Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2753993 times)

SiliconWizard and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #6650 on: June 21, 2018, 05:11:22 am »
Damn... you should have put "Warranty void if removed" on it...  :-DD
:) nah, Siglent do their own on each product and I haven't been able to remove one without nuking it....yet.

I did see these double layer ones than do a have a void under layer:
https://qyprinting.aliexpress.com/store/1836237?spm=2114.12010108.0.0.5f0781fbCbsrja
In their Security Packing Tapes listings.

And NO I didn't buy from these guys ^
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Haatveit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6651 on: June 21, 2018, 12:15:39 pm »
Killing some noise in my equipment. While Noctua fans are overpriced and always have had a ... unique ... color scheme.. They sure do run quiet and move a lot of air while doing so.

Post-op report:

Well, the new 80mm fan perfectly in my HP 54600B. It moves more air, while being so quiet I literally can't hear it. With the original fan, the HP was one of the loudest things in my room...

But not THE loudest. That prize goes to my Tektronix PS280 power supply. This thing sounds like a 747. It uses a 60x60x20mm fan. I replaced it with a 60x60x25mm fan, and it does fit, if you remove the mounting bracket, and flip it around, giving you exactly 5mm more room, which is needed since the original fan sits flush against the outside case.

Also needed to trim down the bracket mounting screws... No problem there.

Old fan was hard-wired into the PCB. So I cut the original wires at the fan, tinned, attached a 2 wide header, tidied it up, and bam, pluggable fan header. New Noctua fan fit great.

Upgrade successful! I can now hear myself think with all these instruments turned on...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 01:52:18 pm by Haatveit »

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6652 on: June 21, 2018, 03:49:48 pm »
The Noctua fans are well worth the money, I have been using them in racks and pc's for years - There industrial series are built like a brick out house aka thunder box or brick dunny to you upside down folks
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 03:52:29 pm by bob225 »

Offline cheeseit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6653 on: June 21, 2018, 06:01:05 pm »
Finally - after all those years - a drill stand. Oh, and a GQ-4x4.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #6654 on: June 21, 2018, 06:32:34 pm »
Got a Teenage Engineering PO-28 robot Pocket Operator synthesizer. I created a new topic for it, with a teardown photo of all the parts, which under the display:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/teenage-engineering-po-28-robot-pocket-operator/

And it sounds very cool (not my video)

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 11:41:48 pm by FrankBuss »
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6655 on: June 22, 2018, 07:27:35 am »

Proxxon makes good stuff. I have the TBM115 drill and MF70 mill. I bought them in 2004. They were expensive even back then, but I have never regretted the purchase.

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6656 on: June 22, 2018, 11:50:06 am »

Proxxon makes good stuff. I have the TBM115 drill and MF70 mill. I bought them in 2004. They were expensive even back then, but I have never regretted the purchase.

I have Proxxon disc sander and the pen sander what I use for model building

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6657 on: June 22, 2018, 03:05:20 pm »
I got these today!  :)

Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6658 on: June 22, 2018, 06:21:00 pm »
4L of Castrol Magnatec 5w30 oil and some rubber boots for a coil Pack

Offline kerouanton

• Regular Contributor
  • Just curious about science, radio etc.
    • Sometimes I play with radio
« Reply #6659 on: June 23, 2018, 05:24:22 am »
Renewed my full lab equipment with Siglent gear  :D

From top to bottom:
SDG6022X     200MHz Pulse/Arbitrary Waveform Generator
SDM3055       5 1/2 Digts Digital Multimeter
SDS1104X-E  100MHz Scope + MSO option
SSA30302X    3.2GHz Spectrum Analyzer
SPD3303X-E   Programmable Power Supply

My former gear was over 20 years ago (20MHz CRT scope, 10MHz signal generator, PSU with analog display etc.). What a change  ;)

(And no, I'm not in a GAS mood. I'm just renewing my stuff, trying to get good gear that will last me for a few decades if possible, and saving space).

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #6660 on: June 23, 2018, 08:00:44 am »
I bought a Logic probe kit from Altronics (It's a Silicon Chip magazine design) the other week and finally got around to building it today - I put the big Heat-shrink tube over it after taking this photo.

PS, yes that is a CR1632 in the CR2032 battery holder, I've run out of CR2032's.  :palm:

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #6661 on: June 23, 2018, 11:18:37 am »
The newest piece of test gear I own just arrived the other day, and apart from multimeters and stuff, is the first new 'big ticket' item I've bought.
The next newest piece of bench gear I have is decades older. :D

Still in the post is a Hakko FM-206 rework station and an AmScope SM-4T-80S trinocular microscope.

♫♪♬ Hey big spender ♪♫♬......

Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6662 on: June 23, 2018, 11:37:11 am »
Thats a nice piece of kit you have there, the newest piece of major kit I have is a 20 years old combiscope and to compliment that I have other new kit that was sub £60 cost like LCR meters, voltage references, counters, pulse generators, USB microscopes, multimeters, function generators and bench power supplies. The bulk of my lab is like that of so many of us, made up of equipment that is 20 to 50 years old.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #6663 on: June 23, 2018, 01:06:02 pm »
Yeah, I have the benefit of living a train ride from Akihabara, so most of my kit is repaired surplus stuff from junk stores.
My latest junk purchase is a $35 HP3478A that only needs a few things to make it fully functional.

Offline Coliban

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6664 on: June 23, 2018, 01:36:40 pm »
Just bought a Maynuo 9710 for about 260€, about 300$.

(Hope the picture will be shown, i´ve attached one to this posting)

Now I'm asking me, how to operate that device because the documentation is a little bit confusing for me. And is it possible to take the DB9 <-> USB FTDI converter? I have already one here so i wouldn't need to buy one.
"If Lyfe were a Thing that Monie could buy -- the Poor could not live & the Rich would not die." Quote on a gravestone from a glove maker, Scotland, 17th century

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6665 on: June 23, 2018, 02:14:42 pm »
Yeah, I have the benefit of living a train ride from Akihabara, so most of my kit is repaired surplus stuff from junk stores.
My latest junk purchase is a $35 HP3478A that only needs a few things to make it fully functional.
It's quite easy to calibrate a 3478A once you have it working. Just need a voltage ref 1/3rd of the full scale on each dc range, a known dc current, some 0.1% resistors and follow the steps in the service manual.

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #6666 on: June 23, 2018, 02:22:12 pm »
Now I'm asking me, how to operate that device because the documentation is a little bit confusing for me. And is it possible to take the DB9 <-> USB FTDI converter? I have already one here so i wouldn't need to buy one.

No.  The DB9 is TTL.  Do a search here for this.  Isolated USB adapters are available or you can make one.

Offline Coliban

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6667 on: June 23, 2018, 04:02:00 pm »

No.  The DB9 is TTL.  Do a search here for this.  Isolated USB adapters are available or you can make one.

Yes, i already saw the instructions for that, but that is too much fiddling, printing a board, get SMD components. Maybe there is some china-made adapters?
"If Lyfe were a Thing that Monie could buy -- the Poor could not live & the Rich would not die." Quote on a gravestone from a glove maker, Scotland, 17th century

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #6668 on: June 23, 2018, 04:20:52 pm »
It's quite easy to calibrate a 3478A once you have it working. Just need a voltage ref 1/3rd of the full scale on each dc range, a known dc current, some 0.1% resistors and follow the steps in the service manual.

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Yeah, I'll have to look into that. The calibration is still 'valid' in that the backup battery is still holding the RAM (I have a new battery to replace the old one with) and seems pretty spot on still, but it might be a fun project to recalibrate it.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6669 on: June 23, 2018, 05:37:06 pm »
Thats the thing about 3478A's as long as the ram retains the data, they seem to be spot on, even years after the last documented calibration. :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6670 on: June 23, 2018, 06:32:22 pm »
PS and fan for repairs.  Bonus gray beard points to the first person to identify the device being repaired.  Note that, as well as +5 and +24, it relies on 120V 60 cycle AC for proper operation.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6671 on: June 25, 2018, 07:05:34 am »

Yes, i already saw the instructions for that, but that is too much fiddling, printing a board, get SMD components. Maybe there is some china-made adapters?

I bought the adapter directly from Maynuo, but at the same time as I bought the M9710, so they gave me a good price. You can buy it seperately for about €40. The nice case and the fact that it's from the OEM makes it worth more than some generic Chinese copy that wouldn't be much cheaper. https://www.ebay.de/itm/M133-USB-R232-Cable-for-MAYNUO-M9712-M9812-M9710-series/112442420163

I don't think I've ever read the manual. If you have any experience using any other programmable loads, the M9710 is quite intuitive and easy to use without further information.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6672 on: June 27, 2018, 11:11:42 am »
PS and fan for repairs.  Bonus gray beard points to the first person to identify the device being repaired.  Note that, as well as +5 and +24, it relies on 120V 60 cycle AC for proper operation.

Well I reckon it's going to be an Amiga 2000/1500

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6673 on: June 27, 2018, 11:35:42 am »

Well I reckon it's going to be an Amiga 2000/1500

Nah, Amigas use 5V and 12V, no 24V required.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6674 on: June 27, 2018, 11:39:12 am »
Oops, yeah, you're right of course. No 24V on an Amiga

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf