Author Topic: Need to budget? (Money stuff)  (Read 11596 times)

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
Re: Need to budget? (Money stuff)
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 08:50:27 pm »
Thanks to the OP for pointing out YNAB, I've been looking for something like this and so far so good.  It will replace an old 16 bit dos application I've been using for 20+ years that won't run on my new 64 bit notebook.

n45048

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 07:33:43 am »
Thanks to the OP for pointing out YNAB, I've been looking for something like this and so far so good.  It will replace an old 16 bit dos application I've been using for 20+ years that won't run on my new 64 bit notebook.

You mean money.bas that came with MS-DOS isn't good enough anymore?  :-DD
I'm glad you found YNAB useful! Feel free to PM me if you need some assistance but the website also has a good forum with plenty of people willing to lend a hand.

(1) Budgeting is the key to being in control of your finances and staying on track.
(2) Always live below your means ("Spend more than you earn and you will go broke, spend less than you earn and you will grow rich").
(3) Never borrow money for luxury or non-essential items.

Three very relevant and absolutely fantastic points! I think I'll use those myself (with credit to Mrs. Balia of course). Perhaps some of the fuddy-duddies from the earlier posts could contribute helpful life lessons such as these rather than grumble at how 'useless' this thread is. ;-)

Thank you for your input! Some very wise words.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 07:39:21 am by n45048 »

Offline atferrari

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2014, 11:50:21 am »
Control of your personal finances should be part of your basic ability to interact with your (social) environment.

Going to uni just to learn the golden principle "spend always less than what you earn" is close to ridiculous. Much more software. I recall the first time I saw something like that (for the Timex Sinclair)  :-DD

Probably the above make sense for cultures where being a consumer with a (good  ???) profile as a credit payer is necessary. Not in that line myself. No thanks.

From someone who, the last time he got something to be paid in three or four times, was more than 35 or 40 years ago, is not rich, has not signed a cheque in his life, uses just a debit card ( what you read) and traveled around the world for more than 40++.

Around me I have vivid examples of people that more than software they would need a good pair of scissors for the so many credit cards the carry.
Agustín Tomás
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, however, there is.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2014, 06:25:44 pm »

In case you misplaced your copy:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/windows/msdos/RESKIT/SUPPDISK/MONEY.BAS
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2014, 06:14:09 pm »
Hi,

Not far off.  It is a dos application I wrote in Borland Turbo Pascal.  I'll bet I wrote it in 1989 or so!  It was pretty fancy back then, I even had it printing my checks with a bitmap signature.  But its day is past that is for sure.

I'm glad you found YNAB useful! Feel free to PM me if you need some assistance but the website also has a good forum with plenty of people willing to lend a hand.

I appreciate the offer of help, I think I have a pretty good plan for how I'm going to do everything in it.  Honestly it is just fantastic and just exactly what I was looking for, simple but effective, thanks again for posting about it.

Thanks,

Alan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf