Author Topic: The EEVblog Lab Building Complex has SHIFTED  (Read 13509 times)

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
Re: The EEVblog Lab Building Complex has SHIFTED
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2021, 09:26:19 am »
I have enough gear to equip several labs!
I just can't set them up, and one storeage unit is in the same building.

Don't get anymore test gear without first getting some more Acrow Jacks.   :scared: :phew:
Clearly the building was never designed to support that many multimeters, oscilloscopes and other gadgets.   :-DMM ::)

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, fcb, thm_w, CJay

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2021, 09:47:48 am »
I have enough gear to equip several labs!
I just can't set them up, and one storeage unit is in the same building.

Don't get anymore test gear without first getting some more Acrow Jacks.   :scared: :phew:
Clearly the building was never designed to support that many multimeters, oscilloscopes and other gadgets.   :-DMM ::)

I was wondering just that, if it was the weight of all the TE and dumpster dived stuff that'd caused it :)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2021, 09:50:22 am »
I’d be fairly relaxed unless it’s on landfill…
Northwestern Sydney is mostly on good old Sydney sandstone, so it’ll take a good push.
That or, if the garage is several levels deep underground, the failure could come from a settlement there.

There is soil on two sides of the basement carpark, the other two sides are open. it's not level land.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2021, 12:08:17 am »
Important is to know is if it's getting worse. I would measure the gap, take pics and document it to know if they are continuing to grow or there is a remedy in place now.
Either that, or take the position of complete ignorance.

The FIU bridge collapse lawsuits were unreal but some learning there.
After installation, the construction company observed the massive cracking.
The fact that the cracks were known to be increasing in size, while FIGG engineers saying "it's all good", and the construction company took no action- made them liable.
The Court ruled you must use "independent judgement" at all times regardless of your part in a project, you can't defer it.

Just mentioning in case you are on the Board, they are getting sued across the yinyang in the Miami Condo collapse. You might have some hidden responsibility just because you've noticed it.

The shoring is not really proper because you cannot put a highly concentrated point load on a concrete floor slab. It just cracks, a floor is to support cars not a multistory building. That's what pilings are for.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2022, 04:19:07 am »
Any update Dave? Just curious.

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2022, 04:41:25 am »
Maybe not your blocks, but I remember in the 70s and 80s, there was a LOT of landfill going on in that area (domestic & garden rubbish, building waste etc).
At the time, there was a lot discussed about ‘how long’ it would take for the sites to be stable.
Nobody could agree.
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2022, 04:55:40 am »
Any update Dave? Just curious.

Works are currently underway to patch it all up. They have cut slot either side of the join/crack. Removed tree roots etc.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 05:02:30 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: BillyD

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2022, 05:01:49 am »
Measure the before and after floor angle.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2022, 05:27:28 am »
Ground level

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2022, 02:31:30 am »
Ask your buildimg depertment fo their cut on what is happenikng.. it may contain info you dont posess.. Make sure you get a formal, written copy..
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 02:33:25 am by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2022, 05:34:51 am »
in next "dumpster diving" episode : a whole building !
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2022, 06:26:05 am »
Ask your buildimg depertment fo their cut on what is happenikng.. it may contain info you dont posess.. Make sure you get a formal, written copy..

I do have the full engineering analysis document, haven't really analysed it yet.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2022, 11:42:54 pm »
Be happy you're not in California.. Australia is one of the most stable seismic zones, so its one less cause of seismic instability...If you e ver fly over the state look out for the San Andreas Fault, which you can see as clear as day..

The USGS has a web page called "do you feel it" (DYFI.html ) where people are encouraged to report if they feel an earthquake.. They have them all the time there, and when the ground shakes, things fall down.  ouch.... Australia is relatively quiet, compared to many other places.. Check it out. As an ex Californian I have been through a lot of big earthquakes.. Loma Prieta, Eureka.. Eureka was just huge..

New Zealand has big earthquakes, like the ones in Calif.
---not Australia..

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/data/dyfi/
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 12:08:27 am by cdev »

The following users thanked this post: srb1954

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2022, 12:00:24 am »
in next "dumpster diving" episode : a whole building !

Noooo.. lets not go there.. Its scary.. They condemn buildings for many kinds of damage.. Then if you get the big X on the door, you have to move..

There are all sorts of weird phenomena like little uprisings of sand.. little sand volcanoes, sort of, its caused by liquefaction!  There are also mysterious green/blue flashes in the sky.. I saw this but few people did.. Its only been recently now because oif all the cell phones that videos have emerged of this..

If you see it, you wont forget it!!  One theory is that its caused by piezoelectricity, but in truth we just dont know.. Whatever does it the voltages must be HUGE...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 12:06:06 am by cdev »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2022, 01:42:34 am »

Dave Really would need a time-traveling car to go back in time to make the before measurement.

Those kinds of reports can be pretty interesting when they contain information from the past.. In SF, I found out that my apartment building had in the past been part of a farm. It and its immediate neighbors straddled an area that had been occupied by a small stream..Which had gone down what is today 18th St.  Which was covered up completely with houses.. That explained a lot. Why the basement filled up with water so fast!

When it rained hard there was what rapidly became a huge deluge coming down the street, which would push cars around like toys..A huge volume of water would pour down from the hills around there.. It was several feet deep.. Maybe a half of a meter deep, and moving fast..
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 05:33:10 pm by cdev »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2022, 06:13:31 am »

Dave Really would need a time-traveling car to go back in time to make the before measurement.

That would have been cool.
I did do this:

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2022, 06:42:19 am »

New Zealand has big earthquakes, like the ones in Calif.
And Japan, Chile, Indonesia ...

All are on the edges of massive tectonic plates and suffer the consequences of the tremendous pressures built up by the relentless movement of those tectonic plates.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2022, 05:29:29 pm »
I still have and use those anchors on my furniture, a habit I picked up in California, in the Bay Area. To keep my bookshelfs, monitors, computers, for example, from falling down in an earthquake.

Maybe the shaking is associated with waves of motion from which one could extract angles, vectors? and then if you could do that in multiple places, it might tell you something??  Where  the source of the energy was?

Bay Area was in a real hotbed of faultlines.. Also other mysterious lines they have still not figured out. There are many many YT videos on this.. They are clearly prehistoric.. Maybe Lemuria? Mu?

Really.. those are among the theories..  I am not talking about the demise of the trollies, that is another story.. Public Transit was actually better in the distant past (immediate aftermath of WWII) than it is now! 

I am talking about the mysterious rock walls..  Some people immediately blamed them on the Chinese.. since an admiral has sailed a fleet of huge wooden ships all around the world at one point, and everybody knows the Chinese built all sorts of walls, right?  NOT

This is what I mean.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Bay_Walls 

But I think that is VERY unlikely.. Actually more connections exist between California and Russia.. like Fort Ross.. a former fur trading station that is now a state park..  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Ross,_California

"The first multi-ethnic community in California" the web page claims, but what about the Spanish/Indian mission system?

Which must have been multiethnic..
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 05:53:26 pm by cdev »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf