Author Topic: Capacitor voltage rating range?  (Read 836 times)

Offline mitchTopic starter

Capacitor voltage rating range?
« on: November 30, 2019, 08:50:01 am »
I have a capasitor that's rating is 189...227uF and Un 250V~/Up 275V~ I found one that is 189...227 and 220-250 volt.

My question is will the 220-250 volt capacitor work with the 250-275 volt? They both are rated for 250 volts, right? Is that rating a range between the two numbers?

New?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C0VZA0W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline trobbins

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Capacitor voltage rating range?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 10:11:55 pm »
Un is the rated continous rms max voltage.  Up is a short duration, limited no of events, peak rms level that doesn't cause degradation. Similar to electrolytic ratings that comply with xxxx standard.

Offline mitchTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 04:43:38 am »
Un is the rated continous rms max voltage.  Up is a short duration, limited no of events, peak rms level that doesn't cause degradation. Similar to electrolytic ratings that comply with xxxx standard.

So Un220 & Up250 for the one on Amazon, so it could work?
I'm completely new to electronics.

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 04:54:40 am »
The closer you run a capacitor to its voltage rating, the lower its reliability.  So using the lower voltage unit won't cause immediate problems but the long run is grim.

It's usually wise to provide a voltage rating higher than necessary in order to stave off the degradation that occurs with more voltage stress.  Once the capacitor develops a slight leak in current, that warms it and raises the temperature.  And temperature is the primary cause of failure.

The following users thanked this post: mitch

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf