Author Topic: QR Codes. Is there much use of them in your experience ?  (Read 4398 times)

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
Re: QR Codes. Is there much use of them in your experience ?
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2017, 06:11:04 pm »
EU and the ----------Banana Republic   :-DD
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline FreelanderTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 06:27:49 pm »
Yes, the PIN of your debit into your phone...
https://www.bancontact.com/en/bancontact-app

What is wrong with the word "app"... They are called that.
And QR code is much much more preferred than just the app name. Especially because there are what, 10 zillion apps in the appstore? So they come up with names like "X company Home smart device controller" Your phone is in your  hand. The manual is in your hand. Scanning qr takes 1 second.
Anyone who enters a real PIN into any phone application is blissfully deluded IMO. Speak to your bank and they will happily wash their hands of you and any chance of a claim against account issues. Frightening and yet not unexpected lack of security and basic account safety / common sense.
I still presume you are referring to another kind of ''pin'' - I really hope so.. however, if not, then your loss.
As for downloading some interface to see the temperature of your 'fridge' or to tell if your curtains are open or not, then there may be some benefit if one is using a mobile phone. It begs the question though as to how 'smart' these so called 'smart devices' are.
Surely the 'ACME curtain ope / close detector Mk IIIV' is smart enough - or should be - to communicate the information required to the host device AUTOMATICALLY..... :palm:

Offline noidea

• Supporter
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2017, 03:33:45 pm »
I label devices I make for a customer with a sticker containing a serial number and a QR code. The code links to a (protected) webpage that contains the history (repair/test/etc) of the device.

The products my employer makes are now starting to include QR codes on their data plates, when scanned it shows model and serial number, year of manufacturer and a link to our technical support site. I'm in after sales support and I think they are great, as it makes the collection and recording of that data for warranty purposes a lot easier and more accurate. The customer can also scan them and by looking at the manufacturing year get a rough indication of how old their product is and if it's still in warranty or not as in most cases products are imported and sold within the year of manufacture.

So yes they do have their uses.

The following users thanked this post: Neganur

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2017, 03:54:16 pm »
Yes, the PIN of your debit into your phone...
https://www.bancontact.com/en/bancontact-app

What is wrong with the word "app"... They are called that.
And QR code is much much more preferred than just the app name. Especially because there are what, 10 zillion apps in the appstore? So they come up with names like "X company Home smart device controller" Your phone is in your  hand. The manual is in your hand. Scanning qr takes 1 second.
Anyone who enters a real PIN into any phone application is blissfully deluded IMO. Speak to your bank and they will happily wash their hands of you and any chance of a claim against account issues. Frightening and yet not unexpected lack of security and basic account safety / common sense.
I still presume you are referring to another kind of ''pin'' - I really hope so.. however, if not, then your loss.
As for downloading some interface to see the temperature of your 'fridge' or to tell if your curtains are open or not, then there may be some benefit if one is using a mobile phone. It begs the question though as to how 'smart' these so called 'smart devices' are.
Surely the 'ACME curtain ope / close detector Mk IIIV' is smart enough - or should be - to communicate the information required to the host device AUTOMATICALLY..... :palm:
Yeah, I guess you are faxing  cheques with pigeon mail to the bank teller to move your silver coins.

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2017, 04:05:47 pm »
Finland has a similar app with which you can send bank transfers to another phone. Recipients can either be entered by using their phone number or scanning an QR code. Very handy for example when you want to buy a candy bar or w/e and don’t have your purse with you.

I can also pay my lunch at Uni with it, or pay pizza online etc. it’s called ‘MobilePay’.

Some German banks have something called ‘Kwitt’.

It’s supposed to be an alternative to PayPal etc

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf