Author Topic: is it dangerous to charge your phone next to you in bed?  (Read 17068 times)

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: is it dangerous to charge your phone next to you in bed?
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2016, 03:01:46 pm »
Frequencies below light can't cause direct cell mutation, has to be UV or above. The only harm they can cause are burns, if you can't feel the energy, you are 100% safe from radio waves below light. The heat you feel from a fire is IR radiation and that has a way higher energy level than any portable electronics and yet you don't get disease from it.

Yes, a large transmitter can cause serious radiation burns (Never stand in front of high power radar), but you won't get cancer from it.
This is bullsh*t.
They use focued IR for cancer threadment. This is even beneath the skin. They heat up cells just a bit higher than body temp. (I believe around 42-45 degrees C). This damages the cancer cells and will be gone if you repeat this process.
The reason why they need to bundle the heat (pretty precisly) is that healthy cells can be damaged as well, and even transform into cancer cells.
From previous experience and lectures in my study I can tell you, you will barely notice any difference. But heating cels long enough, is enough to get bad mutations (on the long run).

Next law of physics also tells us that it's all about the energy. So saying that lower frequencies can't cause any harm is incorrect. It all has to do with energy and duration.
What you're talking about is a thermal process. In theory it doesn't matter where the heat comes from. It could just as easily be ultrasound. As long as the heat is accurately targeted at the cancer cells then it doesn't matter.
I know, but it is very much in line about the kind of radiation we are talking about here.
I was responding on a post that someone was talking about only causing 'burns'. Which isn't true.
At the end it's all about cell mutation and therefore dangerous wild grow.
Any kind of repetitive tissue damage can increase the risk of cancer. I think the main point is the output power produced by a phone is too low to cause sufficient heating to damage tissue.

I find it remarkable that a lot of people are so concerned about cell phones and radiation, while on the other hand eating black burned food.
Which does have clear evidence that it highers the risks of certain types of cancer.
A while ago there was a study which linked eating red and processed meat to cancer but was very misleading. It's not the meat but how it's cooked. It's the chemicals produced when heating which are carcinogenic. Burnt toast contains carcinogens (although though whether eating it increase the cancer risk is inconclusive) and smoking dried salad leaves would increase one's risk of lung, mouth and stomach cancer, even without any tobacco in the mix.

Offline System Error Message

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2016, 04:38:28 pm »
If i remember correctly, burnt things mostly consist of carbon and sometimes other chemicals like sulphur. Consuming burnt stuff doesnt cause cancer but the carbon can reduce the amount of oxygen in the blood and the sulphur and other chemicals would be considered poisonous however what chemicals are present in something burnt is highly dependent on the composition of air, the materials of the object and the material used to heat/burn it.

So if you burn white toast, than its possible that the leftover bleach would be bad (this is why you should switch to wholemeal and less processed stuff).

As with phones, radiation ,etc, it depends on the total dosage and time. Skin absorbs most of it like with light. If the phone's emf is higher than background radiation thats where the problem arises. Radiation does definitely cause cancer but it depends on the dose rate and total cumulative dose that penetrate the skin. The main danger of the phone isnt emf, its the heat and danger of exploding (like the fake charger that killed someone in australia). Same as you can sleep with your wifi router and laptop next to you. A desktop is a large source of emf (it consumes a lot of watts for a high end gaming rig) but the desktop's case is designed as a faraday cage so it meets the emf specs. Same with any other product, if they meet the specs it is fine but some devices dont and some are just dangerous.

As with other devices like a laptop the biggest danger of a laptop in a dry area is the PSU overheating and the laptop itself getting hot (macbooks disperse heat via the casing) so if you always placed the PSU or laptop itself on your lap (especially for macbooks) than it is definitely going to heat up that area(you know what i mean). Normally laptops have the fan draw air from below and push it out at the back/side.

So the same is with the phone on your head, its bad for your brain because of the heat and long term exposure to more radiation as the heat from a phone comes from both heavy usage (common for many apps like facebook and such that love to use all the resources of your phone), charging, charging and using at the same time (people tend to leave their phones charging with wifi on so apps run) and so on.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2016, 04:49:20 pm »
If i remember correctly, burnt things mostly consist of carbon and sometimes other chemicals like sulphur. Consuming burnt stuff doesnt cause cancer but the carbon can reduce the amount of oxygen in the blood and the sulphur and other chemicals would be considered poisonous however what chemicals are present in something burnt is highly dependent on the composition of air, the materials of the object and the material used to heat/burn it.

So if you burn white toast, than its possible that the leftover bleach would be bad (this is why you should switch to wholemeal and less processed stuff).
All food mostly consists of carbon.

The problem with burnt food is incomplete combustion. What's left is not just carbon and sulphur but a mixture of various hydrocarbons: some of which are carcinogenic.

Nobody likes that burnt food smell, it’s unhealthy too – inhaling burnt food odors is like mainlining carcinogens via your lungs into your blood supply – and … embarrassing.

But a food geek would say say, “Neat. You’ve taken your meal beyond the Maillard reactions into pyrolysis.”

And their multitude of research papers says it all; those much-loved, yet poorly characterised, Maillard reaction products have been transformed into carcinogenic compounds including a range of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH), the same compounds you get in coal tar, tobacco smoke, wood smoke, and in by-products of fuel (fossil or biofuel) combustion (examples of carcinogens).

The same happens to any organic matter, including your once-meal.
http://www.downsizeme.net.au/whats-wrong-burnt-food/
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 04:57:16 pm by Hero999 »

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2016, 04:54:31 pm »
What you're talking about is a thermal process. In theory it doesn't matter where the heat comes from. It could just as easily be ultrasound. As long as the heat is accurately targeted at the cancer cells then it doesn't matter.

Ultrasonic energy is already used as part of tumour removal... http://www.vesalius.com/cfoli_frms.asp?VID=586&StartFrame=28&tnVID=587  (warning, graphic!)
Best Regards, Chris

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2016, 03:51:59 pm »
New iphone 7 has No headphone jack, it uses wireless bluetooth? EarPods,   more radio frequency radiation in your head
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline R005T3r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2016, 04:19:25 pm »
Thanks, the reason why I created this thread is because today in school my electronic teacher told this bullshit that it is dangerous to charge your phone next to you in bed because of radiation.
Professor at uni showed us 0805 resistors and told us they cannot be soldered by hand. Smallest I have soldered by hand by this moment is 01005 which is like a piece of dust.
Or when he explained how LCD works, it was full of bullshit as well.
Yeah, the important thing is to pass the exams... Agree agree with them, it would be a suicide to deal with them otherwise, since they are going to remember you easily at the exams and when that happens  :horse: ... you are going to regret it...

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2016, 05:24:31 pm »
 Ah instructor incompetence. Got to love it. Even with the entire class telling him he was wrong, I had a professor who just refused to let it go. I was giving a presentation on then relatively new CD audio. It was all constant linear velocity back then, so I mentioned that as the head moved from the inside to the outside, the rotational velocity of the disc had to slow down to maintain CLV. He stopped me there and told me I was wrong. I diagrammed it out on the board, showed the math. He STILL was saying I was wrong. Fellow students started speaking up, saying I was right. Finally I was able to continue my presentation. I didn't get a bad grade, in fact I do have to say having to dig into the technical details to prove I was right probably helped me since I can talk technical things with a group of people but to just give a canned speech - forget it, I'll hide under the lectern and rad it over the PA system, thank you very much. Wish I'd had a later CD player I got that had a portion of the disc visible while playing - it was then intuitively obvious that the disc reduced RPM.

Offline NottheDan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2016, 09:36:22 pm »
New iphone 7 has No headphone jack, it uses wireless bluetooth? EarPods,   more radio frequency radiation in your head

Or you could just use the lightning adaptor that comes with it with your wired headphones.

Online amyk

• Super Contributor

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf