Author Topic: Stratasys acquires Makerbot for $405M  (Read 8775 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Stratasys acquires Makerbot for $405M
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2013, 06:56:28 am »
Apparently Makerbot wasn't worth real money and or debt.

But it wasn't free.
You can't just create new stock out of thin air and not have it impact your company financially.

I wonder if there was an agreement to not sell the ssys stock for a number of years.

Unless they are absolute fools, yes.
Otherwise everyone with any sense at all would sell every share they get at Stratasys's current sky-high PE ratio, including Bre.
It's almost all downside risk. Very little upside potential on these shares at this PE ratio.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2013, 08:58:20 am »
BTW - I'm not surprised at all the "haters" of makerbot.  There is a definite feeling of "Oh, I could have done that!" from them.  Well, but ya didn't.  Did ya?!?!  ;)

umm they DID - they contributed to thingiverse, then Makerbot tried to play with EULA and somehow take possession of all the models uploaded.

This takeover has nothing to do with technology, and all to do with public perception, brand name and market penetration.
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2013, 12:25:12 pm »
I'm not surprised at all the "haters" of makerbot.  There is a definite feeling of "Oh, I could have done that!" from them.  Well, but ya didn't.  Did ya?!?!  ;)

Yo dude.  "Them" being the haters.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 06:15:04 pm by george graves »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2013, 12:57:12 pm »
Mostly the hippies want everything for free and they think open source means everything should be free. In reality companies make the biggest contributors to open source projects. Not because they want to give stuff away but because it is cheaper to develop the common parts together. The GPL license levels the playing field and everyone can join in.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf