax at 17.5%,

You would have to pay that also if you would have bought it in some shop in the country.

then on top of that there is handling charges

That is typically charged by the carrier / courier service for dealing with customs. Some carriers are exceptionally bad. E.g. I avoid UPS because of their fees.

Some distributors covers these costs, because they have special deals with some carriers. But that sometimes doesn't stop the carrier to charge you again. Then it helps to complain to the distributor, as they typically care. Complaining to the carrier is usually pointless.

The classic postal service, or what remains of it, often have the lowest handling fees. Sometimes even none at all. The disadvantage is that the classic postal service is usually the slowest and most unreliable carrier.

I have experienced this importing some equipment from  USA.

You should really have checked the paperwork to figure out why. I have imported measurement equipment from the US, and the customs duty was 0%, not 45%.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2012, 08:22:58 pm »
Well it arrived no customs charges ect delivered by royal mail , works a treat, hasmade me less scared about buying from HK, so now have a signal generator on order, didn't realise about the 0% tax on measuring equipment , went over old paper work from USA 8 years old so guess that as is now.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2012, 10:20:57 pm »
It's 0% tax on everything from Hong Kong, it's marked "toy HK$2.00" or something like that, and customs rarely checks these items...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf