Author Topic: Working with glass tubes.  (Read 2110 times)

Offline tpowell1830Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
Working with glass tubes.
« on: December 17, 2018, 12:38:35 am »
I have watched a few videos from this person, who does some vintage repairs and works as a glass craftsman on projects. This is a video making a glass electronic tube from start to finish. It is a bit long, but I was fascinated.

I had the honor of working with a glass craftsman like this a few times in the '90s and this is no less exceptional, IMO.

Enjoy...
PEACE===>T

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Brasto

Offline Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
Re: Working with glass tubes.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 01:06:33 am »
Ah, glasslinger a.k.a. Ron Soyland - I recognise the lathe :) I'm a fan of his videos.
Another interesting tube maker to seek out is Claude Paillard , F2FO. He made a batch of triode valves as a centinary celebration of the invention/discovery of the triode. He attempted to use as near as practicle the contemporary technology - this included making most of the "technology".
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 01:09:45 am by Andy Watson »

The following users thanked this post: tpowell1830

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 01:20:24 am »
Something about glass  8) I saw this Nixie Tube one a while back.

https://youtu.be/wxL4ElboiuA
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: tpowell1830

Offline tpowell1830Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 01:22:37 am »
Ah, glasslinger a.k.a. Ron Soyland - I recognise the lathe :) I'm a fan of his videos.
Another interesting tube maker to seek out is Claude Paillard , F2FO. He made a batch of triode valves as a centinary celebration of the invention/discovery of the triode. He attempted to use as near as practicle the contemporary technology - this included making most of the "technology".

Yes, the vintage electronics part is interesting, but I find working with glass fascinating, having tried it myself (unsuccessfully, I might add). Those little movements with the torch are so critical on timing; just a few milliseconds too long and you have a disaster, just a few mseconds too short and you have a non-stick. This skill is both art and experience when it comes to successfully handling glass like that.
PEACE===>T

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 02:01:09 am »
It's a super-cool fluid :)
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline basinstreetdesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 02:06:12 am »
Yes, IMHO these people that do this are true artisans who happen to make cool useful items that can work their special brand of magic as components in the machines that are near and dear to my heart.  And they do it with techniques that can be truly dangerous if handled inexpertly.  I could not imagine attempting glass forming myself.  My hats off to them.  :clap:
STAND BACK!  I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 06:29:08 am »
i want to do this

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 09:43:47 am »
i want to do this

I know, right? Seeing glassblowing skill makes me so jealous.
Many years ago I was offered a ginormous glass lathe and a bunch of glassblowing gear. But I had nowhere to set up or even store the lathe, so declined. Still don't have any spare space to set up for glassblowing. This makes me sad.
But I have seriously too many projects anyway.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf