Author Topic: [MOVED] Hacking NVidia Cards into their Professional Counterparts  (Read 1645054 times)

Offline cloudscapes

• Regular Contributor
Re: Hacking NVidia Cards into their Professional Counterparts
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 12:53:17 pm »
hack-a-day: the best way to instantly blow your bandwidth limit if you're using a smaller provider.  ;D

Offline gnifTopic starter

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 12:54:41 pm »
14:45    (Read 54112 times)
14:46    (Read 54322 times)
3896 Guests are viewing this topic

I think you've just made the server impervious to the notorious internet_kiss_of_death !!
 :-+

That was the idea :). For those that are interested, this thread has generated 3,316,841 hits to this thread as of writing this post. We peaked out at 5x the highest ever concurrent users on the forums and only saw a peak server load of 0.8 out of 8.0. Just goes to show what a properly configured server with Nginx is capable of :).

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 01:00:02 pm »
Just look at the number of "Most online today" and "'Most online ever" at the bottom of this forum front page , they are equal.  ;)

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 01:01:27 pm »
Just look at the number of "Most online today" and "'Most online ever" at the bottom of this forum front page , they are equal.  ;)

I am eager to see the daily stats for today, just waiting for them to get generated.

Edit: I wonder if we will hit 100K reads, has to be some kind of server record :).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 01:08:10 pm by gnif »

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 01:08:39 pm »
The current forum stat page shows that this thread is on rank #8 in Top Ten Topic (by views), will it overthrone the legendary tinhead's "Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free" thread ?  :o

Offline Neo_Moucha

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2013, 01:17:26 pm »
gnif: congrats on modifying the card, but do you think you can make both GPU cores K5000 too?
I am interested in this in Windows, would be great if you or somebody else would successfully modify the GTX 680 card :)

In the past I was always changing Geforce to Quadro - until last generation when it was possible with "softquadro" technique using RivaTuner (forum.guru3d.com), because of performance in AutoCAD/3DS Max, nowadays the performance in these applications is almost equal for both the geforce and quadro models, but additional features available in the driver for Quadro models are always very interesting...

Looking forward to seeing some development in this topic
Cheers!

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2013, 01:19:49 pm »
gnif: congrats on modifying the card, but do you think you can make both GPU cores K5000 too?
I am interested in this in Windows, would be great if you or somebody else would successfully modify the GTX 680 card :)

In the past I was always changing Geforce to Quadro - until last generation when it was possible with "softquadro" technique using RivaTuner (forum.guru3d.com), because of performance in AutoCAD/3DS Max, nowadays the performance in these applications is almost equal for both the geforce and quadro models, but additional features available in the driver for Quadro models are always very interesting...

Looking forward to seeing some development in this topic
Cheers!

Neo,

The only thing preventing me from doing this to the other GPU is the risk of killing my card, see the risk was minimal for the initial hack as the layout of the board hinted at where the straps are, but there is no layout hints for GPU1. If someone was to donate one I would be willing to track down the straps for GPU1 also.

Offline Neo_Moucha

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2013, 01:26:47 pm »
Unfortunately at the moment I am not able to donate the card :)
But I can donate up to $50, maybe you could collect the money, we just need other 19 people willing to donate $50...
Or for starters - a GTX 680 for about half the price - only 9 people... :)

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2013, 01:28:53 pm »
Unfortunately at the moment I am not able to donate the card :)
But I can donate up to $50, maybe you could collect the money, we just need other 19 people willing to donate $50...
Or for starters - a GTX 680 for about half the price - only 9 people... :)

If there is enough people willing to do this I will sort out a way to donate. A 680 can be modded also but it will not help with the 690 as the layout on the PCB is very different to accommodate the 2nd GPU.

That said I would be willing to track down straps for any of the GTX 670 and upwards cards if I had them also. Cards based on the NVidia reference design are the best for this as they are more common across brands, the GTX690 I have here is pretty much exactly the reference card that NVidia released.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 01:32:02 pm by gnif »

Offline Neo_Moucha

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2013, 01:31:22 pm »
OK, let me know :) Paypal is no problem for me...

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2013, 01:41:11 pm »
OK, let me know :) Paypal is no problem for me...

Ok, I have been contacted out of band by a few others who have been keen to donate (that was fast), so here is the link:

https://sourceforge.net/donate/?user_id=2785077

I will also update the initial post with this information.

Offline Neo_Moucha

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2013, 01:45:17 pm »
Neo_Moucha: Donate: done!  ;)

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2013, 01:47:57 pm »
Neo_Moucha: Donate: done!  ;)

Thank you very much :). If the funds can be raised to get the card, I will offer to mod cards of anyone who donates $50 or more once the straps can be identified, you will just have to cover the cost of shipping the card to AU and Back.

Offline Neo_Moucha

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2013, 01:50:17 pm »
Great!  :-+

HLA-27b

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2013, 02:05:02 pm »
This promises to be very interesting. I'm gonna get me some popcorn.

Gnif, anything you do will help move us toward better open source Linux drivers and farther away from the closed source binary blobs.

I think what you discovered is the exact reason why those bastards won't release anything in the open.

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2013, 02:08:14 pm »
This promises to be very interesting. I'm gonna get me some popcorn.

Gnif, anything you do will help move us toward better open source Linux drivers and farther away from the closed source binary blobs.

I think what you discovered is the exact reason why those bastards won't release anything in the open.

Possibly, I have been thinking on how they could prevent this in the future and there is some methods they could use, but I will not mention them here simply because I do not want to feed them information :). Needless to say though, if they use them, then the next generation of cards will be impossible to mod without resorting to hacking the binary drivers, which without a doubt encroaches on leagallity issues.

HLA-27b

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2013, 02:24:58 pm »
Possibly, I have been thinking on how they could prevent this in the future and there is some methods they could use, but I will not mention them here simply because I do not want to feed them information :). Needless to say though, if they use them, then the next generation of cards will be impossible to mod without resorting to hacking the binary drivers, which without a doubt encroaches on leagallity issues.

Same as jailbreaking a phone I guess...
Anyway, they could have played nicely with Linux from the beginning, but no....

edit: can't spell

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2013, 02:30:40 pm »

Same as jailbreking a phone I guess...
Anyway, they could have played nicely with Linux from the beginning, but no....

Yeah, I hate big companies that think that all Linux users are no money burnouts that like to hack things. One day they are going to realise that Linux is attracting all the professional programmers and engineers, and is very fast pulling general users away from windows and mac, especially with the recent move by Steam to release for Linux now due to the crappy APIs in Windows 8.

By not supporting the Linux users, because there is such a high percentage of engineers/developers using it, when things don't work the way they should... out comes the reverse engineering tools and all that R&D they spent on securing their product goes out the window. I wonder if they look at projects like Nouveau and realise that these open drivers will eventually be able to ignore the device ID and enable the professional features regardless?

Offline tony

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2013, 06:23:54 pm »
Have you looked at the front of the PCB?

The same 8-pin soic that is under the resistors you changed is on the lower-right of the other GPU and surrounded by a few resistors and unpopulated spots. It looks pretty promising to me.

Offline Zibri

• Zibri's Blog
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2013, 06:36:54 pm »
Do you see the straps here, anywhere?

http://www.ixbt.com/video3/images/gf110/gtx580-scan-back.jpg

I wonder what a GTX580 can become :) (if anything useful)

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2013, 08:28:59 pm »
Have you looked at the front of the PCB?

The same 8-pin soic that is under the resistors you changed is on the lower-right of the other GPU and surrounded by a few resistors and unpopulated spots. It looks pretty promising to me.

Agreed, but as stated, this could be completely unrelated to it, it could be controlling voltage and modding could potentially kill the GPU.

Nothing stands out, they may be on the front of the card.

Offline Neo_Moucha

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2013, 08:54:03 pm »

I don't think there is neither a Quadro nor a Tesla card equivalent for any GF110 GPU card
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Quadro and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units

Offline Zibri

• Zibri's Blog
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2013, 09:53:08 pm »

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_580/images/front_full.jpg

Oh, by the way, hats off for your findings so far!

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2013, 10:02:23 pm »

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_580/images/front_full.jpg

Oh, by the way, hats off for your findings so far!

Thanks,

I still can not see anything immediately obvious, and I doubt there will be anything as it seems that Neo_Moucha is correct, there was never a Quadro GF110 card.

Offline mamalala

• Supporter
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2013, 11:04:27 pm »
Yeah, I hate big companies that think that all Linux users are no money burnouts that like to hack things. One day they are going to realise that Linux is attracting all the professional programmers and engineers, and is very fast pulling general users away from windows and mac, especially with the recent move by Steam to release for Linux now due to the crappy APIs in Windows 8.

Funny thing is that if you look at the internet in general, Linux has already won the game. On the desktop it is still a long way to go, but it is getting there. My guess is that the mobile market will give the desktop quite a boost. Android is one thing, but then we also have the QT library, which is cross-plattform and gaining quite some traction.

Then there is the movement towards open formats in general. Stuff like Amazon deleting/denying-access-to eBooks that customers bought makes them more aware of the issues involved. Also, look at all these set-top-boxes and "intelligent" TV's using Linux that are popping up. All that propietary DRM crap is now showing it's true face to those who have these things, giving them more incentive to favour open formats.

That said, my first Linux was Yggdrasil, and that is now 20 years ago. Never looked back! Sure, i still have a Windows, but it is a Win 2000 running in a VirtualBox. And that will go soon as well, since MPLab X is now sufficiently usable on Linux (used the VM only for old MPLab stuff i do/did for customers).

Too bad that i have no use for your hack, since i'm simply not using that line of cards. I am not gaming, my focus is on desktop stuff, and for that my old card does just fine (dual-head, of course).

Anyways, great stuff you are doing here, keep it up!

Greetings,

Chris

The following users thanked this post: mechanerd

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf