Author Topic: ATTACK OF THE ROBOTS!$5K ROBOTS TO REPLACE HUMANS  (Read 4739 times)

Offline RecklessTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
ATTACK OF THE ROBOTS!$5K ROBOTS TO REPLACE HUMANS
« on: March 20, 2019, 04:45:45 am »
ATTACK OF THE ROBOTS! $5K ROBOTS TO REPLACE HUMANS IN 2019?

Anyone have an opinion of the following cobots/robots?
https://automata.tech/

https://www.ufactory.cc/#/en/xarm

https://www.rethinkrobotics.com/sawyer/ going used for $10k but had issues with long term reliability

I'm looking to replace routine packaging operations primarily.  It would be nice if this could replace solder robots/hand insertion as well but don't think its there yet.  Basically repetitive tasks and industrial grade.  I would like it to be programmed directly from a cell phone app if possible (not a requirement).  Servo robots should be more accurate than stepper motors. 

Anyone else looking at this?

Offline Styno

• Regular Contributor
  • TÜV-geprüft
Re: ATTACK OF THE ROBOTS!$5K ROBOTS TO REPLACE HUMANS
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 08:42:26 am »
Would be interesting, but wait, what?

xArm is powered by ARM X86 chip which is powerful enough to handle the complex controlling algorithm.
  :wtf:

Offline Styno

• Regular Contributor
  • TÜV-geprüft
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 09:20:09 am »
Yeah, it's gone now. That's quick!   :-+

Just read the FAQ on the EVA robot, plenty of things that I'd like to do with it that they don't recommend:
What can’t Eva do?

We don’t guarantee in-flight accuracy – so we can’t recommend welding, milling, 3d printing, laser cutting, drawing or in-line gluing applications.
    We don’t guarantee pose accuracy – i.e. to move x mm from a specific predefined point.
    Eva does not yet feature torque sensing. We do not recommend it for cutting or screwing.
    Eva is not certified to work with raw or unpackaged food or drinks, nor is it suitable for medical applications. However, many clean room use cases can be performed by covering the robot with a clean room sheath.
    Eva is not suitable for environments with a a risk of flash over or combustible dusts.
I'm interested in glue application for double sided boards as well as drilling and routing holes in enclosures. Some of these tasks don't really need sub-mm accuracy, so I guess it would be interesting if they could give some figures for the in-flight accuracy.
(Un)loading our top-loader vapour phase oven with a robot would be nice too as it's a really unpleasant job, specifically after the first cycle when the machine it hot and emits lots of vapour and nasty smells when the lid is opened.

Edit: Spot glueing is not a problem, so double sided board glue applications are well within reach.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 09:38:46 am by Styno »

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 09:35:57 pm »
@Reckless, do you happen to be affiliated with the company you had linked to? I find it really strange that they would update their website within minutes of an error being mentioned here.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 04:14:10 am »
Not at all.  I am a small business owner waiting for the rise of automation and cobots to automate mundane repeated tasks.

I almost bought each of these robots at one point but backed off as I think there is slight room for improvement.  I found one more company in vietnam making cobots selling directly on ebay.  Their unit works with an ios app which is what I think should have been designed like that in the first place.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 07:17:58 am »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Industrial-Robot-Mechanical-and-AC-Servo-Drivers-for-Research-and-Education/254142512232?hash=item3b2c12fc68:g:9ZAAAOSwrcBbaUFH

I think the X arm also works with a phone app (not 100% sure).  I was very close to buying one but feel it won't be industrial grade even though may be made using industrial components.  There is no reason a robot needs a special teach tool, ipads and tablets can input data just fine.  Much easier too as there are more of them lying around.  Also, allows for a lower cost.

I am dying for AI to become part of cobots so I can have my army of droids. 

Offline SWR

• Regular Contributor
  • Without engineering science is just philosophy.
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 05:01:28 pm »
The R3T model looks fine, but I'm waiting for the T-800 model.  8)
You should never go down on equipment!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 05:26:44 pm »
Whats the T-800?

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 05:46:05 pm »
Or better still, an R2D2  ;)

Now seriously.... I have not seen this particular unit, but the pitfall I've seen with low cost units is that reliability is lacking.

Motors stall, bearings seize, controller boards burn out, sensors fail, connections become intermittent, plastics break, mounting holes strip, things simply fall out.

Hopefully this is not the case here. Would love to see a thorough evaluation.

Offline SWR

• Regular Contributor
  • Without engineering science is just philosophy.
You should never go down on equipment!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 03:52:29 pm »
Hopefully in a few years!  I could use some bouncers and body guards as part of my entourage.    :box:

For now I am looking to replace slave labor.  Countries have been built on harnessing slave labor.  We need robots to work 24/7 without breaks and do work for us. 

I agree with bad robot manufacturers not making quality product.  That's why I am hesitant on Xarm.  I do think these lower tier robots will eventually compete with higher tier in small business segment.  Technology is still advancing in this field so robot turn over rate may be higher as well. 

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 12:30:21 am »
I want this: https://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/industrial-robots/uc-berkeley-blue-low-cost-force-controlled-robot-arm.  I think this might be better than xarm? 

Also, still looking for my army of T-800 clone secret service bodyguards/entourage.   Seriously

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 05:33:54 am »
this sounds more like I-robot then Skynet

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2019, 02:35:35 am »
I agree if they could improve repeatability it woulf have been a contender in industrial applications.  Im surprised they havent figured that out using AI software with camera.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf