Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2754729 times)

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #4675 on: November 26, 2017, 12:22:34 am »
On the way is an Aneng AN8009 to go with my AN8008, the -9 being a back up in case I leave the -8 behind on a service call and someone keeps it.  I also bought a Canon 75-300mm F4-5.6 telephoto lens and a new camera bag for SWMBO's EOS Rebel T3 for Christmas.  I gave her 3 suggestions for Christmas and  birthday, a Yamaha headset/boom mic for ham radio use, a Quick 957DW and a Brother 1200 x 1200 dpi laser printer.  I am hoping for the Quick and the printer.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #4676 on: November 26, 2017, 03:32:33 am »
Bought a pair of 34401A mainboards for "parts". They are missing the front/rear switches. Not sure why I bought them but at 25 dollars each I figured they could be useful down the road.
The two 1000V relays are already worth more.
Definitely worth the price for the parts.
Every once in a while a broken 34401A shows up on the market and it is good to have donor parts around.

Yeah, those should come in handy for a quick repair. Looks like the right one might be of the newer generation than the left.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4677 on: November 26, 2017, 03:36:45 pm »
...[snip]... a Quick 957DW...[snip]....
You should have asked for the Quick 861DW instead.  :o  >:D

The primary reason is the 861DW has a 1kW output vs. 580W for the 957. Makes a big difference getting things soldered/desoldered without cooking the board IME (lower dwell time). It also uses a cartridge type of heating element + nicer nozzles IMHO (NK series). There's a lot more precision to the handle portion of the 861.

At least they've upgraded the 957 with a brushless DC motor. The Quick Review: Quick 957 Analog Rework Station thread and the 861DW review by Louis Rossman (there's still photos in the forum as well).

Downside of course, is the 861 more expensive (Louis Rossman's selling it for $271, and Production Automation Corp/Prime Distributing are offering it for $275). Not sure on shipping, but it'll likely be close.

As I'm sure you recall, I do have one of these. So if you've any specific questions, just ask.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 03:38:25 pm by nanofrog »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #4678 on: November 26, 2017, 07:32:40 pm »
...[snip]... a Quick 957DW...[snip]....
You should have asked for the Quick 861DW instead.  :o  >:D

The primary reason is the 861DW has a 1kW output vs. 580W for the 957. Makes a big difference getting things soldered/desoldered without cooking the board IME (lower dwell time). It also uses a cartridge type of heating element + nicer nozzles IMHO (NK series). There's a lot more precision to the handle portion of the 861.

At least they've upgraded the 957 with a brushless DC motor. The Quick Review: Quick 957 Analog Rework Station thread and the 861DW review by Louis Rossman (there's still photos in the forum as well).

Downside of course, is the 861 more expensive (Louis Rossman's selling it for $271, and Production Automation Corp/Prime Distributing are offering it for $275). Not sure on shipping, but it'll likely be close.

As I'm sure you recall, I do have one of these. So if you've any specific questions, just ask.  ;D

Unfortunately, I come last on the Christmas list.  The 4 grandkids come first, the 3 children and their spouses 2nd and I come 3rd.  At least I rank above the dogs  ^-^.  They just get stocking stuffers.  With cash flow being limited for the list, I am trying not to push things too far.  Besides, I am sure that the 957 is way better than the Yihua 858D that I currently have.  The 957 is $81.99 without tips at Newark/Element 14 and I have tips that I bought for the 858D that should fit.  She actually mentioned the printer herself, that's an upgrade that both of us will use and be a tax write off as a business expense for her.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4679 on: November 26, 2017, 08:36:47 pm »
Unfortunately, I come last on the Christmas list.  The 4 grandkids come first, the 3 children and their spouses 2nd and I come 3rd.  At least I rank above the dogs  ^-^.  They just get stocking stuffers.  With cash flow being limited for the list, I am trying not to push things too far.  Besides, I am sure that the 957 is way better than the Yihua 858D that I currently have.  The 957 is $81.99 without tips at Newark/Element 14 and I have tips that I bought for the 858D that should fit.  She actually mentioned the printer herself, that's an upgrade that both of us will use and be a tax write off as a business expense for her.
Understandable.

FWIW, I usually ask for cash and add what's needed to get the item I'm after (my family's clueless in regard to anything T&M related). The only electronics they're interested in are HDTV's and gaming consoles.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #4680 on: November 26, 2017, 08:56:58 pm »
FWIW, I usually ask for cash and add what's needed to get the item I'm after (my family's clueless in regard to anything T&M related). The only electronics they're interested in are HDTV's and gaming consoles.

I have tried the cash route in the past but she doesn't like it, she says too impersonal.  She gives the kids cash, she won't do it with me.  I simply put bookmarks for what I want on her computer.  She has given me many funny looks and a couple of 'really?'s but I get what I ask for.  She doesn't understand either but that's OK.

Offline shteii01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4681 on: November 26, 2017, 09:19:52 pm »
Just arrived from England.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4682 on: November 26, 2017, 10:03:38 pm »
Cheap-ass air compressor. Wanted a light, small footprint compressor for my lab. Tired of hauling my 6 gallon pancake compressor from my garage shop. $40 at Harbor Freight.   We'll see how it holds up...

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4683 on: November 26, 2017, 11:16:38 pm »
Cheap-ass air compressor. Wanted a light, small footprint compressor for my lab. Tired of hauling my 6 gallon pancake compressor from my garage shop. $40 at Harbor Freight.   We'll see how it holds up...
Great price for occasional use, but what about the noise level?

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #4684 on: November 27, 2017, 12:24:45 am »
Great price for occasional use, but what about the noise level?

Looks like an oilless direct drive diaphragm compressor, so likely around carrier-flight-deck-during-launch noise levels if previous experience with the breed is any indication.  Still, pressluft is handy and if it's only fired up occasionally it should be tolerable.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4685 on: November 27, 2017, 01:03:03 am »
Yeah, it's loud.  It's also slow - only 1/3 HP - draws about 175 watts.     I think I'll keep it pressured up and see how often it needs to cycle to keep the tank full - would not want to have to wait for it to fill and listen to the loud whine when I need air.   One advantage of the low power is that I can run it off a cheap 12V inverter for car use. 

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #4686 on: November 27, 2017, 02:21:44 am »
I ordered some pilot's operating handbooks for a few of my things.  Have one coming for the Fluke 8400A, the NLS meter I recently got, the Honeywell 620 from a year or two ago and a Triplett 8035 that's been in the queue for probably two years now (it's a little three digit meter with 7 segment VFD tubes).

-Pat

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #4687 on: November 27, 2017, 02:33:38 am »
Yeah, it's loud.  It's also slow - only 1/3 HP - draws about 175 watts.    I think I'll keep it pressured up and see how often it needs to cycle to keep the tank full - would not want to have to wait for it to fill and listen to the loud whine when I need air.   One advantage of the low power is that I can run it off a cheap 12V inverter for car use.

That'll last till the first time it needs to refill at three in the morning! :-DD 

I have a Makita MAC700 (an oil type reciprocating compressor); it's really quiet for a compressor.  I was using it to run a small flooring nailer for some work I'm doing on the house, and forgot to shut it off once.  It came to life in the dead quiet of the night about a day later when I was sound asleep,  :o  and I nearly levitated into the ceiling when it did so.  Making sure that it's turned off is now part of the done-with-work checklist.

Just something to keep in mind...   :D

-Pat

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #4688 on: November 27, 2017, 02:58:50 am »
Yeah, it's loud.  It's also slow - only 1/3 HP - draws about 175 watts.    I think I'll keep it pressured up and see how often it needs to cycle to keep the tank full - would not want to have to wait for it to fill and listen to the loud whine when I need air.   One advantage of the low power is that I can run it off a cheap 12V inverter for car use.

That'll last till the first time it needs to refill at three in the morning! :-DD 

I have a Makita MAC700 (an oil type reciprocating compressor); it's really quiet for a compressor.  I was using it to run a small flooring nailer for some work I'm doing on the house, and forgot to shut it off once.  It came to life in the dead quiet of the night about a day later when I was sound asleep,  :o  and I nearly levitated into the ceiling when it did so.  Making sure that it's turned off is now part of the done-with-work checklist.

Just something to keep in mind...   :D

-Pat

Glad to see I'm not the only one to do something like that.  I left my HF compressor on in the garage, which is the opposite wall of the master bath/closet.  Same thing, went off in the middle of the night.  Boy, was SWMBO hacked.  Once was enough, I double check now.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #4689 on: November 27, 2017, 03:23:25 am »
Glad to see I'm not the only one to do something like that.  I left my HF compressor on in the garage, which is the opposite wall of the master bath/closet.  Same thing, went off in the middle of the night. Boy, was SWMBO hacked.  Once was enough, I double check now.

:-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

I can well imagine you half asleep and being beaten on!  Definitely a rude awakening!

-Pat

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #4690 on: November 27, 2017, 06:39:48 am »

My personal favorite for small, very quiet, cheap, compressed air.....just purchased 3 of these. $135 each. Now I have a total of 4 of them. The first one has quite a few running hours and still going strong all day, every day. Literally, 7 days/week cycling around 20-30 times per day for around 3 years. Not bad for $135 and being quiet all along.

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #4691 on: November 27, 2017, 06:57:12 am »
Still, pressluft is handy and if it's only fired up occasionally it should be tolerable.

Oh, nice.  Didn't know, that the german word "Pressluft" made it into the (american) english language.  :-+
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #4692 on: November 27, 2017, 07:38:53 am »
My personal favorite for small, very quiet, cheap, compressed air.....just purchased 3 of these. $135 each.

Hmmm.... I wonder why ........... ?   ::)

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #4693 on: November 27, 2017, 07:58:50 am »
Still, pressluft is handy and if it's only fired up occasionally it should be tolerable.

Oh, nice.  Didn't know, that the german word "Pressluft" made it into the (american) english language.  :-+

I can't say that it really has, I just picked it up years ago.  In the early/mid 90s I worked for a company that was based in Liechtenstein (Bal-Tec, spun off from Balzers), and between manuals printed in German, English and French and the fact that we usually got manuals for new instruments in German months before we got anything in English (there's a funny story with one of those and an early translation program, but that's a tale for another time...), I learned to puzzle some bits and pieces of German out.  That's one of several that have stayed with me.

-Pat

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #4694 on: November 27, 2017, 08:24:01 am »
I found these Knipex precision wire strippers for around half the usual going rate on eBay, ordered one (smaller 12 12 02 model) because I was getting frustrated at manually stripping PTFE wire since the normal $20 jobbies from Jaycar/Bunnings wasn't cutting it....literally.  :P

No affiliation with the seller. Don't forget to use code "P5OZZIE" for 5% off eBay Australia, hope this helps a fellow Aussie out there.

eBay auction: #263328629991

Anyone have any experience with these models? The replacement blades look pretty expensive, maybe I should buy another spare set from this seller...

Thank you for sharing this information, I got mine today, together with a free multi-purpose tool (what do you guys call it in English?)

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4695 on: November 27, 2017, 08:26:48 am »
I found these Knipex precision wire strippers for around half the usual going rate on eBay, ordered one (smaller 12 12 02 model) because I was getting frustrated at manually stripping PTFE wire since the normal $20 jobbies from Jaycar/Bunnings wasn't cutting it....literally.  :P

No affiliation with the seller. Don't forget to use code "P5OZZIE" for 5% off eBay Australia, hope this helps a fellow Aussie out there.

eBay auction: #263328629991

Anyone have any experience with these models? The replacement blades look pretty expensive, maybe I should buy another spare set from this seller...

Thank you for sharing this information, I got mine today, together with a free multi-purpose tool (what do you guys call it in English?)

The English for that is "Useless piece of junk" :D
Well actually it's a credit card sized multi-tool, but the first phrase describes it adequately.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: gamalot

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #4696 on: November 27, 2017, 08:27:38 am »
My personal favorite for small, very quiet, cheap, compressed air.....just purchased 3 of these. $135 each. Now I have a total of 4 of them. The first one has quite a few running hours and still going strong all day, every day. Literally, 7 days/week cycling around 20-30 times per day for around 3 years. Not bad for $135 and being quiet all along.

Ah, I see they're on sale. How well do they hold up being oil-free?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4697 on: November 27, 2017, 09:24:52 pm »
I had to buy one of these today because our old one decided to break today, not what I was hoping to buy, rather thought I might have found a decent bench or handheld DMM in the black friday sales but nothing doing, oh well..  ;)
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #4698 on: November 27, 2017, 10:56:09 pm »
Glad to see I'm not the only one to do something like that.  I left my HF compressor on in the garage, which is the opposite wall of the master bath/closet.  Same thing, went off in the middle of the night. Boy, was SWMBO hacked.  Once was enough, I double check now.

:-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

I can well imagine you half asleep and being beaten on!  Definitely a rude awakening!

-Pat

By the time she was done, this was me  :horse: :horse: :horse: :-DD

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4699 on: November 28, 2017, 04:28:46 am »

Yeah - fortunately my lab is in a basement utility room that is pretty well sound isolated from the rest of the house. With the compressor running you can only hear it in the unoccupied room directly above it  - and even there it is not too noticeable.

rx8pilot - those California Air Tool compressors look nice.  If it turns out the cheap Harbor Freight compressor is needing to run too much while I'm in the lab - I may relegate it to bicycles and occasional car tire use in our second garage and pick of one of those California Air Tool compressors.  At 1 hp - it must fill that 2 gal tank quickly!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf