Author Topic: PIC: Is there a way to recover a dead PICKIT 4?  (Read 3496 times)

Offline capella_benTopic starter

PIC: Is there a way to recover a dead PICKIT 4?
« on: May 04, 2021, 10:28:42 pm »
Hey guys.  I'm just a hobbyist, but I have managed to kill 2 PIC Kit 4's recently. 

I'm pretty sure I'm using them as designed but it seems they are VERY fragile.  After a while they start to complain about programming speed and generally get temperamental.  Eventually they won't connect at all. 

So I tried to do the "Hardware Tool Emergency Boot Firmware Recovery" but that has almost bricked it.  I say almost as I can still see it in Device Manager (Windows 10).  There is no light on the PK4 and MPLab won't recognise it.  I have also tried it on multiple computers.

Is there any hope? 

Many thanks

Ben

Online westfw

• Super Contributor
Re: PIC: Is there a way to recover a dead PICKIT 4?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 12:19:12 am »
Microchip is rumored to have a good replacement policy for their programmers (unlike Atmel.)

Offline Dabbot

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 12:37:44 am »
You've gone through two already? Try the MPLAB Snap this time.

Offline MikeK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 12:26:00 pm »
Official PICKit's, or clones?

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 03:36:53 pm »
I've recently had to replace the usb connector on one of my PK4 because it would get intermittent connections.. When i removed the old one i saw that the paste on the pin didn't reflow :( so if you are getting intermittent connections, usb dropping when touching the PK4 i would try and reflow the usb connector.

If you are using the first hardware revisions, and programming an ancient pic (for example those with MCLR above 12V) you should be aware that you need to perform an hardware mod because of ringing on the MCLR line. it should be on the PK4 product page
see: https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/ETN37_MPLAB-PICkit4_overshoot_modification.pdf

I managed somehow to brick the PK4, i had to go under the hardware recovery thing, it took a while but everything was ok

Microchip is rumored to have a good replacement policy for their programmers (unlike Atmel.)

True. You need to open a ticket on the support channel. we got new PK3 when they failed years after we bought them

I highly doubt there are PK4 clones around (that aren't rebranded PK3 or PK2 clones)

The following users thanked this post: oPossum, DrG

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 09:58:33 pm »
Many thanks for your responses.

Yeah they really do!  the first one was relaced without question after I gave them a detailed explanation of the issues and troubleshooting.

You've gone through two already? Try the MPLAB Snap this time.

That's not a bad idea.  There are a lot of of different options for programmers/debuggers and they all look the same on the surface.

Official

I've recently had to replace the usb connector on one of my PK4 because it would get intermittent connections.. When i removed the old one i saw that the paste on the pin didn't reflow :( so if you are getting intermittent connections, usb dropping when touching the PK4 i would try and reflow the usb connector.

If you are using the first hardware revisions, and programming an ancient pic (for example those with MCLR above 12V) you should be aware that you need to perform an hardware mod because of ringing on the MCLR line. it should be on the PK4 product page
see: https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/ETN37_MPLAB-PICkit4_overshoot_modification.pdf

I managed somehow to brick the PK4, i had to go under the hardware recovery thing, it took a while but everything was ok

Interesting.  I Had a close look and it appears OK.  Will maybe try a reflow.  Nothing to loose now!  :-)

I am usually using new chips (that support MCC).

I got this one from RS, so will go through their returns process.

But I have no idea if I am doing anything wrong.  I am very careful with voltages going into it and making sure the connections to the PIC are correct.  It seems like if you leave it connected to either the PC or the PIC for more than say 20 minutes at a time it starts to fail. 
For the other one that is still working I connect both sides, program the chip and then disconnect both sides.

As anyone else experienced this fragility?

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 04:17:57 am »
ours are left attached 24/7.
It does get warm in the proximity of the programming header (which is where the level translators are).
I seem to recall being unable to program/debug reliably when it got warmer, but it was with older MPLABX (< 5.35), so with older firmware, so it may have been a coincidence.

Are you supplying power to the target from the PK4, or external power? I tend to use external power, the PK4 can't source much current (and becomes even warmer)

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 06:03:57 am »
ours are left attached 24/7.
It does get warm in the proximity of the programming header (which is where the level translators are).
I seem to recall being unable to program/debug reliably when it got warmer, but it was with older MPLABX (< 5.35), so with older firmware, so it may have been a coincidence.

Are you supplying power to the target from the PK4, or external power? I tend to use external power, the PK4 can't source much current (and becomes even warmer)

I also use external power.  Don't want to 'stress' the PK4. 

I would expect you should leave it on for extended periods of time. 

No-one else seems to have the same trouble as me.  I'm either unlucky or doing something wrong.  :-)

Oh well.  Thanks for your help. 

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 07:02:10 am »
Just saying, I had a PK4 melted itself down and have to be replaced, thankfully for free.

Offline MikeK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 04:55:08 pm »
Might get better feedback here:

https://www.microchip.com/forums/f536.aspx

Offline MikeK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2021, 03:58:37 pm »
Recent Microchip Forum thread confirming Microchip's good replacement policy:

https://www.microchip.com/forums/m1171035.aspx

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf