Author Topic: Help with TDS 7154B Front Panel Driver/Functionality  (Read 8640 times)

Offline denimdragonTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • "Hole charge chaser and wanna-be o-scope fixer"
Help with TDS 7154B Front Panel Driver/Functionality
« on: July 17, 2017, 02:42:08 am »
I have been working on this TDS 7154B for about 2 weeks or so. It didn't come with a hard drive so I had to add one. It came with Win XP Pro so I installed XP pro and installed Tekscope 5.1.3, Intel ethernet driver, TekVISA is installed, and currently I'm using the stock Windows video drivers.

I was using  TiN's post here https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tek-csa7404-repair-project on the CSA 7404 as a reference for drivers as the systems are similar. However, I can't get the Front panel to work with the Front Panel V.1.0 driver. I'm not sure if it's me or the driver won't work for this scope.

I also couldn't get the display driver to work either. If anyone has any info, it would be greatly appreciated. I need the front panel control to work in order to check the rest of the scopes functionality. I purchased this scope to be my "ace in the hole" scope, but if I can't figure out this driver situation, I'll have to pull the remaining strands of hair out of my head. NO ONE wants that, I'm ugly enough as it is  :-DD
"Hi there. I'm short in the hair department, do you mind if I pull a few strands from your head? Thanks!"

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
Re: Help with TDS 7154B Front Panel Driver/Functionality
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 09:27:53 am »
I think I can help. Try these front panel drivers and we'll go from there.
What is the graphics chip?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 01:43:57 pm by Jwalling »
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 09:35:35 am »
Here's a screen shot of a Ghost image I have for the TDS7104B.
Maybe the Tvia display driver is what you need?
Jay

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 09:39:11 am »
It's only 848KB zipped, so here it is.
Jay

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 01:31:15 pm »
It's only 848KB zipped, so here it is.

This driver worked for the video! Tekscope is showing waveforms (even if it's just straight lines. It's great to see some progress). Also the Tiva chip is what's on the Bridge Board. That's one down thanks to you J.

Also, I'm thinking that I am trying to install the front panel driver the wrong way. I'm not a genius when it comes to that. I have been right clicking the .inf file and then clicking "Install" from the drop down menu. TiN had told me that the front panel should show up in device manager as a USB device but I didn't see any "?" by the USBs in device manager like I did with VGA controller and PPC board. I have looked but can't find it. Is my approach all wrong? I was thinking I could hunt it down but I haven't been able too.

Below I have some pics. The first one is of how DM looked prior to the Tiva Driver install a few minutes ago. The second one is after the Tiva driver. The other pictures are of device manager USB and HID on the tree and also the error message in TekScope concerning the Front panel. I really think I'm not installing the driver properly for FP.

Thanks again for your help J.  :-+
"Hi there. I'm short in the hair department, do you mind if I pull a few strands from your head? Thanks!"

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 01:36:12 pm »
You need to find the FP USB device in device manager, right-click on it, and select update driver. Point to the inf file.
Jay

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 01:43:38 pm »
You need to find the FP USB device in device manager, right-click on it, and select update driver. Point to the inf file.

It should be one of these USB branches I have marked in the picture correct?
There's only 4 physical USB ports on the back panel, I'm thinking that the 5th one is the FP?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 01:46:52 pm by denimdragon »

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 01:51:32 pm »

It should be one of these USB branches I have marked in the picture correct?

Not sure and I don't have a B scope at the moment to check. It won't be the Intel or mass storage device...
Bring up the properties on the others and get the VID (vendor ID). You're looking for a Tek device.
You can go here: https://usb-ids.gowdy.us/read/UD/
Tektronix is 0699

EDIT: There may be others - those are just the ones that begin with 0!

I seem to have two versions. I'll put them both here. I  think the one I posted previously is 2.0

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 01:54:21 pm by Jwalling »
Jay

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 02:10:41 pm »
The 2.0 driver appears to be for
%USB\VID_0699&PID_0101.DeviceDesc%=TekFPUsb.Dev, USB\VID_0699&PID_0101
The 1.0 driver appears to be for

So they are for the same device; just an updated driver in 2.0
Jay

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 02:26:40 pm »
The 2.0 driver appears to be for
The 1.0 driver appears to be for

So they are for the same device; just an updated driver in 2.0

Ok. I'm about to check now.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 05:11:33 pm »
So I couldn't find anything in the device manager saying FP USB. I think when I disconnected the ribbon cable that goes from the miniATX board (Intel D865GLC FYI)  to the PPC board, I probably have them mixed up. 2 of the headers are marked "FP USB 1" and "FP USB 2". One of these was used for the floppy drive I believe. I removed it when I first started working on it and haven't plugged it up since. I took pictures but I have to dig them up.

I'm thinking I have the ribbon cable plugged in the wrong header. Below is a picture of how it has been connected. If I'm looking for "FP USB device in device manager", my reasoning tells me that it would most likely be 1 of the 2 headers labeled FP USB. The only difference is the pins are reversed on the "Front Panel" header and the regular FP USB. Also FP USB is a common protocol bus isn't it? I'm thinking, in theory, that either one should work. It shouldn't be any different that FP USB for adding SD card slots or additional USB ports to the front of a desktop PC build. I'm I thinking correctly?

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 05:45:19 pm »
In device manager, [View] [Devices by connection]
Drill down to the USB devices and expand
  • all of them.

Now unplug and plug in the front panel cable. Each time you do this, you should see a device appear and disappear and device manager will flicker/update a bit as this happens

Do you see this happen?
Jay

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 05:46:15 pm »
About to check.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 06:08:18 pm »
In device manager, [View] [Devices by connection]
Drill down to the USB devices and expand
  • all of them.

Now unplug and plug in the front panel cable. Each time you do this, you should see a device appear and disappear and device manager will flicker/update a bit as this happens

Do you see this happen?

No change in the the Device manager tree. Prior to this, I also check the header ribbon cable and the flat ribbon cable that goes to the Front panel PCB, so I know both of my cable are good.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 06:10:38 pm by denimdragon »

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 06:15:36 pm »
No change in the the Device manager tree. Prior to this, I also check the header ribbon cable and the flat ribbon cable that goes to the Front panel PCB, so I know both of my cable are good.

Then you have a hardware problem that you will need to resolve.

EDIT: what about +5VDC power to the FP? Getting that?

For now, I would use a mouse or the touchscreen and least verify it passes diagnostics and SPC. No sense worrying about the front panel until at least those are passing...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 06:17:46 pm by Jwalling »
Jay

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 06:32:24 pm »

Then you have a hardware problem that you will need to resolve.

EDIT: what about +5VDC power to the FP? Getting that?

For now, I would use a mouse or the touchscreen and least verify it passes diagnostics and SPC. No sense worrying about the front panel until at least those are passing...

I was thinking that the front panel could be bad. All the LEDs are lit on the front panel, but I will poke around with my DMM. I'll run the test first. I got this scope for a deal (really I steal) when I was in NM last month. I also purchased some other Tek scopes to practice on, but this was one I wanted to learn how to repair because it's newer, and to use it for school. I'll do some checking around and see what I can come up with.

Is there any literature on this model or the similar models? I know that the TDS520 is the only reference I can somewhat use for the others, but all I have for this one is the service manual. Thanks again for your help.

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 06:53:38 pm »

I was thinking that the front panel could be bad. All the LEDs are lit on the front panel, but I will poke around with my DMM. I'll run the test first. I got this scope for a deal (really I steal) when I was in NM last month. I also purchased some other Tek scopes to practice on, but this was one I wanted to learn how to repair because it's newer, and to use it for school. I'll do some checking around and see what I can come up with.

Is there any literature on this model or the similar models? I know that the TDS520 is the only reference I can somewhat use for the others, but all I have for this one is the service manual. Thanks again for your help.

Could be the FP PCB. Since the LEDs are lighting up, power is probably OK. That leaves you with the DAT+ and DAT- signals. Can you trace them out end to end?

If the USB ports have the same pin-out (and if they're on the motherboard they will) try another port while observing the device manager.

The TDS520B schematic will not be of help... And there's no schematics for these unless you have an inside connection at Tek.
Jay

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 07:05:47 pm »

Could be the FP PCB. Since the LEDs are lighting up, power is probably OK. That leaves you with the DAT+ and DAT- signals. Can you trace them out end to end?

If the USB ports have the same pin-out (and if they're on the motherboard they will) try another port while observing the device manager.

The TDS520B schematic will not be of help... And there's no schematics for these unless you have an inside connection at Tek.

I'm going to check those a report back.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 07:07:13 pm »
This the pinout for the headers.

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 07:38:58 pm »
This the pinout for the headers.

Is that pdf from the motherboard manual or the scope service manual?
Jay

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2017, 07:40:38 pm »
Here's the self-test results. Where can I look to see the log like the TDS7XX series?

-Pinout from motherboard-

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 09:27:25 am »
Here's the self-test results. Where can I look to see the log like the TDS7XX series?

That doesn't look good. How about running SPC?
Some debug info may be had through the serial console port. I think the B scopes have one, but I'm going from memory and I've only worked on a couple of them... More info:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tek-csa7404-repair-project/
Jay

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 01:12:49 pm »
I was afraid you were going to say that  :palm:

I did a little searching online last night to try to find out more about this scope. I didn't realize how expensive the TCA adapters are. I looked on ebay and the prices were $150 and up. I can't imagine prices if new (if the are still available from Tek). This started me to thinking that maybe this scope is too expensive for my needs right now. I didn't have the chance to poke around with my DMM last night but I will check around today. With the expenses associated with ownership of this scope, I'm seriously considering selling it. If it's a simple fix, then I might hang on to it but schools getting ready to start so I won't have time (or the money) to work on it.

Either way, your assistance has been invaluable and I have learned a lot. I'll post back later on in the day after I check the FB_USB header for pinout vs Front_Panel pinout. I hope that solves it.

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 01:23:28 pm »
It couldn't hurt to re-seat all cables and board interconnects. Also inspect the board interconnects for bent pins. Lastly, run the signal path compensation (SPC)

And of course, check all DC voltages. The service manual should have the test points
Jay

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2017, 04:53:12 pm »
Failed SPC the first time. I'm going to check the voltages and see what I come up with.  :-BROKE

Quick question, what are the main causes for SPC failure?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 04:54:45 pm by denimdragon »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf