Author Topic: HP / Agilent E3632A "Repair"  (Read 5336 times)

Offline LightfanTopic starter

HP / Agilent E3632A "Repair"
« on: March 05, 2016, 12:36:15 am »
Hello Folks.
I'm Rene, 25 years old and i come from western Germany.

Yesterday i registered to the Forum to get statements to my hobby electronics and help here and there if i need some. Just one day later there appears a big Problem. But from the start.

From the day on that i subscribed to Daves Youtube Channel a few years ago, i got myself really started in electronics. I bought myself a good soldering station, the all known Rigol DS1052E and more. But there was one thing i couldn't really get: a decent power supply. I Searched on Ebay again and again until i got a really good chance to buy two HP/Agilent E3632A Power Supplies for a reasonable price. One little thing: the auction said "As is, for Parts" but i saw many people repairing these without any problem at all so what should go wrong?

When they arrived today i assured that the Line Voltage was set correctly and i plugged them both in to see what they do... well... nothing at all. They switch on, the hole Display stays on for 2 secs and then, nothing...black...hmmmm.

So as Dave always states: Don't turn it on, Take it Appart!

And what do i see or should i say don't see?
The freaking a******* removed the Eeproms that hold the Firmware from both units.
DOOOOHHH!  :palm:  :(
It seems to be a standart eeprom but i don't get the firmware...

Big Question: what can i do now???  :-//
Does someone of you have the same model from HP or Agilent and can read out the fware and give it to me so i can burn another Eeprom?

It would be great if someone could help me with this "little" problem.
Thx

Regards
Rene

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Re: HP / Agilent E3632A "Repair"
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 01:12:46 am »
there's mor ethan the eprom missing.the main asic and the 5 pin cherry voltage regulator are gone too on that picture . total loss....
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 01:24:16 am »
 :'(
thank you anyway.

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 09:29:18 am »
It was late at night when i made the Photo so...
I watched the board again and there is even more missing. I will see if i can get the most of the components elsewhere but the eeprom must be provided by keysight but something tells me, it will cost a fortune. We well see...
Regards

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 09:46:20 am »
Are both of these have the same parts missing?

This seems to be a huge effort to get them repaired, if you even can get the parts?
How are the outside conditions?
May be better to sell them for parts again and find a better deal.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 10:47:23 am »
They're a littlebit different. The HP one is missing the eeprom, and a few other components but the agilent is missing a big cpu like chip underneath as well.

The outside Condition of both supplies is great.
Maybe i sell one and keep the other one. Maybe i can get one that is working but the Case is broken so i can easily repair it.
Thanks,
Rene

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 06:24:57 pm »
Hi Rene,

Welcome to the forum. If you're unable to get all the parts you need between the two power supplies you have and you don't want to resell them, yet, here are what appear to be two boards for the E3632A.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Hewlett-Packard-E3632-60002-C-3836-Y3-Power-Supply-Board-T55416-/361507829795
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Hewlett-Packard-E3632-60002-C-3836-Y3-Power-Supply-Board-T55417-/361507829813

The description says they were from working supplies. It looks like they at least have the parts you need, although the one with the heat sink obscures the view.

Note that they're in the US, so shipping, tax, etc. are a consideration. It may end up costing too much, but thought I'd let you (or others who could use them) know that it's an option.

Edit: Also note that the one without the heatsink is obviously missing pass transistors, etc. These boards have been for sale for quite some time, so you may be able to negotiate a better price on them.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 06:30:13 pm by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 06:55:44 pm »
THAAAAANK YOU!  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Bought one of the Boards with the heat sinks on.
Great idea! I will keep the other PSU for Parts for myself for the future.
THX!  :-+  :phew:

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 07:05:31 pm »
That's great news. Since you got the more complete board, it might be as simple as a drop-in replacement. At least you have two extra boards to fix it, if needed.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this all turns out. :-/O

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 07:12:34 pm »
I will keep you Informed! ;)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 07:13:37 am »
If you need more info, get the HP E3632A Service Guide - Old version with schematics.

Do you have a reader for the firmware ROM(s)? If so, you can dump them to files and contribute them to KO4BB's repository (where the service manual, above, comes from).

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 11:11:45 am »
Do you have a reader for the firmware ROM(s)? If so, you can dump them to files and contribute them to KO4BB's repository (where the service manual, above, comes from).
Unfortunateli  i do not have a Rom reader. Maybe someday i will buy me one but right now i don't got one. Thank you Anyway.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf