Author Topic: µCurrent GOLD on Kickstarter  (Read 224327 times)

Offline JDW

• Frequent Contributor
Re: µCurrent GOLD on Kickstarter
« Reply #550 on: July 20, 2017, 09:33:42 pm »
So just increase the size of the resister that protects the LED. It's a bit bright anyway, and increasing the size of the resister will reduce the average current draw too.

Offline mario

« Reply #551 on: July 20, 2017, 10:18:57 pm »
 :palm: :palm:

Did not bother to look at the components datasheets. My mistake, apologies.

I'll check this hardware thread, thanks MLXXXP.     

JDW:
That too. But I think I'll give it a go with just the 3v for now. As soon as I have a measurement, I'll report.

Offline mario

« Reply #552 on: July 20, 2017, 10:27:06 pm »
Sorry again for the double post, can't find a way to attach an image to an old post.

This is the current measured with an Analog Discovery (version 1) and a 10 \$\Omega\$ @1%, but I would like to redo the measurement with a RIGOL oscilloscope and the uCurrent. The Analog Discovery (version 1) has only 16k points.

EDIT:

Now I know how to place another image. Just use the "modify" option.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:36:03 pm by mario »

Offline spool_of_wire

« Reply #553 on: September 24, 2017, 09:34:56 pm »
I was wondering if it's still possible to get a ucurrent gold? I've looked at every link I can find and they all say it's out of stock? Is the project currently having backlogs or demand has dropped to the point it's no longer being produced?

Or as was mentioned one page back did they have a fire sale to get the old units out and an update is in the works?

Thanks,

-J

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #554 on: September 24, 2017, 10:34:05 pm »
Yes they are still produced. Dave and I sell them but currently we are out of stock.  They are produced in batches of 1000 but can sell out in a few months.

The following users thanked this post: spool_of_wire

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #555 on: September 25, 2017, 06:45:33 pm »
Yes they are still produced. Dave and I sell them but currently we are out of stock.  They are produced in batches of 1000 but can sell out in a few months.
Time to sub out the whole manufacturing and final assembly/test?
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #556 on: September 25, 2017, 07:30:03 pm »
They are Mike, they arrive to Dave prepacked in padded envelopes ready for dispatch which makes dispatching fairly simple for both of us. It's just the time it takes between batches being made as you never know just how popular they are going to be so ordering too many can lead to a nasty surprise ? i think Dave is surprised so many have sold.

Offline spool_of_wire

« Reply #557 on: October 24, 2017, 09:37:08 pm »
Just a heads up they're back in stock they have 41 (well now 40 since I picked one up) so if anyone was following this thread and was on the lookout for one they're available currently.

-J

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #558 on: October 25, 2017, 06:35:26 am »
Oh good, hopefully a box load will be on it's way to me soon.

Offline BNElecEng

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #559 on: October 26, 2017, 06:39:22 pm »
Hi Simon,

Is there any way to have a µCurrent kept aside for me when you receive them? I've been trying to get hold of one for ages.

Many thanks

Barry

Offline Henry_jk

« Reply #560 on: October 03, 2018, 10:43:29 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I've posted on the main forum but I got no reply for my question on Ucurrent gold so i thought maybe I would post here and try my luck.

I would like to know the way I hook up my uCurrent gold is current or not. I have drawn a diagram to illustrate how I hook up the uCurrent gold with my DMM and circuit.

I am trying to measure the sleeping current of my ESP8266 switching between sleep mode and idle mode.

Thanks.
Henry

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #561 on: October 03, 2018, 11:59:45 pm »
Swap the two leads going to the uCurrent input terminals.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #562 on: October 04, 2018, 04:12:17 am »
Swap the two leads going to the uCurrent input terminals.

It doesn't matter much, he will just see a negative voltage.

But it is better to use a scope. I tried it once with a ESP32 and there were very short peaks of very high current, half an amp, when sending data:

https://hackaday.io/project/20466-wifi-epaper/log/59869-power-supply-tests

You don't see this with a multimeter. But maybe not a problem, if you just want to measure sleep and idle currents. But the interesting things happens when you transmit wireless data with your ESP8266.

PS: when you use a scope, you should power it from a battery, or isolated power supply, to avoid ground problems.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #563 on: October 04, 2018, 04:58:48 am »

PS: when you use a scope, you should power it from a battery, or isolated power supply, to avoid ground problems.

Can you explain your thinking here more?  He is measuring a battery powered circuit (via a battery powered microcurrent device). Not sure I follow why using a earth referenced scope would be an issue.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #564 on: October 04, 2018, 06:19:55 am »
There is no problem with a battery powered device. I just mentioned it, in case someday someone reads this and doesn't use a battery.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

The following users thanked this post: neslekkim

Offline MudAndSnow

• Contributor
« Reply #565 on: October 14, 2018, 07:27:02 am »
Looks like this is out of stock on eevblog store. Any idea when the next batch will be ready?

Is there anywhere else you recommend I get one in Canada?

Offline alex-sh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #566 on: October 17, 2018, 08:52:49 am »
You are good to go. However, uCurrent does not have an auto-ranging feature. This means that you can see the sleeping current and as soon as ESP8266 wakes up, your DMM will be out of range. Bummer!

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #567 on: October 17, 2018, 10:12:49 am »
Alex if your measurements where roughly in the same order of magnitude you could swap out thr burden resistance to one that suits your measurement.

Also dave Im hoping for the next batch of stock soon. Im after 2

Offline alex-sh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #568 on: October 17, 2018, 02:03:58 pm »
I have to measure currents from mA down to nA. Hence, without code modification (only sleep or only running) uCurrent is of no use to me.
I am currently testing another similar to uCurrent device called Current Ranger with auto-ranging. Very convenient for Arduino+nrf24l01+ or ESP8266/ESP32

Offline PIC16F84

« Reply #569 on: December 07, 2018, 10:10:09 am »
I would like to electronically control the range selection between mA and µA modes (nA mode is not needed). I am thinking of replacing the SW1 with two MOSFETs – one between 1A and 2A and another one between 2A and 3A. Will this kind of modification affect the measurement results? Is there anything I should take into account when selecting MOSFETs?

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
« Reply #570 on: December 09, 2018, 07:58:18 am »
I would like to electronically control the range selection between mA and µA modes (nA mode is not needed). I am thinking of replacing the SW1 with two MOSFETs – one between 1A and 2A and another one between 2A and 3A. Will this kind of modification affect the measurement results? Is there anything I should take into account when selecting MOSFETs?

First, show us how you'd modify the schematic to incorporate MOSFETs:

http://www.eevblog.com/files/uCurrentRev5schematic.pdf

EDIT: Also, making a modification like this is a whole topic that deserves a thread on its own. I strongly suggest making a separate thread for this. Just to close off this thread quickly, if you don't want the nA range then you can turn the right hand side of the switch into a plain wire (as the uA and mA settings make identical connections on that side), and you can replace the left hand side with N-type MOSFETs (you're lucky because nodes 1A and 3A are basically shorted to J2.) You need to pay special attention to how you will drive the gates of the MOSFET though, as J2 is at virtual ground, not at circuit/battery ground. V+ is only 1.5V above VGND, so you're going to need some sort of charge pump or other power supply to turn any normal MOSFET on.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 08:25:04 am by rs20 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf