Author Topic: Need help fixing PS2 controller  (Read 681 times)

Offline ev_palTopic starter

Need help fixing PS2 controller
« on: March 27, 2020, 11:13:29 pm »
Hey guys,

So, I'm trying to fix my Dualshock 2 that was lying around for quite some time, now. I think it has some faulty contact or something, and I say this because when I connect it, nothing happens, only the controller's red light turns on. If I press any button, there's no action at all, however, if I touch with my finger the strap marked in red in the attached picture, it sends random commands to the Playstation.

I already cleaned the contacts and the carbon pads with alcohol and cotton buds, but that didn't solve the problem.

It's probably worth mentioning that I removed both of the vibration motors from the remote because they had the wires a little snapped (more than a little to be fair) as they got stuck in the middle of the plastic joints when I opened the controller a long time ago to clean it.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot the problem I'm having and probably help me fixing it? If you guys need more pictures os close ups, I'm glad to provide them.

Best regards!

Offline juneberry

Re: Need help fixing PS2 controller
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 08:33:57 pm »
If you disassemble the controller a bit further, that flex cable connects to a flexible pad that has all the contacts for the buttons on it.  I'd suggest starting by cleaning that with cotton swabs and isopropyl, and while you're in there clean the buttons themselves and the upper chassis.  You can also lift the analog sticks right off their posts to clean underneath them easily.  A word of warning, be careful not to bend the plastic that retains the shoulder buttons too much, as it is very flimsy and easily broken, especially on later revisions where they got cheaper with the design.  Also be sure to not twist the caps on the analog sticks too much when removing them, pull them straight up as the plastic bit that holds them in place on the stick is very brittle and easily broken.  Thankfully however the fit on those is universal and replacements are easy enough to get, but it's nice to not have to buy them haha...

Offline ev_palTopic starter

Re: Need help fixing PS2 controller
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 06:52:17 pm »
Thanks @juneberry, but I actually did that before, only with etanol, which I think that would do the same.

The only thing I didn't do was to clean the analog sticks, but I don't feel that that's the problem. I just didn't clean the flex cable with isopropyl the last time, maybe that would help?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf