Author Topic: Blotchy LCD on my E1 receiver  (Read 626 times)

Offline najraoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Blotchy LCD on my E1 receiver
« on: September 29, 2019, 11:54:58 am »
Eleven years old, and works wonderfully well. Prized possession.
The dot matrix display has developed whitish blotches which seem to grow further over the months and years. I have checked that they are under one or other layer of polarizer(?), and not the outer plastic protector. When lighted up by the backlight, the blotches are less obvious.
Would there be any way I can clear them up?
Group yahoo offered no response.

Thank you for any suggestions.

• Regular Contributor
Re: Blotchy LCD on my E1 receiver
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 09:07:13 am »
There was no response, but I show another E1MX which has developed comparable display blemish. This time it seems someone used sandpaper to clean it off, but in reality no one could have, it was never taken apart once assembled in the factory. Ignore the crack in the external protective plastic.
There is a yahoogroups post which suggests peeling off the three layers of polarizer, conductive film and another which they put on originally. Apart from defeating the RF screening needed, such surgery is difficult and pretty drastic. Still, if inevitable, ---.
Do help me, please, if you know better.

• Regular Contributor
Re: Blotchy LCD on my E1 receiver
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 10:13:44 am »
Well, I did peel off the three very thick layers of plastic film, on both receivers. Took a lot of dismantling, and careful wielding of a new sharp knife.

The result is fantastic!

There is some rf interference from the display, feeding back to the internal telescopic antenna, but this existed even before. Nothing you can't cure by adding a wire antenna to push the signal up to above S5 or so.

I write this only to provide a closure to the topic.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 10:16:44 am by najrao »

The following users thanked this post: brabus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf