Author Topic: (My) best roastbeef recipe  (Read 2229 times)

Offline YsjoelfirTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
(My) best roastbeef recipe
« on: March 15, 2021, 09:44:17 am »
A recipe I did many times for my family: Roastbeef! Pretty simple and delicious.

You need:
Roughly 1kg Roastbeef (go to your local butcher and ask for that, its worth the money), ideally pre trimmed. Otherwise trimm the fat from the outside.
3 Garlic Cloves
Some fresh Thyme and Rosemary
4 Tbs Olive Oil
1 Ts Mustard
1 Ts Honey
1 Tbs lard or any other fat that can be heated to a very high heat and has neutral flavour
Salt and Pepper, preferably pre ground

To do:
Mix herbs (not the garlic), pepper and oil and and apply generously onto the meat. Let that sit for some time, ideal is 2 hours or more.
Preheat the oven to 100C. Heat a pan over very high heat with the lard in it and scrape off as much of the herb-oil-mix from the meat as you can. DO NOT DISCARD THAT! use a spoon or whatever to scrape it into a bowl.
Sear the meat on all sides for a short time, for a 1kg piece I suggest roughly 2 minutes per side. You want to get a dark brown crust, but no black, charred pieces. You have to adjust the time to your stove and check regularely.
After you have an even crust all around it remove it from the heat and put it into an oven dish (or remove the meat and let the pan cool down a bit, if it is one you can put into the oven). We don't want to cook our meat just yet!

Now take all the drippings from the pan, the oil-herb mix and the rest of the ingredients and mix that together until you get a paste like sauce. apply that onto the meat thoroughly.
Now stick a meat thermometer into the center of the meat and put it into your preheated oven until you reached 58 to 60C.

Remove from the oven, wrap with some aluminium foil and let it sit for at least 15 minutes before cutting.
Done :) Enjoy eg. with some fried potatoes and some selfmade remoulade.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 04:17:04 pm by Ysjoelfir »
Greetings, Kai \ Ysjoelfir

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
Re: (My) best roastbeef recipe
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 12:22:22 pm »

OMG...    :P

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 10:21:06 pm »
I have to say...that looks delicious and absolutely perfectly done - exactly how I like it to be. Not sure about what's on top, I prefer simple thickened juice, but no matter.

So, what kind of roast beef is it?

https://www.epicurious.com/ingredients/all-about-beef-roasts-from-chuck-to-rump-article

I can never keep the kinds straight and butcher shops where I am at are rare.
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

Offline TheHolyHorse

• Regular Contributor
  • You don't need to be confused, just understand it.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 09:32:38 am »
Looks really nice, I need to try this.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 07:57:40 pm »
Thanks, I appreciate seeing that you guys like the pics :)

DrG: Well, in germany there is actually a standard cut for rostbeef. Take a look at this:

(Source: https://www.fokus-fleisch.de/warenkunde-rindfleisch-schweinefleisch )

I think it should be top sirloin in american beef disassembling techniques?

TheHolyHorse, I am looking forward to your experience, please share your outcome! :)

The following users thanked this post: DrG

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 08:51:03 pm »
Yes, top sirloin is a common roast in America.  I actually have it as a cheap steak from time to time.  I also use it as the meat in spaghetti and ravioli.

My favorite roast, however, is either bone-in or boneless rib roast.  Typical seasonings, then smear with soft (not melted) butter.  Oven at 500°F for 15 minutes to sear, then reduce to a slow oven (300°F) to a final temp of about 130°, which goes to 135° on sitting. 

My current PIC project uses an algorithm to predict the done time based on the rate of change.  It is plotted as a histogram.  Enhancements will include adjustments for the roast size and diffusion.  But, right now, it's not too bad except for the first half hour or so.  Here's am example using my fake roast (plaster of Paris w/ vermiculite):1196200-0

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Ysjoelfir

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 11:03:57 pm »
Since we're sharing diagrams, I thought I'd take this opportunity to include this for fans of Borat. This is from the book BORAT: Touristic Guidings to Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan. Absolutely cracks me up every time.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 11:21:45 pm by Halcyon »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 09:08:32 am »
 :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 06:32:54 am »
I gave this a go (Ysjoelfir also kindly shared his remoulade recipe with me). It turned out delicious although the beef was on the rare side, which I personally don't mind but others might not like it.

I used the temperature probe for my oven and I have always found it to read a little high. Perhaps next time I'll aim for somewhere in the 63-65°C ballpark (as it's read by my oven). I did also use a cut of beef that was a bit uneven so while some bits were cooked to perfection, thicker parts were rare. I went with a balsamic glaze for the salad greens and also added some broccolini for some extra veg. There was beef leftover so I'll be making sandwiches or wraps to take to work this week.

The quality of beef really makes a difference. Even though this was cooked to rare, it was still tender and not chewy.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 06:35:48 am by Halcyon »

The following users thanked this post: Ysjoelfir

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf