Author Topic: Turns out my roommate is rather allergic to rosin vapor... alternatives?  (Read 8793 times)

Offline jaqieTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Genuine Girl Techie
Just had to take my roommate to urgent care last night (if they were not open we would have had to go to the emergency room) fever of 103, coughing, and serious other allergic reaction symptoms.  Started literally 10 seconds after I began soldering some big power leads on a PC power supply with my 140w nichrome gun.  One of the docs on shift actually has tech knowledge and knew immediately what I was talking about when I told them what was going on when my roomie's symptoms started.

What are my alternatives for flux which has *ZERO* rosin in it, and are they expensive?  All I've ever used is 60/40 rosin core and I am not finding anything definitive online when i search, for an inexpensive alternative that for sure has no rosin in it and is available in everything I use which includes solder  cores, in pens, et cetra.

Offline Raff

• Regular Contributor
Re: Turns out my roommate is rather allergic to rosin vapor... alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 01:52:07 am »
I believe that there are different rosins available in various brands of solder. I bought some synthetic rosin cored solder to try a while back for example. Perhaps carefully try an alternate brand of solder?

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 01:57:34 am »
You may have to switch to a no-clean / water soluble solder.
EDIT: it seems some of those still contain rosin

Or maybe just make a proper fan extraction system for your soldering bench (depending on how allergic they are)

http://www.nj.gov/health/surv/documents/wrarosin.pdf
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 02:10:05 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 02:25:10 am »
You may have to switch to a no-clean / water soluble solder.

I think this is a slightly confusing sentence. As I understand it, no-clean flux and water soluble flux are opposites. No-clean flux can be left without cleaning, whereas water soluble flux must be cleaned. If you don't clean off water soluble flux after soldering the residues are corrosive and will damage things in short order.

However, I believe there are non-rosin based no-clean fluxes, and so it might be worth giving one of these a try. It's odd though, because rosin is from the same source as the pine scent used in scented candles--is it really the actual cause?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 02:51:21 am by IanB »

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 02:46:05 am »
Could you solder outdoors?
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline smackaay

• Regular Contributor
    • Steve's Junk
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 03:56:26 am »
I have a serious doubt that your roomie is allergic to rosin. considering how you described it, seems like something different entirely. My first thought was to suggest you try it again and see if the same reaction occurs, but I then realized that it's probably unethical to do so. :)
Come see my boring site - http://smackaay.com/

Offline cwalex

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 04:02:43 am »
Just had to take my roommate to urgent care last night (if they were not open we would have had to go to the emergency room) fever of 103, coughing, and serious other allergic reaction symptoms.  Started literally 10 seconds after I began soldering some big power leads on a PC power supply with my 140w nichrome gun.  One of the docs on shift actually has tech knowledge and knew immediately what I was talking about when I told them what was going on when my roomie's symptoms started.

What are my alternatives for flux which has *ZERO* rosin in it, and are they expensive?  All I've ever used is 60/40 rosin core and I am not finding anything definitive online when i search, for an inexpensive alternative that for sure has no rosin in it and is available in everything I use which includes solder  cores, in pens, et cetra.

If he has an allergy that serious he should see a doc and get a prick test (don't know the exact name of the test) to accurately determine the allergy.

• Regular Contributor
  • Genuine Girl Techie
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 04:18:48 am »
If he has an allergy that serious he should see a doc and get a prick test (don't know the exact name of the test) to accurately determine the allergy.
She. You also cannot do a prick test for rosin vapor, but we have scheduled an inhalation test for her.

Offline cwalex

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 04:30:29 am »
She. You also cannot do a prick test for rosin vapor, but we have scheduled an inhalation test for her.

:palm: :-[ sorry for the mistake! Hope she gets a satisfactory result!

edit: I just took a prick test, turns out I tested positive  ;)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 04:32:06 am by cwalex »

• Regular Contributor
  • Genuine Girl Techie
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 04:36:46 am »
by what the medical people here said, a prick test for this allergy is non conclusive and unreliable.

Offline smashedProton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 04:37:39 am »
I have had a prick test before.  They are fun!  My entire back was an array of little circles with pricks in them.  I got a kick out of showing my friends when I returned to school.  I was in 3rd grade at the time.  My buddies thought that I got abducted by aliens  :-DD
http://www.garrettbaldwin.com/

Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

• Regular Contributor
  • Genuine Girl Techie
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 04:40:47 am »
That's nuts. (pun intended!)

So does anyone know of any soldering products that are definitely rosin free?

Offline smashedProton

• Frequent Contributor

Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

• Regular Contributor
  • Genuine Girl Techie
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 05:03:36 am »
SOLDER, PB FREE MIN-ACT 0.7MM 500G; Material Composition:Lead Free, 99.3% Tin, 0.7% Copper Alloy; Melting Temperature:227°C; Weight:0.5kg; Wire Diameter:0.7mm; Bit Temperature:350°C; Flux Type:502, Rosin based

You were saying?  :palm:

Offline smashedProton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 05:07:50 am »
 :-[  Sorry for wasting your time

• Regular Contributor
  • Genuine Girl Techie
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 05:08:50 am »
not a problem, just Ive googled for quite a while before I even made this thread... if it were that easy to find I would have not posted the thread here. :)

Offline smashedProton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 05:14:56 am »
you can try getting a rosin block (the kind for string instruments)  and rub it all over her face while she is sleeping  :-+

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 05:18:23 am »
Interesting that they have a whole category labelled "Rosin Free Solder" and somehow it manages to be entirely populated with solder containing rosin.  :palm:
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 05:26:25 am »
So does anyone know of any soldering products that are definitely rosin free?
[...]
I was confused about the rosin and the resin based fluxes. After looking that up, it seems that the only difference between them is that rosin fluxes are based on the natural pine tree rosin and the resin ones are based on synthetic or modified rosins...
[...]
But this raises a new question, of course: Is a rosin-free flux product healthier that a rosin-based one? Both of them will produce highly deoxidising agents when heated up to their operating temperature point (the "soaking phase" at approx. 150°C), in order to assist soldering; and the fumes, both of them will produce and release, is not considered to be a harmless byproduct of the whole procedure...

Having just visited Wikipedia's page on the fluxes, I saw that "The fumes liberated during soldering may have adverse health effects, and volatile organic compounds (organic chemicals) can be outgassed during processing." There is also a link to a U.K. Health and Safety Executive paper, called Controlling health risks from rosin (colophony) based solder fluxes.

Personally, since my very early age, I have always instinctively been trying to avoid respiration of anything other that fresh air, no matter how nice or not it might be smelling! :)

-George
Hi! This is George; and I am three and a half years old!
(This was one of my latest realisations, now in my early fifties!...)

Offline cwalex

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 05:26:47 am »

:palm: :-[ sorry for the mistake! Hope she gets a satisfactory result!

edit: I just took a prick test, turns out I tested positive  ;)

sorry, I was trying to be funny. Saying that I was tested positive to being a prick.

I did have a prick test, tested positive to dust mite and mould. Nothing related to soldering.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 06:52:32 am »
Some solder fluxes are worse than others.
I have allergies to various inhaled stuff,but the effects of the solder flux I've used is fairly minimal.

I would strongly suggest getting your roomie a Ventolin Inhaler.
She may have unknown allergies to other stuff,so it may be very good to have in an emergency.

• Regular Contributor
  • Genuine Girl Techie
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 06:58:33 am »
We can't afford one at the moment - the doc actually prescribed her an inhaler, but without medical insurance, it costs over $50. Right now is a very tight financial time for us, I have posted about it in my first thread I created about an inverter here, I will not repeat that as it got ugly quick.

I already have some drier exhaust hose, and I am going to rig up a 120mm fan or a small blower to the thing for when I need to solder - I just have to find a way to exhaust it outside effectively without causing a huge temperature drop in our room (dorm room like living, bedroom for now, next month or soon very likely a studio apartment).

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 07:05:05 am »
Gee,that's expensive--We have generic brands in Australia by law,so an Asmol is even cheaper than a Ventolin.,which,if I remember correctly is around $A30.
Make it a priority though,----In the meantime,just keep an eye on her! ;D

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 09:58:36 am »
Venteze here is about $4 retail for one. Nebuliser is under $30, with the ampoules around $30 for a pack of 60. You should try using a piece of cardboard to fill in the window and cut a hole to feed the tubing out then, and use duct tape to hold it in place when needed. Place the extractor fan on the cardboard with screws, use a piece of PC case that has the fan holder and the plastic funnel inside to attach the tubing. Free from a PC shop in many cases as parts from old cases. Use a second with the filter inside by the desk to hold the other end of the tube, and tape it to a small mass ( 2 tiles taped together will do) to hold it in position.

• Regular Contributor
  • Genuine Girl Techie
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2013, 10:03:05 am »
I have no idea what kind of inhaler medicine the doctor prescribed for her, just that it was $54 at the walmart prescription counter. for the offbrand if there was one. :-//

As for the vent discussion - this is something I am extremely good at - thanks for the advice but that part I most definitely have under control.  8)  I was just thinking in type.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 10:08:35 am by jaqie »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf