Author Topic: Total nonsense on eeweb.com  (Read 13104 times)

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
Re: Total nonsense on eeweb.com
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2011, 07:51:37 pm »
In all honesty, I do like the software on the iPad. I was thinking for a while, about the feasibility of a hand-held scope with an iPad size screen, with the same quality of construction and a nice UI to go with it. But with muuuuch better specs compared to this one, of course. Most of the hand held units I've seen do crappy rendering of waveforms; and have a fairly tedious and unimaginative user interface. I mean, you can do so much with cheap OpenGL ES capable GPUs these days... why not use it?

He has a good point, the problem is there is not enough bandwidth to transmit all the data from the ADC to the iPad so you need lots of sampling memory Not cheap. Then it starts to be just like good quality USB scopes: too expensive to be practical.

Offline LightagesTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2011, 08:01:51 pm »
Absolutely. The right thing to do is declare if it was a paid review or promotional consideration. However I'm sure most EEWeb readers would be smart enough to work it out for themselves.

The minute I need to start worrying about a website that supplies technical information is playing loose with the truth just because someone offers them some money is the minute I stop looking at the website. This one example might be obvious, but why should I have to start guessing the validity of a site that presents itself as an authority. I have only so much time to read things and glean the information. If I need to research everything that is said to make sure it isn't being distorted by money, then the place is a waste of time.

The guy who did that review, and the owner(s) of the website should be ashamed of themselves. They have lost all credibility with me. It should not have been called a review but rather a paid product release summary.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2011, 11:10:57 pm »
what a technical review without a teardown? only ipad this and ipad that?
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2011, 02:42:09 am »
In all honesty, I do like the software on the iPad. I was thinking for a while, about the feasibility of a hand-held scope with an iPad size screen, with the same quality of construction and a nice UI to go with it. But with muuuuch better specs compared to this one, of course. Most of the hand held units I've seen do crappy rendering of waveforms; and have a fairly tedious and unimaginative user interface. I mean, you can do so much with cheap OpenGL ES capable GPUs these days... why not use it?

He has a good point, the problem is there is not enough bandwidth to transmit all the data from the ADC to the iPad so you need lots of sampling memory Not cheap. Then it starts to be just like good quality USB scopes: too expensive to be practical.
Agreed. Thunderbolt should take care of that in a couple of years but until then "not ready for prime time".

Offline ThePranksta

• Contributor
    • Lattech Systems
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2011, 06:47:30 am »

Agreed. Thunderbolt should take care of that in a couple of years but until then "not ready for prime time".

Even with better bandwidth capability I won't trust its calibration and sensitivity. Tried $150 USB logic analyzer kit a few years ago, maybe ok for debugging a system that has finished its development and testing cycle but on my development I missed < 1ms highs on a control line.

Offline WattSekunde

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2011, 03:31:47 pm »
I like this more... because I need my iPad in the Lab for searching the Web or watching TV until boring works.  :D

Xprotolab 200kHz 2-Ch DIP-Size Mixed Signal Scope - Price: $49.00

http://www.saelig.com/DIME/PSHA026.htm
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 06:26:25 pm by WattSekunde »

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2011, 03:50:23 pm »

Even with better bandwidth capability I won't trust its calibration and sensitivity. Tried $150 USB logic analyzer kit a few years ago, maybe ok for debugging a system that has finished its development and testing cycle but on my development I missed < 1ms highs on a control line.

That is an implementation rather than technology issue, however. No reason why a front end can't be made designed calibratable and with high sensitivity. The price might not end up at $150, however.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf