Author Topic: Pokit  (Read 14812 times)

Offline bdunham7Topic starter

• Super Contributor
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
Re: Pokit
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 06:54:12 pm »
Looks nice :)

Might've been tempted if I'd got there for the early bird.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 07:14:36 pm »
Another gizmo for a cell phone...Thanks but no, thanks.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 07:17:20 pm »
I hope you'll do better than the Vion :horse:

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 08:25:20 pm »
10 amp, 600V, Cat III? riiiiiiight. A 10 amp HRC fuse is almost the size of that thing, so how are they protecting that 10 amp input?

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 12:37:49 am »
https://www.smh.com.au/business/small-business/from-lab-to-boardroom-how-australian-inventors-become-founders-20190131-p50upv.html
Maybe Dave can give them a visit.

Sorry, won't happen, for reasons I won't go into.
Paul is a former colleague from way back, and coincidentally David used to work for them (they are a contract design house).
I'm sure the Pokit is going to be reasonably well engineered, so I wouldn't list it under Dodgy.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Kean

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 06:18:02 pm »
Not another one...   :palm:

Yes, as others have pointed out, how can a fuse rated at 250V give Cat III 600V protection?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Cyberdragon

Offline Mourning Star

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 02:33:02 pm »
I came here, hoping to see if Dave was going to review this. But if he's acquainted with the designers, or at the very least the official EEVBLOG forum name is saying that it's probably not dodgy...that's good enough for me to roll the dice on this kickstarter.

I have decent gear IN my lab. but my portable equipment is less than stellar quality. If this thing is HALF as good as its claims, it'd be a really handy thing to have in my on-the-go kit.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 05:19:13 pm »
I bet it will be half as safe too.

Show us the guts and the actual safety measures inside or I don't believe it. :bullshit:
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 10:33:15 pm »
I came here, hoping to see if Dave was going to review this. But if he's acquainted with the designers, or at the very least the official EEVBLOG forum name is saying that it's probably not dodgy.

That doesn't mean it's going to be good, or safe, or compliant or whatever, just that I think it should be much better than the train wreck that was the Vion.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 10:35:03 pm »
So they raised $1.1M on Kickstarter, and another $1.1M on Indigogo  :o

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2019, 10:40:57 pm »
How is this safe?
It has a micro USB connector on the side right where you would put your hand. I assume that's directly connected the negative lead.
There is a reason why multimeters have always used optical serial interfaces, and rechargeable ones like the old Agilent OLED one used the (safe) input jacks for charging.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2019, 12:26:28 am »
Maybe the USB connection is properly isolated? Anyway, I  would hope so. Otherwise the whole thing would be very unsafe indeed.

Other than engineering issues, the whole point of this kind of meter is still questionable IMO. Oh well.

The following users thanked this post: ErikTheNorwegian

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2019, 12:34:49 am »
Maybe the USB connection is properly isolated?

In that size and space, and given that it has to have isolated charging as well and not just comms, I greatly doubt it. But I could be wrong, charging current won't be high.

Other than engineering issues, the whole point of this kind of meter is still questionable IMO. Oh well.

Yep, niche use IMO. The phone interface adds little real value over a proper probe pen based multimeter, and you have to rely on it being charged and and your phone being charged and working.
But people love the concept, that's why they buy it, not because it's of more value than a pen multimeter.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2019, 12:53:30 am »
Maybe the USB connection is properly isolated?
In that size and space, and given that it has to have isolated charging as well and not just comms, I greatly doubt it. But I could be wrong, charging current won't be high.

Yeah, don't know about charging current. If low enough, it's definitely doable, but the usual solutions, in order to fit in that space, would have 1/ pretty low efficiency probably, 2/ not that cheap and 3/ would be hard to tame EMI-wise. So, yeah, I also have some doubts they really did isolate it.

But people love the concept, that's why they buy it, not because it's of more value than a pen multimeter.

Well, I can tell there is demand for that, but I'm very wary of the long-term interest. This is typically the kind of device that some people will be excited to buy, then they will use it a few times, lose interest (because of all the shortcomings, and the not-so-great usability after all), and it will end-up in a drawer. So I'm under the impression that this kind of multimeters are not meant for the long term, neither for the user, nor for the manufacturer; just to be sold in enough quantities for a couple years, and then the company would move on to the next venture... just the way I see it.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2019, 01:44:37 am »
Well, I can tell there is demand for that, but I'm very wary of the long-term interest. This is typically the kind of device that some people will be excited to buy, then they will use it a few times, lose interest (because of all the shortcomings, and the not-so-great usability after all), and it will end-up in a drawer. So I'm under the impression that this kind of multimeters are not meant for the long term, neither for the user, nor for the manufacturer; just to be sold in enough quantities for a couple years, and then the company would move on to the next venture... just the way I see it.

Yup, it's the same for almost an Bluetoothy gadget. Nothing beats a proper standalone instrument that will always work a decade or two from now.

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2019, 11:07:03 am »
So they raised $1.1M on Kickstarter, and another $1.1M on Indigogo  :o

Nope, they just raised the $1.1M AUD on KS.  The Indiegogo amount includes that, plus a few thousand AUD of additional pledges.
$1,109,647 AUD by 6,958 backers
$1,106,878 AUD by 6,944 backers on Nov 28, 2019 with another platform

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2019, 12:05:38 pm »
Would it be that hard to isolate it all? A nice ADUM could probably take care of power and comms in relatively little space..

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2019, 12:58:36 pm »
Would there be any interest in a pen multimeter shootout?

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2019, 01:10:28 pm »
Only if magic smoke is released.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2019, 05:51:03 pm »
Only if magic smoke is released.

:-DD

I think that would be easier to achieve than avoid... the real trick is making sure no shaven apes are damaged!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline ivaylo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2019, 05:56:42 am »
Would there be any interest in a pen multimeter shootout?
Yes!

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2019, 10:19:37 am »
I liked, but no interest because I already have too many scopes  and meters, But is interesting

Offline HwAoRrDk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2019, 04:57:34 pm »
Dark grey and yellow colour option? I foresee a sternly-worded letter from Fluke's lawyers coming their way. :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf