Author Topic: Hi all mystery avo mk8  (Read 2773 times)

Offline m3vuvTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
Hi all mystery avo mk8
« on: September 07, 2021, 02:18:26 pm »
I have just had a new to me avometer mk8 delivered just wondered what model it is as ,it seems a bit of an oddball!,firstly the round moulding where th mk is is blank and totaly flat so no embosing with the mk number also it has the normal bakelite case with like a steel outer case ontop of that , i am just puzzled as too what mk it is there are no miltary crows feet markings on it,the serial number is ,7012-c-153 ,also is it advisable to lubricate the meter movement say with some say sewing machine oil ?,got from a recycle firm via ebay £1 all in with original grabber probes seems to work flawless with new batterys fitted.I imagine its a mk1,theres calibration dater written on the rear of the meter scale last one was 1976,still seems accurate against my fluke dmm  tho.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
Re: Hi all mystery avo mk8
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 04:08:05 pm »
Please do *NOT* destroy a collectable  analog meter by attempting to lubricate its movement with *ANYTHING* let alone something as inappropriate as sewing machine oil.

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
  • Renovating Old Test Equipment & Calibration ..
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 04:37:36 pm »
Definitely no oil . I had one many moons ago .
It got swiped or lost when we moved .
Under the metal plate there are the batteries.
The original battery was square 1.5 everready
But I guess that got replaced. 
To remove the plate don't remove the screws they just need loosening and flip forward.
They are really great analogue meters .
Nice find  :-+
I think there is a ruby jewel on the pivot
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 06:58:42 pm by Labrat101 »
"   All Started With A BIG Bang!! .  .   & Magic Smoke  ".

Offline fcb

• Super Contributor
  • Test instrument designer/G1YWC
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 06:22:08 pm »
I've got what looks like a AVO Model 8 MKIV with a metal case (bronze hammerite), believe these are ex-NATO.  SN 3535.1267 (on meter scale).
Mine is in a green leather case with "TEST SET MULTIRANGE NO1" written on it as well as the AVO logo.
There was once a label inside with a very faded Germanic sounding name "Hans Dieter ?iel" in a flowery script.

NATO code: 6625-99-105-7056 on the case and 6625-99-105-7050 written on the meter scale.
The manual is part 93014, in natty orange. No reference to MK8 written.  It also goes to 3000V not the standard 2500V.
https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 08:42:35 pm »
so any clues as too what i have?, decided not to lube anything,just replaced the main case as the original is rusty,may deust it with electrolysis and respray it,there was atypo,it was £17 not £1.

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 08:49:27 pm »
so any clues as too what i have?, decided not to lube anything,just replaced the main case as the original is rusty,may deust it with electrolysis and respray it,there was atypo,it was £17 not £1.
How about some photos  .   :-+
       I dough you have 1  version as that was released in 1928   . Its probably a MK v3 or v4 .    yours Jan 53

The last digits “661” means that this unit was manufactured in June of 1961. example date code
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 08:56:50 pm by Labrat101 »

The following users thanked this post: m3vuv

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 10:05:40 pm »
These are two of the best AVO 8 pages I know of...

http://www.richardsradios.co.uk/test.html

(Especially the history page): http://www.richardsradios.co.uk/avometersdata.html

https://www.petervis.com/avo-meters/avo-meters.html

(Owner of an AVO 9 MkII)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 10:21:04 am by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: m3vuv

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 10:46:24 am »
Just one other caution (apart from not oiling it!). Do not touch the AlNiCo magnets with a screwdriver - you will weaken the magnetic field, possibly to the point where the movement sensitivity drops below the required level - 37.5uA FSD in the case of the AVO 8/9.

It is best to read and digest the service manual before touching anything (I can't remember where I found it, probably on the Richards Radios site, but I did a lot of web searching). AVO 8 MK1/II service manual attached...
Best Regards, Chris

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2021, 04:35:33 pm »
See also if interested (attachment)  the Instructions For Use label on the back of my NATO model (ed. same stock numbers as given above).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 04:40:53 pm by armandine2 »
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2021, 08:34:30 pm »
i have all that already,what is throwing me is why the metal case over the bakelite one?,thought they were for the amy/mod models,also the smooth round raised moulding where it ushally says the mk version inbetwen the two range knobs?

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2021, 08:49:30 pm »
i have all that already,what is throwing me is why the metal case over the bakelite one?,thought they were for the amy/mod models,also the smooth round raised moulding where it ushally says the mk version inbetwen the two range knobs?
It was the style .Made to Last . The metal is to shield the meter from magnetic field influence . MK is on the ohms set button may have worn off . Must have had a ruff life if someone had there finger on that all the time
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 08:52:35 pm by Labrat101 »

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2021, 07:08:01 am »
Also to be noted that if these have been in use ie. on military, the unit might have seen several repair and refurbishing rounds as these were not exactly cheap meters back in the day... I do also have one ex-military unit (aprox. 1965 model) calibrated last time in 2003 by military, by stickers it have been used in radar and radio service.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2021, 08:13:19 pm »
well solved,i should of gone to specsavers lol,on the plate on the rear of the metal case it says 8x panclimatic,also the resistors inside the case are black with panclimatic marked on them.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2021, 01:33:17 pm »
some pics hopefully comming up, i am removing the rust on the outer case using electrolysis,one pic is the crud comming off of it,enjoy. may have to do a few uploads due to filesize.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2021, 01:35:49 pm »
and another.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2021, 01:37:59 pm »
another pic.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2021, 01:40:07 pm »
another one.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2021, 09:46:55 pm »
well,after struggling trying to get the bakelite case out of the steel case,i resorted to smashing it out!,wasnt realy bothered as i had another spare,the spare had a damaged corner,so made a mould for the busted corner out of bits of the case i smashed up,i smeared the inside corner of the steel case with grease,as a release agent,then pilled a big wad of p40 after inserting the damaged bakalite case into the steel outer,then befor the fiberglass mix set i clamped the old piece of bakelite corner piece on the inside of the two cases with a pair of mole grips and let it set,after some carefull trimming with a rotary burr if tits together like a glove,i mixed coffee powder in the resin,it almost matches color wise,not to bothered as i will spray it and its not visible once the metal outer is fitted,talking of which what color should the steel outer be,hard to tell as it was repainted badly and the inner surface of the steel was a sort of gold hammer finish,its just in self etch primer at the moment,will buy some spray paint and clearcoat when i know what color to get,will post pics later.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2021, 12:53:15 am »
few pics of the meter finished,will have to make multiple posts due to file size,the lettering was redone with a car touch up pen as per pic,it has a brush and a hollow needle,makes it a lot better for doing the embossed lettering on the front of the meter.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2021, 12:54:04 am »
another pic.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2021, 12:55:22 am »
ditto