Author Topic: Cabbage bar carné  (Read 2977 times)

Online PlainNameTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Cabbage bar carné
« on: July 13, 2021, 09:42:20 pm »
Usually we would do cabbage by throwing some bacon into a pan then cooking the cabbage in the fat, but having been gifted some turkey sausages via the 'gotta go today' shelf of the local supermarket, we wanted a version that wouldn't overpower them so this simple and quick recipe doesn't have the bacon.

Apols for the photo quality and lighting - didn't know I was going to do this until I'd started...

Ingredients

* Half a cabbage (or a whole one) with the woody bit removed, then sliced or diced or however you prefer to make sure it's dead.

1235906-0

* Large onion, sliced or diced ditto.

1235908-1

* Pair of apples, peeled, cored and chopped. Tip: if you normally do all the prep before starting on the cooking, either make an exception for these or store them in a bowl of water to stop 'em going brown.

1235910-2

* Oil of some kind. For this I used olive oil plus some goose fat. Butter is fine instead/as well.

* That's it - no other liquid (except mustard if you like that). There will be plenty to soak up with mash or bread or whatever at the end, even so.

Method

I used a pressure cooker but a pan with a lid should be OK with a longer cooking time. The important bit is that the heat and steam needs to be kept in.

Heat the oil/fat/butter and saute the onions until transparent(ish).

1235912-3

Add the apple and give it a good stir to get the apple oiled up. Add mustard, salt and pepper to taste (that's a good teaspoon of Dijon, and about half to three-quarters of a teaspoon of salt, which worked for us but YMMV).

1235914-4

Mix and add the cabbage, giving it a good stir. Slap the lid on and once the cooker is up to pressure give it 20 mins. No, 25. Which is about 40-60 if it's a safe ole lidded pan.

1235916-5

Serve. Doesn't look like much in the photo but it's all I could grab before the rest evaporated, courtesy of my other half.

1235918-6

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
Re: Cabbage bar carné
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 11:44:44 pm »
Just did it. Ate it with tapioca.

I didn't peel the apples (I like apple skin) and cooked it all in a pressure cooker. Also used butter and oil.

Tastes very good.

Online PlainNameTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Cabbage bar carné
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 11:59:49 pm »

Tapioca is an interesting twist!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf