Author Topic: Slidewire Kickstarter  (Read 6061 times)

Offline mgscheueTopic starter

Slidewire Kickstarter
« on: August 14, 2019, 02:21:37 pm »

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
Re: Slidewire Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 03:14:25 pm »
2 reels of cable inside the sliding part, is about the only way.
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 03:19:00 pm »
Does it maybe use induction in some way?

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 03:21:57 pm »
I thought that might be the case, too, but would that work at the implied power levels? It lists guitar amps, studio strobes, and small appliances as suggested uses.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 03:24:29 pm »
Yep, but there is no space for that. So this is scam.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 03:29:12 pm »
Looking closely at the video it does look like one wire passing through the device as the same bump in the cord going in comes out in the same place on the other end. We don't know whether that's a working model though.

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 03:31:40 pm »
The video looks rather scammy to me, too. It never really shows the outlet being slid and something plugged in: you see the plug going in and the lights coming on, etc. (It looks like a very expensive, well-made video considering he's just looking for $15,000, too.)

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 03:32:40 pm »
Looking closely at the video it does look like one wire passing through the device as the same bump in the cord going in comes out in the same place on the other end. We don't know whether that's a working model though.
It's just a piece of plastic placed on the wire. The only way it could work in such size is piercing insulation by sharp needles. But there is no way it would pass any safety regulations. OK, maybe in Brazil, they have their death showers.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 03:34:20 pm by wraper »

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 03:32:56 pm »

Ah, interesting. I'll look again.

Offline LeoTech

• Regular Contributor
  • High School student with a passion for electronics
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 03:33:38 pm »
Based on how fast they appear to be able to move the thing along the line, I would say induction and not actual a physical reel of wire. But is induction really possible?

On another note, is it just me? Or where is the advantage in using this over a normal extension cord?
By using SLIDEWIRE you will have useless wires laying all over the floor and table, they will get tangled up, are annoying to look at, and you will stumble over them, what is the point?

Wouldn't a 'classic' extension cable do the same job?

Leo
High School student with a passion and interest in electronics, both analog and digital!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 03:34:57 pm »
It's just a piece of plastic placed on the wire. The only way it could work in such size is piercing insulation by sharp needles. But there is no way it would pass any safety regulations.
"I don't know how this works so it doesn't" is a dangerous line of reasoning. It's okay to be skeptical but be careful not to express doubts as hard facts. Safety regulations will be interesting whether it's spools, induction or piercing.

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 03:35:17 pm »
It's just a piece of plastic placed on the wire. The only way it could work in such size is piercing insulation by sharp needles. But there is no way it would pass any safety regulations.

Stuffing it under a couch cushion, like they show, definitely does not seem like a good idea... .

Offline onesixright

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 03:36:21 pm »
Another useless product. I mean I never and I mean never ever thought 'wow' I need to move the socket  :palm:

A solution to a problem that does not exists (imo). Never the less, interesting how it works.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2019, 03:38:33 pm »
Another useless product. I mean I never and I mean never ever thought 'wow' I need to move the socket  :palm:

A solution to a problem that does not exists (imo). Never the less, interesting how it works.
A large proportion of the popular products on the market seem useless to me.

Offline onesixright

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2019, 03:40:39 pm »

A large proportion of the popular products on the market seem useless to me.

Yeah, that is a business model itself  |O

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2019, 03:42:31 pm »
"I don't know how this works so it doesn't" is a dangerous line of reasoning. It's okay to be skeptical but be careful not to express doubts as hard facts. Safety regulations will be interesting whether it's spools, induction or piercing.
Are you advocating for all those nano graphene particle pixie dust scams which work on unknown principle? There is enough space to simply pass a wire, no space for spool or anything. Induction is simply not possible if you think 3 seconds about it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 03:46:18 pm by wraper »

Offline JamesAllen

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2019, 04:05:33 pm »
$50/£41 is too much for something that already exists. If I need an extension board, I go to any DIY store and pay £10 for one.

This smells to much like bull to be able to be a viable product.

Sorry

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2019, 04:27:09 pm »
Yep, but there is no space for that. So this is scam.

Slider Pod Size: 140mm x 48mm

They seem to have left a dimension off the specs.

They're creating a Carbon fiber version, if only they thought of using nano fibers and graphene.
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2019, 05:07:37 pm »
Are you advocating for all those nano graphene particle pixie dust scams which work on unknown principle? There is enough space to simply pass a wire, no space for spool or anything. Induction is simply not possible if you think 3 seconds about it.
This isn't a "nano graphene particle" product. It's an extension cord. You're extrapolating way too much from way too little. we're also definitely not as brilliant as we think we are so we may be overlooking an obvious solution. Let's see what ends up being shipped.
Obvious solution such as insulation gets opened within the box and closed back once it leaves the box? The only thing other than accessing conductors within insulation is placing a lot of wire inside the box for which there is no space. Wireless power transfer within the box is simply nonsense.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2019, 05:09:53 pm »
Note they did not even bother showing anything powered from that. Not that it's hard to fake though.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2019, 05:15:58 pm »
Obvious solution such as insulation gets opened within the box and closed back once it leaves the box? The only thing other than accessing conductors within insulation is placing a lot of wire inside the box for which there is no space. Wireless power transfer within the box is simply nonsense.
It seems you did some research and calculations. Please share them with us.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2019, 05:17:24 pm »
It seems you did some research and calculations. Please share them with us.
What calculations? How much power you can salvage from insulated wire? For such wire even current transformer would not work, even if there was current flowing through the wire (in both directions nullifying already tiny effect). Not to say how do you get earth connection from that, also by induction?
BTW WTF is that USB 3.0 claim? There is only charging to begin with.

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2019, 06:04:00 pm »
Yeah, it has to be a vampire tap (insulation-piercing).  Probably using needle spikes, which won't cause much visible damage to the woven cover on the wire.  I don't see how the resulting holes in the actual wire insulation will comply with any safety standards, at least not after the unit is re-positioned.

And there's no way that a single-turn transformer will couple usable power at 60Hz, even if the transformer core is the full length of the case.  No calculations needed, I just know it from experience.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2019, 06:11:39 pm »
What calculations? How much power you can salvage from insulated wire? For such wire even current transformer would not work, even if there was current flowing through the wire (in both directions nullifying already tiny effect). Not to say how do you get earth connection from that, also by induction?
BTW WTF is that USB 3.0 claim? There is only charging to begin with.
What calculations? You mean to tell us your speculations presented as facts were pulled out of your ass? What a surprise.  ;D

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2019, 06:14:39 pm »
Yeah, it has to be a vampire tap (insulation-piercing).  Probably using needle spikes, which won't cause much visible damage to the woven cover on the wire.  I don't see how the resulting holes in the actual wire insulation will comply with any safety standards, at least not after the unit is re-positioned.

And there's no way that a single-turn transformer will couple usable power at 60Hz, even if the transformer core is the full length of the case.  No calculations needed, I just know it from experience.
It doesn't have to be 60 Hz though. They could convert what goes into the cable first. Maybe it's not a straight copper wire. Note that I'm not claiming it's actually induction. I'm just saying we have very little hard information and prototypes or even mock-upsaren't exactly a good indication. We can come up with hundreds of ways they haven't done it, but we don't know how they have done it or have done it at all.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 06:18:47 pm by Mr. Scram »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf