Author Topic: Trouble understanding Intel ADC specifications  (Read 1329 times)

Online splinTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Trouble understanding Intel ADC specifications
« on: June 17, 2018, 08:48:13 pm »
Can anyone interpret this spec for the Intel 80C196 microcontroller's ADC? In particular for non-linearity it has 0 min and +/=3 LSBS maximum. Fine, but what could they have meant by 'Typical 1.5 +/- 2.5 LSBs'?

I'm not particularly interested in the specs themselves but I'm curious as I've never seen a spec like this before. Was it just a mistake (the datasheet is marked preliminary)?

« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 08:56:19 pm by splin »

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: Trouble understanding Intel ADC specifications
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 09:20:36 pm »
Simple: some people think "0" is less than "-3".  How and why these people are permitted to write datasheets, is beyond me, but apparently it happens.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 02:47:42 am »
Simple: some people think "0" is less than "-3".  How and why these people are permitted to write datasheets, is beyond me, but apparently it happens.

Tim

And they would be right in this case. What is your point? 0 LSB non-linearity is much smaller than -3LSBs. I'm not sure who's simple here but naturally I don't think it's me  :)

But back to the original question, what do you suppose  'Typical 1.5 +/- 2.5LSB' means?

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 04:50:43 am »

Tim

Actually, it does make sense. For absolute error, the minimum (least) error you can have is no error (0 LSb). The maximum error can be 3 LSb in either direction, either positive (+3 LSb) or negative (-3 LSb).

Same for the leakage spec. The minimum (least) leakage is zero. The maximum is 3 μA in either polarity.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 10:29:10 am »

Tim

Actually, it does make sense. For absolute error, the minimum (least) error you can have is no error (0 LSb). The maximum error can be 3 LSb in either direction, either positive (+3 LSb) or negative (-3 LSb).

An error is unsigned (assuming an abs(e) or e^2 metric), therefore writing -3LSB is nonsense.  It should be 0 to +3.  Or omit the 0 altogether because it's understood it can always be better, and obviously the minimum error is zero, only idiots don't know that... :P

Same for the leakage spec. The minimum (least) leakage is zero. The maximum is 3 μA in either polarity.

See, you're one of them, aren't you? ;)  Current has sign, traditionally positive current flows out of a pin and negative current flows into a pin.  So it is meaningful to give both, and it could be important that they aren't equal -- say if the positive leakage component in an open-collector output is due to the ESD diode, while the negative is due to the transistor.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 09:56:58 pm »

Tim

An error is unsigned (assuming an abs(e) or e^2 metric), therefore writing -3LSB is nonsense.  It should be 0 to +3.

Rubbish. Errors have both sign and magnitude. When I look at an error I very rarely want to square it unless I'm doing a least squared fit. Some characteristics may always be positive, always negative or either in which case the maximum is +/- xx

Or omit the 0 altogether because it's understood it can always be better, and obviously the minimum error is zero, only idiots don't know that... :P

Well I'm obviously an idiot then (actually that's probably true  :) ). True, many specified characteristics may have 0 as the minimum but many others don't - eg. CMRR etc. It's feasible (but it woud be unusual) for a characteristic to be > Xmin and < Xmax if it is positive OR < Ymin and > Ymax when it is negative, but never 0, perhaps due to hysterisis.

See, you're one of them, aren't you? ;)  Current has sign, traditionally positive current flows out of a pin and negative current flows into a pin.  So it is meaningful to give both, and it could be important that they aren't equal -- say if the positive leakage component in an open-collector output is due to the ESD diode, while the negative is due to the transistor.

Tim

Ok. Now you've got me confused - you seem to be agreeing that the maximum leakage should be specified as +/- 3uA. Perhaps I missed that the smileys meant you didn't really mean it?

All the above still doesn't answer the question, "what does 'Typical 1.5 +/- 2.5LSB' mean?" I'll put you down for a don't know.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 09:58:54 pm by splin »

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 10:48:29 pm »
I vote for a mistake.  The 8XC196KC datasheet was updated to say 1.0 +/- 2.0, which shows that some other idiot tried to fix it :-//
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 10:53:31 pm by edavid »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf